Hepatitis B Community
hbsag negative

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

hbsag negative

Hi there all, upon reading all the comments about the post exposure tests on HEPA B, I would like to know if I need to get a further tests since after the 24 days of unprotected sex with an unknown girl that only happened once, I have the hbsag result negative.  the doctor says that the result is conclusive. I dont have any symptoms at all until now. do I need to do further tests?is my result conclusive?

your doctor is so ignorant there are no words for such a stupid, tell him to go back to study at university and quit his job

you are also pretty stupid why do you test you have 24hours to make vaccine, go make it as soon as possible, you should have done vaccine before why wait for unprotected sex, remember to make the dual vaccina hepatitis A and B

the result is conclusive.
after 6 months and more is conclusive

I dont have any symptoms at all until now
hbv and hcv have no synthoms they are silent killers

do I need to do further tests?
yes hiv and hcv, there are no vaccines for these ones and probability of cronic (chronic) hcv is about 90%

thanks stefano. I will do that. I'll get both vaccines as soon as possible. just to confirm, my hbsag-neg result is conclusive after the 24 days of unprotected sex post exposure?

no hbsag might come out even after 6 months, this virus is very strange

you have 48 hours for the vaccine after this time vaccine plus immune globulins is the way to go
i guess that vaccine works as lon as hbsag is negative even after 48 hours, check hbsab titer which is the protective antibody, it must be higer than 10miu/ml to protect.vaccine must be remade 2 or three times but i guess you ll have instructions in the vaccine box
I have 5 weeks potential post exposure counting upto today and at the 3.5 weeks of the exposure I took the test and went negative. I would like to know if I will get the vaccine now,considering that the test was already about 15 days ago the vaccine will be still effective? or should I take another hbsag test again then take the vaccine immediately?... im afraid and so confuse. please help
the vaccine will be still effective?

since hbsag is still negative it won t hurt, it is just stupid to check for hbsag to appear, if it gets positive you will have hepatitis and will take from 3 to 6 months to clear and no drugs work, so just take the vaccine that's the only thing you can do to avoid this or future exposures

after you take vaccine you have to make the antibody test hbsab and not hbsag anymore, in about 3-4 weeks you should have protective antibody
I'm asking if I will have the vaccine this week would it be still effective considering that my hbsag neg result was 3 weeks ago. YOu said " i guess that vaccine works as lon as hbsag is negative even after 48 hours " so since the hbsag neg result was 3 weeks ago, I need to take another hbsag test again and if its still negative then have the vaccinne immediately. right?
you have to take vaccine anyway, any other though is useless, it is like water no sides so if it works that's good for you

only when hbsag is pos it doesn t work, but even thinking about it is useless, take it
yes stefano.but I have been tested 3 weeks ago of hbsag neg. I'm confused since you once told me that after the test I should had the vaccine immediately, so right now 3 weeks have past already and have not yet vaccinated ( which I'm planning to get it this sat ) would be my hbsag neg 3 weeks ago result is still good sign that upto now I don't have the HBV?.
if you have hbv or not is not possible to say, only after 6 months or even little more you can say
hbv has no drugs to reduce virus so if hbsag gets positive you have no choice but have a full acute hbv infection and hope you are not in the 10% cronic (chronic)

after i have said all this the only thing that makes sense it is to get a vaccine shot and hope for hbsab to get positive soon, all the rest is useless because you cannot know if you have hbv or not and you cannot cure it only prevent it by vaccine
hi
everyday I search for an answer for my questions but I didnt find any yet
I have read there is a big deference between the antibodies and the antigen
the antigen was found on the surface of the virus but the antibodies are made to fight the virus
so the antibodies can take up to six months to be made
but the antigen will be detected if there is the virus in the blood and that why it can be detected much earlier than the antibodies
so am wondering how can i test negative for the antigen if i have the virus after three months ??
please stefano tell me where did u find the information that say it takes more than 6 months to detect the antigen ?
I didnt find any site or article  says that
i know u have a big experience about hep b so let's know please
Thank u
???
Have called my doctor today. I will have my test again on hbsag ( hope it went negative still ) tomorrow. My question is, If I get the hbsag neg again tomorrow and take the vaccine after the next day, would that mean that I'm hbv free already?

no the only way to be hbv free is having hbsab antibodies hihger than 10miu/ml (excpet very rare hbv mutants), it takes from 3 weeks to couple of months and shots to have those antibodies (5% do not even responde to vaccine and many shots are necessary).

vaccine is the only chance all the rest is wasted time since there are no good tests to detect hbv very early (window period 1-6 months and more) or drugs to eradicate it, once vaccine fails or hbsag develos you can only pray not to be in the 10% cronic (chronic) hbvers and be in the 90% who clear it by immune system
to confirm, so when my I will have a hbv test tom and it goes negative then take immediately the vaccine is still useless. What you're saying is that I need to wait till 6 months time to take the test. HAving a hbv test tom is useless?
to be more specific, the test that I will be taking tomorrow is the test to screen if I have hbv or not.

i am sorry this is the last time i answer because seams i am talking to a def

why do you test so often if the window period is more than 6 months?
why have you wasted all this time without making vaccine since hbv virus has no cure (every normal pepole would do that next day to exposure at pharmacy...)?
what if hbsag gets positive you can just stare what the virus does until it damages the liver (many years) or it just go away without doing anything (immune system clears it)?
haven t you got from the community that the only cure for hbv is vaccine?

Stefano, Thank you for the advices. I'm sorry to asks you a lot of questions. this would be the last. you have said to me on this post " you have 48 hours for the vaccine after this time vaccine plus immune globulins is the way to go i guess that vaccine works as lon as hbsag is negative even after 48 hours" . Just to remind you that when I have posted here, I have written that I took the hbv test after the 24 days post exposure that goes negative and your response was that. My questions is, since I failed to do your advice 3 weeks ago, I will go to take a test again and IF my hbv test will go negative again, do you still suggest for me to do what you said " you have 48 hours for the vaccine after this time vaccine plus immune globulins is the way to go" ? please help me since i'm so confuse now.
Stef2011-

Is it possible to have symptoms (fever, weight loss, jaundice, abdominal pain) and test negative, but still have hepatitis b?

I tested negative after 7 weeks with symptoms, I was later diagnosed with a drug induced liver injury from an unknown sulfa drug allergy.
Hbv has no symptoms so you have oter infections, not hbv
if you take drugs that s probably the soruce almost all drugs are toxic
Stef2011-

The only drug I was taking was Bactrim DS other than OTCs when needed. Thus the sulfa drug allergy determination. Liver Function tests returned to normal within 8 weeks. Seems to be the normal pattern for a drug induced liver injury.

Do you know how long the liver can remain swollen after a liver injury?
my...bactrim is something extremely heavy, check your liver by ultrasound and fibroscan after 6 months to see if damage was so severe to require years to repair
An ultrasound was performed at the height of the symptoms and everything came back "normal".