Hepatitis B Community
hbv panel results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

hbv panel results

A year ago, I found out I was a hbv carrier and viral DNA was undetected..
I got my lab results back today and DNA was this time detected. What does this mean? It all of a sudden started to replicate? It says, I'm inactive but DNA is detectable. Is it also now likely that I can pass on the virus where as before not having DNA was more difficult?

Total Protein: 8.2H
Albumin 4.8 H
AST 22
ALT 41
viral DNA 444H copy/mL
viral DNA 263H IU/mL

Do I need some sort of medication? Am I getting worst?

you're not getting worst. you're not getting bad.. you're an inactive carrier. the chance of passing the virus at these readins you listed maybe not be zero but is very slim. i wouldnt worry so much if i were you.

a year ago when your dna was taken , maybe it was tested at a different lab than the one you did your blood work at this time. the reason is different labs have different measuring tools ...

the question you need to answer now is why you've done blood work a year apart.. you should have this tested repeated every 3-6 months. you sould also have an ultra sound done at least one a year. that way you're on top of this virus and wont be surprised or shocked a change is happening.

as it stands now, your test readings are fine.. live healthy is the key

good luck
Thanks for your quick reply. I am scheduled for an ultrasound this month and my doctor now wants to see me every 6 months for blood work. What level of the DNA should I start to worry about?
2000 IU/mL is the 2007 guideline limit for a "consideration" of treatment. right now your test shows 263..
Hi Pioneer79,

Your results are virtually identical to mine (263 ml/ul, 444 copies, AST 26/ALT 39).  Your scn has 79 which I assume is the year you're born, in which case will the same as mine. Have u done a genotype test yet?
marky1212,

I have not done a genotype yet? How would I go on doing that?

I'm waiting for my full test results again since I just took it.. I called to my nurse and she said my viral DNA is now 150 copy/ML. I will get the rest of the results later by this week and post it.
My new results came in:

Total Protein: 8.4H
Albumin 4.9 H
AST 24
ALT 43
viral DNA <160 copy/mL
viral DNA <100 IU/mL

My doctor also told me I have fatty liver but this most probably because of the food I eat. He also mentioned to me that it's possible for me to build antibodies to cure the virus. I guess he said that to me hope.
For "inactive carriers", there is still viral activity.  You should watch your ALT.  Consistently above 40 could indicate active hepatitis for a person with chronic HepB.  Say if you didn't have HepB, your ALT is in the teens or low 20s.  Then with HepB 40s could be problematic since now you know it's the virus that is doing damage to bring it up to the 40s from what suppose to be 20s.  Does this make sense?

So you should continue to monitor your ALTs, if it continues to be in the 40s despite low DNA, consider trying mono Entecavir or Tenofovir for say 3-6 months, check your ALT every 2 months.  If your ALT becomes 20s, then you may want to stay on treatment, since you already have a fatty liver.  This is not to scare you but a way to make sure you protect your liver.

I received my new test recently and it doesn't look good and I'm worried...

Total Protein 7.7 6.4 - 8.2 g/dL
Albumin 4.3 3.2 - 4.7 g/dL
AST 22 0 - 37 U/L
ALT 38 15 - 65 U/L
Hepatitis B Viral DNA 14300 copies/mL
Hep B Viral DNA 2460 IU/mL

My doctor told me to take another blood test in 6 months. This look high and don't I need treatment now?
as current definition if you are under 2000 UI/ml you and you have normal ALT you are in a inactive state. (http://www.ashm.org.au/images/publications/monographs/b%20positive/b_positive-chapter_4.pdf)

but somehow this is a incomplete description (so now is research  that this 4 phase to be correlated with HbsAg and the results are good even if some exception exist and until now no explanation on that exception ), so to be more acurate in determination of your phase the flowing test will help:

- liver status by Fibroscan or biopsy (if Fibroscan is not available in you area biopsy is one of the alternative),
- HBsAg quantitative if is possible

Also I assumed that you are AgHbe negative.
I'm a little over 2000 UI/ml so does that still mean I'm an inactive carrier?

What is AgHbe?
"I'm a little over 2000 UI/ml so does that still mean I'm an inactive carrier?" - can be or can not be, I don't know how exact is this threshold bat maybe with the other 2 test a more accurate decision can be made. do you have this test in you area ? Anyway this decision (if you go under treatment or not) has to be made by your doctor, so look for a good doctor and ask for a second opinion if you feel that is needed and chalange your doctor with this second opinion if is different.

"What is AgHbe?" - AgHbe is e antigen, in English is HBeAg (Aghbe was used name from my country).
The only other results I received were:

Hep B Surface Antibody Non Reactive
Alphafeto Protein 2.0 ng/mL
Total Bilirubin 0.4 mg/dL
Direct Bilirubin 0.1 mg/dL
Alkaline Phosphatase 105 U/L

You should look to see if this test are available in you area:
- HBsAg quantitative if is possible

and if are available, discuss with your doctor to perform them and to include this one in your evaluation.