Hepatitis B Community
help!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

help!

i havent dared to visit a local doctors here in England. i come from an asian country, and i was told that i had hepatitis B about 10 years ago ( i have had checks before i moved to england). i am only a student right now, and am so scared about visiting a doctor.

i have no symptoms at all of hepatitis B, but because i have had it for more than 6months, does this mean that the infection is definitely chronic? is there a chance that i no longer have the virus? and is it vital that i visit the doctors?
just go to a doctor to have blood work done to see what your status is. your immune system may have fought off the virus and now you just have antibodies.   If it was me i would want to know if i had HBV as it is very treatable. and also to see if i was a carrier so not to pass it on to inocent people.
You need to find out to determine the best course of action.  You may be an inactive carrier who don't need treatment.  But you won't know that until you see a doctor and order up some blood test.  Good luck.
ive jsut booked a blood test tomorrow. all i can do is hope now. thanks for your help
something else... is it possible for someone with chronic hepatitis B to only be a carrier of the disease? or is it definitely that there will be damage to the liver?
by "carrier" i mean an inactive carrier
Even inactive carriers should monitor for disease re-activation.  Inactive carrier usually have less virus in their system.  Fewer virus, less damage.  But the virus is still there, when you have a immune response, killing the virus, the host liver cell goes with it.  So during the course of the disease there's definate damage, hopefully to the lesser degree.  That's why you should monitor, to be on top of it.  
ok thanks. so is there any chance that i actually no longer have the disease/virus despite the fact that i had/have chronic hepatitis B?
If you have the virus for 6 month to 1 year, you are likely chronic and that means you will likely have the virus for the rest of your life.
is it true then that some inactive carriers of the virus will live a long life that will not be affected by liver damage?
Yes.  For inactive carriers, the odds are in their favor that they will die from something else other than a bad liver.
ok thanks for that piece of information.... hoping in an inactive carrier. blood test results come back in a week. i'll keep you all posted...
Help me I what I should do.
I doubt whether I have Hepatitis or not. I have sex with a woman who had been treated Hepatitis when she was 17 years old. She is now 45 year old at present. She said that she had been treated so her's is inactive. Can it be transmitted in this case. I dont have any symtoms (symptoms) of it right now but i scare I might have Hapatitis. What shall I do? If I have, Will I be treated in this initial stage. Its only about six months from the day I have sex with her.
"Can it be transmitted in this case."

Yes.  See a doctor, get tested to be safe.