Hepatitis B Community
hep B and doctors training

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

hep B and doctors training

I am doctor and recently tying to join residency trainining programme.I am HEP-B + on carrier status PCR + .viral load 95mIU.   HBeAg _  ,HBsAg +.    I want to ask which specilities will be suitable for me for training so that there is no  chance of  transmission to patient and no restriction on my practice.thank you.
Personally I think you can practise any specialties especially with your very low viral load. But then I am not a doctor. There was a very significant ruling recently in the USA regarding medical schools barring Hepatitis B students/trainees from completing their courses and training. The US Department of Justice had issue warning to the universities that it is illegal to do so. Also CDC had also issued guidelines and saw no restrictions on the students/trainees.

"The updated CDC recommendations, based on the most current scientific information, dispel many myths associated with hepatitis B and provide guidance to health-related schools on managing students with the virus.  The CDC also notes that since the last update of the recommendations in 1991, there have been no reports of hepatitis B transmission in the United States or other developed countries from medical or dental students to patients.  Among other recommendations, the CDC recommends that chronic hepatitis B virus infection, in itself, should not preclude the study or practice of medicine, surgery, dentistry or allied health professions."

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/June/13-crt-671.html
thank you stephen for your time and interest.it was very helpful.