Hepatitis B Community
hepa b

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

hepa b

my boyfriend has hepatits b virus but i was vaccinated and completed the 3 shots and before i was given that i already had my titer test and the result was negative then last june 2011 i checked my antibodies and the result was 10U /mL then I get my booster dose last july 2011 then after that I didnt checked my antibidies again then by the month of august 2011 up to now i have unprotected sex with my boyfriend.. my question is since i completed the 3 shots and had my booster shot am I protected from the virus even my partner is infected.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
The complete vaccine series induces formation of protective antibody levels in more than 90-95% of people. The protection lasts for at least 20 years and is possibly lifelong. This vaccine is very effective. A person who has responded to the vaccine series will demonstrate a positive result for the hepatitis B surface antibody thus you can check the vaccine efficacy. But no vaccine is 100% effective. A person can get hepatitis B even after being completely vaccinated. Avoid unprotected sex.It is best to consult a healthcare professional and get tested for hepatitis B.Keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!