Hepatitis B Community
how to interpret HBsAg with titer eclia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

how to interpret HBsAg with titer eclia

hey guys!

Can somebody help me to interpret my HBsAg with titer eclia? last Sept 11, 2008 and just recently Dec 2,2008 i took the exam. The results were like this: Sept  11, 2008 HBsAg with titer eclia=1,279 reactive,  Dec 2,2008 HBsAg with titer eclia=1,500 reactive still, Anti HBs= nonreactive on both dates. I am a chronic inactive carrier. what do they mean? are the results indicative of a favorable condition  or is it the opposite?

i really do hope if someone is gonna interpret it well. thanks and more power,

michaelyuri
Tags: how to
What are your ALT, AST, HBeAg, HBeAB, HBcAB, HBV DNA?
my HBeAg is (R1_>1.000) .22 nonreactive, HBeAB (R1_1.000) .27 reactive, ALT is 18 U/L, my HBV DNA is 48,370 IU/ML ( 281,513 copies/ml). These results were taken last march 8, 2008. So i took the HBsAg with titer eclia only last sept and just recently december.

i really do hope if someone is gonna interpret it well.
According to the 2007 guideline:

HBeAg-negative, anti-HBe Positive Patients with Normal ALT Levels and HBV DNA <2,000IU/ml (Inactive HBsAg Carriers). These patients should be monitored with ALT determination every 3 months during the first year to verify that they are truly in the “inactive carrier state” and then every 6-12 months.

You belong to the above category with the exception that your HBV DNA is higher than 2000IU/ml.  Some doctors may suggest antiviral treatment while others may suggest liver biopsy before making that decision.

When you are e-antigen negative with an elevated viral load it is possible that the virus has mutated and you could benefit from anti-viral therapy.  Please read the Hep B Welcome page at this website.
If my virus mutated, does this mean that i can be cured?
No, it doesn't.  There is no cure at this time.
I just visited my gastroenterologist and she said i should take zeffix lamivudine 100mg tablet for 2 years. She said if my body reacts well with the medicine then the viral load will lessen. If it doesn't then the virus would mutate so i  should take another treatment.

I forgot to ask this question to my gastro. Is lamivudine a trigger for mutation if your body doesnt react well with the treatment? she said if will increase the viral load if my body cant react well. Is it better not to treat hepa b with lamivudine since i dont feel anything at all and exposing my liver with this drug could somehow improve or lessen the viral load?
If you choose treatment, lamivudine is not the best choice.
so what can you suggest? should i not treat this with lamivudine? Or  will i just leave it be considering that i don't feel anything at all?
Entecavir is more potent with less resistance headache.
what can you say about my treatment?
Lamivudine is no longer recommended as a first line monotherapy.
But, if it is your ONLY choice then I guess start treating while your viral load is low?  LAM has a bad resistance profile.  Cajim has good information.
What's your ethnic background?  Age?  Gender?

If you are eAntigen Non Reactive and eAntibidy Reactive with a high viral load, you may need a lifetime of treatment.  So resistance will be a concern.  If your doctor wants to treat with LAM only until resistance to LAM is detected, it's a bad plan.

Given your viral load is NOT THAT high yet.  The minimum I would ask for is combo with LAM and Adefovir.  You will improve your resistance profile a great deal.  As Zelly pointed out just LAM treatment is no longer recommended.  If you could get Entecavir and / or Tenofovir, it's even better.  It's likely you have to think long term.

Now, I'm no doctor, but I would discuss the above with your doctor.  

Well, I am a filipino and i am 28 years old.
Are you sure your:
HBeAg is nonreactive
HBeAB reactive

I would retest this.  Because you are a little young to go through this conversion process at 28.  It could be that HBeAg and HBeAB are flip flopping if you are in the middle of this conversion process.  

If it's correct than, the virus escape the eSeroconversion process by mutating.  If this is the case, then you would likely need a lifetime of treatment and doing it with LAM alone is not a good idea.  You may need decades of treatment so you need long term planning for the resistance issue.
Its possible Steven.  By the time I was diagnosed at 27/28 I was eAg- and eAb+.  A lot of genotype Bs undergo earlier seroconversion.
Is hepa b a ground for unemployment in singapore? I mean is hepa b one of the constraints in applying for a job in singapore? I really appreciate if someone would answer this one. someone who is knowledgeable enough about governemtn regulations in singapore with regards to hepa b in relation to employment.
Zelly:  Okay, okay, it's possible....sheesh.  Seriously, it is important ot keep in mind that there are no absolute numbers in HepB.  That's why each has to learn their own unique presentations to make sound decisions.

Michaelyuri:  I have no idea on Singapore.  Don't we have another forum member from Singapore?
hello! i just had hepatitis b antibody (anti-HBS) quantitative test and the result is reactive (121.8 mIU/mL).. What does it mean? I hope someone will help about this..

you have got hbv sometime during your life and now you are immune or you got vaccine at birth/very young
What HBsAg Quantitative (Technique ECLIA Quantitative) Positive 329 IU/ml (N:<0.05 IU/ml) means? Is it the same technique as Abbot Architect?

yes if result is iu/ml, you just have to see iu/ml after the number

this hbsag quantity 329 IU/ml is extremely low and clearing infection, is it decreasing fast or stable?if decreasing low it is good to add interferon to current therapy so that clearance is faster
Four months ago it was 1,600 IU/ml but on Abbot Architect.  This time it is ECLIA technique. I don't know the difference between these two technique.  You said if HBsAg quantitative <1,000 IU/ml, then the antibody is surging? At what level can we stop medication?

so the person is worsening because hbsag is rising not improving, the levels are in iu/ml so the quantity is the same with all methods

At what level can we stop medication?

hbsag zeroiu/ml and hbsab at least 250iu/ml
Good Day!
Unfortunately I have acquired hepa B and I dont know where, I dont drink and no vices, I have a gf but she's unreactve as the lab test show. I learned about it June 2012 while having a review cause I just graduated March 2012. At the same time I had a medical for work abroad but it turned out i have hepa B.
This is the result last June 2012.
HBsAg w/ Titer 917.34     Reactive
Anti HBs          0.22        NonRe
HBeAg             1402.95   Reactive
Anti HBe          54.35       NonRe
Anti HBc Total  14.76       Reactive
Anti HBc IgM    0.09        NonRe
SGPT               58

September 2012
Hepa B Virus Viral L   RT-PCR(TAQMAN) MeThod  
                                 >110, 000, 000 IU/ml
                                >640. 200, 000 copies/ml
Fatty Liver

I was reviewing, so I was busy and stressed and didn't mind it, but i was frustrated because i cant go abroad anymore. I was depress and didn't have a serious review and failed my board exam on October 2012. I was simply not having a healthy living afterwards.
This Nov. 2012 my SGPT  is 232 and still reactive, thats why I choose to go back to my home town and rest. This 1st week of January 2012 my SGPT is 170.
Now am having a healthy lifestyle. I have a theory, it was maybe MArch- June that my hepa B started.
Can you help me interpret with my results?
Thank you.

all obsolete, not quantitative, useless tests, check the forum for the real hbv tests, you should ask money back for such a fraud in using such tests which are even dangerous because hbsag mutations are not detected and you get non-reactive while some cases are

only hbsag abbott architect, roches elycsys hbsag quant are good machines ofr hbv tests and can do quantitative which is in iu/ml

hbvdna is not useful test off therapy, jut complementary to fibroscan and hbsag quantitative  in iu/ml

fibroscan is the most importan ttest to know how liver is, without a fibroscan is like being blind about the liver status
Waaah! I have been searching the forums and I cant find the real hbv test in the forum?
Can you please give me the url address?
Thank you.

I will have the fibroscan as soon as possible if this will help me.

these are the tests:
hbsag quantitative in iu/ml with diluition if required by abbott machine

roches elycsys hbsag quantification in iu/ml, no diluition required
Thank you.

I dont know if this test are available in Cebu, Philippines but I'll try.
What will these tests show?
Hi Steff.

Way back 2007, I was diagnosed Hepa B positive-Chronic. I think that it's through " blood screening" which was part of school requirement.

I'm just curious. Last May 19, 2014, Here's what was written:

"Hepa B screening (HBsAg) rapid: NONREACTIVE (-)"
They advised me to get HEPA B Profile.

Then, Last June 28, the result of HEPA B Profile was:

HBsAg w/ Titer (CMIA) 1546.66 Reactive
Anti HBs 0.00 Non Reactive
HBeAg 1744.21 Reactive

Anti HBC Total 11.38 Reactive
Anti HBc Igm 0.15 Non Reactive
Anti HAV Igm 0.14 Non Reactive
Anti HBe 92.18 Non Reactive

For your advice pls. How come that my result last May 19 is different from June 28? Is it because of the term Titer? Is it supposed to have the same result?

Thank you very much in advance.