Hepatitis B Community
medication/truvada

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

medication/truvada

has anyone been prescribed Truvada? If so I would like to know how  you are doing with it? and if it is helping your hepatitis b?  I have stage 4  kidney disease. My hepitologist  just prescribed this med. My labs were not good.  He hopes to get the virus under control so I can possibly get a kidney transplant.  This would be a kidney from a cadaver donator, someone who had hepatitis b. So I am about to begin my journey. I don't really understand the lab numbers, he said something about 151,000? I am a little confused.  I asked him was that outrageously high and he said yes.  So any response would be helpful. The best to all.
i really dont understand why use of truvada which is simply tenofovir plus ftc in one pill, tenofovir is the most potent drug against hbv replication and has no resistance so truvada has meaning as a business way to make money from patients with only side effects added to patients, truvada is more toxic on kidneys than tenofovir monotherapy

the only thing that may justify your doctor is the need to suppress hbv very fast in weeks instead of a couple of months but 151000iu/ml maybe suppressed in few weeks by tdf mono too

as to kidneys have you tried already to reverse the damage?do you have some function left?did you already tried coq10, baking soda?we also use fibroguard (reservatrol, curcumin and other substances) here which is able to lower creatinine in case of tenofovir kidneys toxicicty

there are also few info on gcmaf reversing kidneys disfunction, you should check gcmaf.eu they have one patients on their human trials, gcmaf is able to activate stemcells and may reverse your kidneys disfunction too
by the waythe first thing you have to do is check why the use of truvada since it has kidneys toxicity, tenofovir monotherapy is much more indicated or if you have to combo for a very fast effect tenofovir plus lamivudine or tenofovir plus entecavir

also be aware these antivirals have no effect on hbv or infected cells in the liver, they only lower hbv replication so that there is no liver damage and in your spesific case they allow immune system suppression without the risk of liver failure due to hbv infection when immune suppressing drugs will be used
Stefan. Well this is where it is all going to. Truvada for us. When I was over at UCLA Aids center here in LA six years ago they wanted to give me truvada.

In all fairness these hiv infections disease docs know more then the gastro guys that treat us.  because they treat patients who sometimes have hiv hbv and hcv infections.

But again for us nucs are not needed. They slow down cell growth. Nucs were developed originally for cancer exactly because of it. Which makes sence to use them on HiV patients to slow the virus down. Since it also infects every cell.

The mechanism of action of this chemo therapy as i was told in plain words. Is that they slow down cell division. Thus the virus since it is main job to stay alive not creating so many copies to reinfect new sells.

And this also explains why when we stop the therapy viral load jumps back up. Immune system is starting to attack hbv and kill off infected cells. Virus is making more copies.

That said this chemotherapy does have  its pluses in uses in combo with immune enhancers like interferon but not for a long period of time - years like they are treating us..
I think they are going to truvada to not have to worry ever about resistance.

Which is again a big IF there is such a thing as hbv resistance to these medications. For all we know research could be also based on HiV data. I mean I dont really trust anyway what these drug companies put out as research data. Because they would have known that TDF for hbv half dose of hiv dose is all that is needed. And they are coming to this conclusions only now  based on what is reported to them by patients and treating docs.

But again taking tdf + etv is kind if same as taking one pill truvada. So i dont think there is a right o wrong way to taking nucs.

We hbv patients dont need nucs. We need immune therapy. and to detox the body. And so far the mainstream medicine is ignoring it. And holistic docts just dont have the means to tackle hbv completely.

Gsmaf high  vitamin c and d3 doses with zadaxin or peg maybe the ticket out of this hell life we live in.

All this with Replicor or GS9620 med could work too better then poising yourself with nucs.