Hepatitis B Community
needle stick

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

needle stick

I am working as a new nurse in a hospital, yesterday i had a needle stick accidentally in my finger after performing an IM injection for a patient, i think the needle stick was superficial bcoz i didn't even bleed from my finger, but really am so afraid now bcoz i  searched the net and found that HBV is transmitted easily through needle sticks
by the way before 2 months i started  HBV  vaccination schedule, i took the first dose before 2 months and the 2nd dose before 1 month, and after 4 months i will be taking the third dose

please tell me what is the risk for me in this case and what shall I do?? I didn't bleed at all at that time, is this enough to avoid the virus from entering?? and the first 2 doses of the vaccine will they protect me??
am really frightened...  how can i make sure that nothing bad had happened?
please tell me what is the risk for me in this case and what shall I do??

--Based on your description, the risk is low.  You are already in the process of vaccination.  Monitor HBsAB with lab tests.

I didn't bleed at all at that time, is this enough to avoid the virus from entering??

--Hard to say.

and the first 2 doses of the vaccine will they protect me??

--Think so.

--Do what needs to be done, which you have.
I do hope that you notified the hospital right away. They have a protocol that all employees with needle sticks are supposed to follow that is required by their insurance company.

If you haven't told them yet, you should. You will get in more trouble if they find out some other way than you will if you voluntarily tell them.

Good Luck!
Diane
thank u
I did the test 2 hours ago, tomorrow i will have the results
they will test me for HBV, HCV, HIV
if they where negative shall i relax a little bit?? and how much is the possibility to have +ve results for any of them after 3 months when i test them again??
also they will test for HBsAB to evaluate the vaccine
if they where negative shall i relax a little bit??

--Yes.

and how much is the possibility to have +ve results for any of them after 3 months when i test them again??

--Low.