past hepatitis and its effect on future liver tests
I suffered a bout with hepatitis 'B' (I think it was) about 35 yrs ago.  Ive had several blood tests over the last decade, and historically, many of them are slightly high.  In the last decade, the range of values has been from AST: 38 to 70, and ALT: 44 to 77.  I havent had a drink in 20 years, so the only thing I can attribute the borderline values to is that long ago bout with Hepatitis.  IF it matters, i do weight training daily, and consume a fairly high protein diet, consuming my body weight in grams of protein daily.  To try and assuage my liver function, I also take daily doses of Silymarin.

Could my past bout with hep be influencing these tests slightly?  High protein diet?  
I got infected with hepatitis B and hepatitis C in the early 80's. I had no symptoms at that time and did not know I had become infected with these viruses. In 1995 I was diagnosed with chronic hepatitis C and antibodies for hepatitis B (not chronic, cured). I still had no symptoms.

My blood tests for AST and ALT has since then hovered in the same range as yours, ie in the upper normal range. I still have chronic hepatitis C. Have you been tested for hep C? 40% of chronic hepatitis C genotype 1 patients have normal liver enzymes. This is not a guarantee that they do not have liver damage. Also, have you been tested for chronic hepatitis B?
>>Also, have you been tested for chronic hepatitis B?<<

Well, my hepatitis B was acquired during the early 70s, was acute, and lasted the full 2 month period.  I was yellow, bed ridden, and really sick for about 6 wks.  Had to miss a semester of college cause of it.  After this acute period, I healed, and have been fine ever since.  I was given a clean bill of health by my doctor, completed college, and went on with my life.

As I said, not all, but some of my liver function tests over the last decade have been in the range I gave, ie, just slightly elevated.  Ive read where hi protein diets can do this.  Listen to this:

"... However, elevated levels of ALT do not automatically mean that medical problems exist.Fluctuation of ALT levels is normal over the course of the day, and ALT levels can also increase in response to strenuous physical exercise [1].  "

This sounds like me...
Clean slate for hep B, wonderful! Sounds to me you have already found information that could apply to you. Can't help you any more then. Have you asked your doctor what he thinks might be the cause of your borderline values of ALT and AST?