Hepatitis B Community
please help, need more info about cousin's condition

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

My  cousin is on her first trimester of her pregnancy, and she was just diagnosed with a non-active chronic hepatitis-B. She was very depressed knowing that she has this desease and I feel very sad for her.This is her first child and she waited so long for the baby, and knowing that their might be complications is not very helpful for her conditions at this moment. I've done research myself about this desease but I lack more informations that may help me out in order to give my cousin the right support that she needs.She was told by her doctor that she has a damaged liver, and may need a transplant after the birth of the baby.What I want to know more is how serious is her problem is this case and what are the risk and complications that she may undergo with this desease during her pregnancy. I would very much appreciate it if anyone would give me a reply and give more information about my case.! Please Help.Thank You!
how can be inactive and have a damaged liver and in a need for transplant ?

this does sound like a very active case..

her baby can get the vaccine shots in the first two hours of birth and that should hopefully protect the baby and get them immunized

as for her, we really need more info on her HBV in order to help give a better and more educated opinion..

she needs to run a complete hepB profile and liver function test so that she too understands her current status with this virus
your reply is greatly appreciated bberry.Thank you. I myself is very confused about what my cousin had explained to me. She said she has non-active chronic HBV, she was infected by the virus since birth so she is a carrier.And just recently they found out that her liver has already been damaged. She also mentionned to me that she cannot transmit the disease to others? I am very confused I want to help her but I also want to protect my family.
It is important for your cousin to get complete test. Depend on other test result, she may or maybe not have the virus at this moment. Her body probably produce very little virus for it to become detectable on Virus count.

If she is inactive, she have small chance of transferring the virus. The best way for you to protect yourself is getting vaccination. It is a series of 3 shots. I think it is for your own safety.
well the virus works to damage the liver that we know hence hepatits.

if she is non infectious then  am pretty sure she ran the proper tests and she is in a great shape to live a long life wirthout having a need for a transplant .

what is your back ground  by the way ? ethinic back ground , that is and also how old is she ?
she is currently having more test to have further info about her condition at this moment. And yes i will have my vaccin appnt soon. Because I myself is expecting my second child and I wANt to protect myself and my unborn baby as well. Btw thank you for your reply.
Im hoping that she is really non infectious because my family are very closed and we love getting together most of the times. For dinner, etc. we are asian and she is 30 yrs old.
Hep B is a sin as Asian. Ask your whole family if they would like to get vaccinated just to be sure. When I diagnosed, I told my whole family to do so but they decided not to. Fortunately, I am inactive carrier. I am living a very normal life. Inactive carrier have low chance of transmitting the disease. Mostly, the concern is exchange fluids or blood, typically, with a lover. During one month dating, i told my bf of my current condition. He reply, "Do you know what Hepatitis B is? It's not a big deal" Sometimes we worry too much. Try not to isolate her. It's a difficult time. I understand your worry. During this time, simply have someone to talk to mean a whole world to her.