Hepatitis B Community
safe to have sex with chronic HBV after vaccination

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I recently got diagnosed with chronic hepatitis B and luckily my wife hasnt got it.I am getting her vaccinated now.

1 is it safe for her to have unprotected sex with me post her vaccination is completed
2 does smooch/french kiss spread the virus
3 What test do i need to get done post completion of the vaccination to ensure that she is immune
4 what is the possibility of out yet to be born children to contradict hepatitis B once my wife is immune.
1 - it is not safe until she's checked for antibodies.  Blood work is done usually after the final vaccination shot. Once she's developed antibodies, then it's safe.
2 - saliva does have the virus but it's unlikely. It's more common to spread it blood to blood. Per the CDC website, kissing does not spread the disease.
3 - blood test to check for antibodies.
4 - if your wife is immune, your baby will not get it at birth. Since you are hep B positive, your baby will get vaccinated and a shot of HBIG at birth.  If she is breastfeeding, she will pass on her antibodies in breast milk (I believe) to your baby which will add an additional layer of protection. Your baby will then get tested after the vaccination shots for antibodies. Not sure how and when your baby will get tested if your wife is breastfeeding because if they do test your baby, the anitbodies they find may be from your wife's breast milk...

Please note I am not a doctor, but it's knowledge passed on to me from my doctors.

When in doubt, ask your specialist.