Hepatitis B Community
shall I get marry with HBV patient?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

shall I get marry with HBV patient?

My fiance did a blood testing and found that he had HBV (positive). I heard that this kind of virus is spread by blood or sex and so on, but if I already had the injection of Engerix B, and found that i had an anti-HVB, will it possible to spread to me through blood or sex? So can this disease spread to me if we are going to have sexual inter course after our marriage? And  if we are going to have baby, will our children having this virus? So shal I marry with him??? Pls kindly help me, it is effected to my life decision.  Thank you...
If you have anti-hbv in your blood in sufficient quantity then hbv is like watter to you.
People become chronic hbv only when infected at birth or childhood so most vulnerable will be your baby, but if it is vaccinated at birth it will not be a problem for him either.
A few new treatments are being developed and hopefully will be approved in 2-5 years and hbv  will be curable.
Thank Rome. Anyway do you have any related article regarding to this? In order to win my parents' mind I may need a strong supported reference. Thus, can u share any office document or link regarding to this?  Furthermore, in order to know that I have enough anti-hbv and to be safe shall I need to do the blood testing more often? Four times a year? Or any other suggestions?

Really appreciate for your kind help.:)
People are considered to be  immune to hbv if antiHbs level is higher than 10 iu/ml but this is the threshold. The good level is 500-1000, if it gets lower than 100 you need  get vaccine again to boost the levels back to 1000. Once you are vaccinated and reach 500-1000 level you do not need to check it very often normally it lasts 10 to 15 years. So maybe you need to check once in 5-3 years. Even if somehow you get infected this is not an issue for adults, 95% of adults recover from hbv within 6 months mostly without any symptoms. Those 5% who become chronic are immune suppressed like HIV or chemo patients.
You can find this info in google good resource is hbvadvocate.org.
and afterall hbv is benigne on adults, only 4% with compromised immune system cannot clear hbv as adults, the route of chronic transmission is only from mother to baby which is also blocked by hbv vaccine today
According to what u have said, HBV is not a serious disease, however, my parents and most ppl in my country think it is very serious, and we have experience many ppl die coz of this disease such as neighbors and boss. All in all, if u were me, would u marry with the one you really love but he is having this disease? :(
One more thing,  I am wondering my dad and bro did a blood testing and found that they got anti-HBV, but few years later they did a blood testing again and found that they are positive to HBV. Through this case, even if I have anti HBV, I will be possibly infect HBV from my husband-to-be as well? And how many percentage???
in asia you did not have any vaccine at birth so there was no barrier to make hbv very common but if you notice the people die after a whole life being infected from birth althoug in countries where there are no tests yearly as you grow all this will come up only at the end late in life
Chronic hbv is a very serious disease, what we are telling you is that it is not a problem for you. This story of your brother and father is antiscientific ask them for the proof - old quantitative tests showing anti-hbs >10iu/ml. I think they are lying to you to protect you.
Nowadays hbv is quite manageable with drugs but many people do not need the drugs because hbv stays low all life, if he is supervised by the doctors he is gonna be fine, hopefully new drugs will be available soon.
As for your question about love it is not the matter of this forum, my practical opinion is it is rather difficult to find a decent non-infected husband in a country where 50% of the population is infected with hbv.
Just do not understand the way your parents think...

Do they expect you to ask for blood test from anybody you speak to..? You do not marry someone who you met two day ago right? So you meet a guy you spend time and when it comes closer to the marriage you ask for the blood test (he may lye by the way) and if he is positive you say sorry I cannot I am looking for hbv neg  guy....? You will spend all your life like this.

Anyway if he is healthy now and his liver is fine he is supposed to be fine, if you need more info on his health post his full blood tests here. You will not be infected due to vaccine and there fore for the baby it is also 100% fine.

I found out that I am chronic two years ago  when I had two healthy children and my wife is not infected I lived with her for 20 years.
"A few new treatments are being developed and hopefully will be approved in 2-5 years and hbv  will be curable."

These words make me comfortable .. i hope it will be sooner ..
Thanks everyone for your advise...:) I will post his full test result in next few days, as he still didnt count the virus yet... I hope e.th between us gonna fine...
Hi Rome,

I have just gone a result of virus counting of my bf, I am wondering how it is interpreted, would you mind advise me how serious is his conditions.  Plus I am not sure how to send out the picture to seek for ur advise. Thanks
HepB can probably be transmitted to fetus, if you are planning to ave babies,,,talk to your Doctor,

Get a new boyfriend..
I think you should get a new attitude. Life is more than avoiding and running away from difficulties, and love is for better or worst. A partner can be protected from HBV infection through immunization, and an infected mother can very successfully prevent vertical transmission to her babies.

Get some knowledge.
hi, you can just type in here the results of your bf so we can share our opinion... they are right... marry the one you love...
HBV+ shouldn't be a barrier to loving someone.i had hbv for more then 10days without knowing. i got married in 2009 and got tested positive in a normal pregnancy routine check. my husband tested negative. my daughter was never vaccinated at birth. she got the normal vaccine like all other children, at 4months she tested nagative she is now 3yrs old , 3days ago she still tested negative to hbv and has the antibodies. so you are saying because i tested postive my husband should have divorced me. please marry this guy
Am hbv positive too can I marry a woman of negative status?
I'm Asian and most likely were infected with hbv when I was a child. Didn't know I have the hbv till 18 years old. Once I found out I didn't want any interaction with dating because I fear to spread disease to anyone. Then at 23, I meet someone and were afraid to tell him about my disease during the two years of dating. I was real careful with everything while with him. I was afraid that he will leave because of hbv. A lot was going through me, I was scared, insecure, alone, and feeling dirty. What do you think the guy you are considering is feeling right now?

Now, I'm 29 and are married to him. He accepted the fact that I have hbv and nothing change from before and after telling him. Married for 4 years and are planning on having a baby next year.
Nice story :)