Hepatitis B Community
tenofovir (viread) and side effects

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

tenofovir (viread) and side effects

I have taken viread for almost 1 year and want to discuss side effects.

First, my HBV profile: hbsag+, hbsab-, biopsy G0-1S0
8/12/2010: HBV DNA ~40,000 copies/ml
10/7/2010: start viread. no specific feeling about it,
12/21/2010: HBV DNA UND
1/8/2011: 24 hr urine test, protein total 192 mg (normal 150 mg), creatinine 1.7g/24h. blood creatinine 1.11 mg/dL.
5/16/2011: 24 hr urine test, protein total 330 mg, creatinie 1.79g/24h. blood creatinine 1.22 mg/dL. phosphourus 3.5 mg/dL
8/23/2011: 24 hr urine test, protein total 196 mg, creatinine 1.76g/24h. phosphourus 3.5 mg/dL.

Everything else was normal. Creatinine and phosphourus were alway normal. Questions I have:

1) Does total protein fluctuate a lot in 24 hour urine tests? I know that it is a concern if it exceeds 1000mg.
2) Are creatinine and phosphourus better indicator of kidney functions? Should I be concerned with ~190 mg total protein.
3) I do have one kidney stone. Does that cause total protein increasing?
4) Is total protein in 24 hours a better indicator or protein in mg/dL a better one? I did notice that my 24 hour urine measures ~ 2,500 - 2,800 mL, since I drank a lot of water to mitigate kidney stone issue.

My plan is to keep monitoring. If it maintain ~190 mg level and not increasing, I hesitate to see a kidney specialist. Otherwise I will consult kidney a specialist. Does any other hbvers have similar stories?

fibroguard from heptech lowers creatinine, i have similar kidneys issues infact i couldn t use tenofovir because creatinine in one week jumped to 1.25mg/dl, so we choose only entecavir

since also nitazoxanide made my creatinine 1.2mg/dl i started coq10 that made it 1.1mg/dl and then added fibroguard and it made it 0.8mg/dl, value so low that i never had in my life, in my case it takes 3 weeks to lower creatinine and if i stop creatinine gets slowly to 1.1mg/dl again

so my suggestion is do start fibroguard as soon as possible and avoid kidneys specialists, there are no cures for kidneys disfunction
in case even fibroguard doesn t work, very very difficult, you just combo with entecavir 4-5 months and then discontinue viread

by the way all kidneys tests have very poor sensibility so keep monitoring both creatinine, cretinine clearance (possibly gfr) and complete urine test.it is possible to have kidneys damage but normal cretinine so it is better to double check all those tests, fibroguard of course changed my creatinine clearance too from about 105 to 120 in 4 weeks only

if you find proteins or glucose in urine that means severe kidneys damage is happening.it is also necessary to monitor serum and urine phosphorous, calcium and Cystatin C.if you can afford make them all and discontinue all this when you see fibroguard make cretinine low, once it is low you dont need to double check with all tests but creatinine is enough

some info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renal_function
just an update.

I went to see a kidney specialist. He didn't believe that viread caused higher protein in urine (the level is considered as weakly positive, not a concern to him). It would be a trend up if the protein was caused by drug.

Suggestion: Regular urine tests (not 24-hour) should be monitored.

you can try curcumin pills or in the diet and reservatrol pills, i believe that s what improves kidneys function in fibroguard, having protein in urine is never a good sign especially if viread has to be continued for life.also nac and coq10 improve kidneys health

i do suggest to add on interferon to clear hbsag if you can