vaccination inquiry
i just like to ask, what if the mother didnt know that she had hep b and she gave birth. i know that it is mandatory to give hep b vaccination now right after birth but what if the baby wasnt given the Hepatitis B Immuno Globulin (HBIG) since they are not aware that the mom is hep b positive. what will happen to the baby? will she still get the hep B?
The baby will have a high probability of getting HBV.  Many mothers in Asia did not know or did not have vaccination then which is why HBV is such a problem there.
Well, I think the question is what if they get the vaccination but not the HBIG.  I think they would still have a good shot of not getting the virus but I don't know the exact numbers.
thanks, i think that's why i had hep B. coz i have chronic hep B and i remember that my mom used to tell me that i was a jaundice baby.. maybe my mom had hepa when she was pregnant with me...and i wasnt given the HBIG shot.. my mom passed away already so i coudnt ask her if i had the vaccine .. thanks for answering my question:)
Oh. Well, lots of babies w/o Hep B experience jaundice.  In fact, there's no reason why a newborn WITH Hep B with have jaundice as a result of the hepatitis.  They generally have no symptoms.  

The HBIG is a different shot than the vaccination.