Hepatitis B Community
very confused

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

very confused

Hi all,
I am a little confused and need information. I had a possible exposure about 4 monts ago. Unprotected vaginal sex. I am a 36 year old male who has never been vaccinated.

I took a hep b and c test at 11 weeks and all was negative. This was a labcorps test that I ordered online.

My doctor ordered a hep panel a week later (12 weeks) and the only HBsAg came back positive. Hep c was negative.

My doctor repeated the hep panel at 14 weeks and also ran a quantitative viral load test and a genotype test. When we got the results back I tested negative for all hep b components. Hep c was neg too. The quantitative and genotype test came back no viral load detected and genotype not found.
My liver function tests all came back normal except the alt was slightly elevated at 69. However, I do drink heavily a couple times a week and did so about 30 hours before my lft's

To recap 11 week all negative.
12 weeks only HBsAg positive
14 weeks all negative with no viral load or genotype detected.

My doctor says it was a false positive at week 12 and I should not worry.

I would appreciated any info anyone can give me.  

he is correct about anything except why doont you get hbv and hav vaccine if negative?

it is pretty stupid to go ahead with no vaccine protection

My liver function tests all came back normal except the alt was slightly elevated at 69

didnt you know that drinking makes more damage than hepatitis?69 is pretty high, the normal value has been changed since years to 30 men and 19 women
i wouldn t be surprised to find a damaged liver under fibroscan check, i'd suggest you check because drinking or fat diet/meat  can make same damage as hepatitis
Stef thank you so much for your quick response. I want to thank you for everything you do here. When the last HBsAg test came back negative he did start me on the vaccination.  The doctor told me to quit drinking and I am in the process of doing that now.  I have cut my alcohol consumption down DRASTICALLY.  Also am trying to change my diet. Because the last hep panel came back negative and the QUANtitaive and genotype test showed nothing was that positive test definitely a false positive?

yes it was a false

very good doctor, he did all things correctly
Thank you so much for your help. I will post my next set of LFTs to see if if the better diet and absence of alcohol brought them down if that's ok? Thanks again stef. I really appreciate the help!
Stefano sorry to bother you just for my reassurance how confident are you that my one HsBaG positive test was a false positive given all the other information in my post?

if you post here hbsag result with method (it should be written with test result) we may know if the machine used is good, also check if hbsab and hbcab are detactable if so you are immune if all negative yo can get hbv vaccine and get immune
It doesn't have the machine listed. I am assuming that the same machine was used for all 3 tests seeing that it was done by the same lab. The HBSab and the HCab were both negative. But why that one positive test for BsAg and two negatives and a negative Quantitative HBV test?  

i guess they used old machines and flase positives are possible, europe has only the normal machines (not new these are available since 2000) and US the old ones

anyway if hbsab is negative, hbcab negative, hbeag and hbeab neg, hbvdna negative it definitely is a false positive.
Yes Stef everything else was negative. If I were acute or chronic would other aspects of the hep panel be positive after 14 weeks?
sorry I had my brother chubs002 write a thread too to try to get some info as well and got mixed up. I am very sorry Stef.  anyways if i were true positive either acute or chronic would some components of the panel show up positive?

just get hbv vaccine so even if you are infected and the inection has not started yet you are protected

hbv is not able to reach the liver fast and it can take even 6 motnhs to start the infection alhough ususally it takes a couple of weeks, if you get vaccine you are protected in anycase