Hepatitis B Community
very low HBV viral DNA Load

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

very low HBV viral DNA Load

I have chronic hepatitis B. HBV genotype is type A.

I have normal ALT/AST.

I am monitoring my DNA load every 6 weeks.

Following are the dates and viral DNA loads:

May 2008 ----    1900 IU/ML
June 2008 -----    229 IU/ml
July 2008 -----    900 IU/ML

I was very optimistic to see the decline in the viral load from 1900 to 229 IU/ML. But last month it went up to 900 IU/ML.

I am relying on Herbal medicine such as phylanthus, and Licirice root. I have been taking these since april 2008.

I am little hesitant about going for medication, since they are expensive and success rate is not high.

I will appreciate any advice and discussion about it.

HR
Are you e-positive or negative?  2000 IU is sometimes used as a treatment point for e-negative HBV.  Treatments can be very effective for suppressing viral replication which is important.

What is "normal" ALT?

Why every 6-weeks?  That's unusual.  Most people monitor every 6 months.  You're not necessarily looking for fluctuations like yours (which is fairly insignificant)...you're looking for climbing viral load or sustained high viral load (high being different for e-positive and e-negative).
>>>I am relying on Herbal medicine such as phylanthus, and Licirice root. I have been taking these since april 2008.

Can you tell us your lab readings before April 2008 and after?
ZellyF:

I haven't been tested for e-antigen. I don't know why Dr didn't prescribed it.

By ALT/ASt, I meant liver enzyme tests. My ALT is 27 U/L.

To Cajim,

In april , viral load was 1900 IU/ML. I got to know about HBV only in april.

I am taking
Phyllanthus amarus 1300 mg x 2
Licorice 700 mg x 2
Milk thistle 400mg x 2
reishi extract 500 mg x1
Vit C 1000 mg x 2
green tea extract   350 mg x 2
zinc     45 mg x1
selenium 400 mg x 2
alpha lipoic acid 300 mg x 2
Vitamin E 400 IU x1

Your DNA is coming down, which is very good.  The lowing has to be attributed to the Phyllanthus amarus, etc.

At site www.hbvhbv.com in Chinese I read a patient taking some herbal medication for two years.  In two months, his DNA turned negative, in two years (latest test date 8/23/08) his HBsAg became negative and anti-HBs became positive.  Herbal treatment if it works takes a lot of patience.

Best.
Phyllantus is said to be very good and i have seen a lot of progress using it myself. I am using pyllantus niruri 400mg  vit. c, NAC, milk thistle and vit. E.
I have been off all supplements and vitamins for the past three weeks or so just to clear my system.
I also noticed a significant drop in VL from little over 4000iu/ml to a range of 48iu/ml and 142iu/ml. I can confidently attribute the decline to the above mentioned supplements.
Be informed that phyllantus is a very strong herb, two or days in a week will do.
I am not on any prescribed medication and as long as my VL stay low i guess i will monitor the situation for a while before embarking on any medication.

With your very slight DNA fluctuations, you are probably eAntigen - and eAntibody + and in the inactive phase of the disease.  Ask your doctor to check you "e" status to confirm this.  If confirm, you don't need DNA every month.  If you are in the inactive stage, it is likely your immune system and eAntibody that is holding the virus at down.  
i was taking Phyllantus  tee for a month. I've been tested afterwards and i lost eAntigen, have low DNA. my doc says i should be happy about my progress

my supplements are
milk thistle
goldenseal for immune - ones
astragalus for immune - ones
lots of water
green tee
bee pollen
vit B - sometimes
healthy organic food

i still get discomfort in URC location if I'm sleepless, smoke allot or get cold. good lifestyle really meters

i know guy who completely cured chronic HCV with herbs.
Your results are very encouraging.  Please keep a detailed diary of your progress with your dosage, frequency of intake, healthy organic food content and amount, healthy life activities, and lab results and please share your diary with us.  When the day comes that your HBsAg becomes negative and anti-HBs becomes positive, not only will you be extremely happy and accomplished, the whole community will be extremely excited too!
Most probably, elevation in your ALT/AST is due to the intake of Thmus extract. Generally, thymus extracts have very high level of Vitamin A. Overdose of fat-soluble vitamins are bad for liver.

Phylanthus, licorice, green tea and other herbs doesn't have any bad  effect on liver.
To: howard_roark

You might be right about thymus extracts. I have given- up thymus since it is not available here in Europe, not that i know. I always got  them from the States through a friend.
I resume taking phyllantus and N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) today. I will research licorice to see if it could be combine with the above mention supplements.
Thank you for the thymus info.
Keep me inform of any development on your test results.
Take care.
Jack.
I Have hbv dna viral 900 per ml. is there any prob
this is an old post, hbvdna test without hbsag quantity in iu/ml and liver damage by fibroscan is a useless test without any meaning about your status