Hepatitis B Community
viral load

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

viral load

my HBV DNA is 101,518 copies/ml and the Ultrasonic scan impression said Cirrhosis is seen. Also Globulin - 3.50 g/dl , Albumin - 4.63 g/dl , AST - 45 u/l , ALT - 51 u/l. I ma 52 years male, Business man, sport man , good health so far, can effort however the cost. What treatment should I take? I am Hep B + since 1990.
Mostly Hep Cers here on board the forum.

However I would think you should have a panel done to make sure you do not have HEPC. (Just based on the cirrhosis(sp?) ) being seen.

Here are some helpful links for you on HepB
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/b/#vaccine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_B
Treatment
There are currently several treatments for chronic hepatitis B that can increase a person's chance of clearing the infection. Treatments are available in the form of antivirals such as lamivudine and adefovir and immune system modulators such as interferon alpha (Uniferon). There are several other antivirals under investigation. Roughly, all of the currently available treatments, when used alone, are about equally efficacious. However, some individuals are much more likely to respond than others. It does not appear that combination therapy offers any advantages.[12] In general, each works by reducing the viral load by several orders of magnitude thus helping a body's immune system clear the infection. Treatment strategies should be individualized by a doctor and patient. Considerations include the risks associated with each treatment, a person's likelihood of clearing the virus with treatment, a person's risk for developing complications of persistent infection, and development of viral resistance with some of the treatments.

On March 29, 2005, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Entecavir for the treatment of hepatitis B.

On February 25, 2005, the EU Commission approved PEGASYS for the treatment of hepatitis B making it the first pegylated interferon to be approved for hepatitis B.

On October 27, 2006 telbivudine gained FDA approval for chronic treatment of chronic hepatitis B. Its side effects profile is generally less than that of other anti-virals in comparison, especially lamivudine. It is marketed under the brand name Tyzeka in the US and Sebivo outside the US. It is already approved in Switzerland[1].

Chronic carriers should be strongly encouraged to avoid consuming alcohol as it increases their risk for cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer).

Infants born to mothers known to carry hepatitis B can be treated with antibodies to the hepatitis B virus (hepatitis B immune globulin or HBIg). When given with the vaccine within twelve hours of birth, the risk of acquiring hepatitis B is reduced 95%. This treatment also allows a mother to safely breastfeed her child.

An individual exposed to the virus who has never been vaccinated may be treated with HBIg immediately following the exposure. For instance, a health care worker accidentally stuck by a needle used in a hepatitis B carrier would qualify. Treatment must be soon after exposure, however.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also seems that interferon treatment is a possible assist for you.

http://www.pegasys.com/about-pegasys/treatment-for-hepatitis-b.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interferon, Tyzeka in the US and Sebivo outside appear to be the most well known treatments.

Whatever you decide - remember to balance the outcome - with the risks and side effects.

Good luck and best wishes.

Meki