Hepatitis B Community
what is the meaning of my hbeag and Anti-Hbe result?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hi everyone.. I'm new to this community but I've been visiting this site to read from your experiences and situations so I could learn more of hbv. I've been tested reactive for hbsag for the past 4 years already but I don't know how and when did I acquire hbv. I had an hbeag test dated december 21, 2004 and my result is 5.32 with a cut-off value of R>=0.10 but i don't have a test for anti-hbe that time. Just this month, I had a test again dated july 2,2008 with hbeag and this time with anti-hbe. my results are:
hbeag (eclia)  -> 3.100    Cut-off value 1.000 reactive
Anti-Hbe    -> 0.994      Cut-off value 1.000 gray zone

AHBe count below the cut off value is considered REACTIVE.
                                   Result obtained is in the gray zone(indeterminate) area.

I want to ask what could the result of my Anti-Hbe mean? I also want to ask if there is an improvement of my status by comparing my results of hbeag a long time ago and now? Does it yield a good result? I'm hoping for your view and advice..Thanks in advance..
hbeag (eclia)  -> 3.100    Cut-off value 1.000 reactive = could mean you are in infectious stage
Anti-Hbe    -> 0.994      Cut-off value 1.000 gray zone = could mean your immune system is trying to fight off the virus

What was your HBeAg a long time ago?
thanks for your immediate reply cajim.. i really appreciate it.

my hbeag a long time ago was

hbeag ->  5.32 REACTIVE   -> Cut-off value R>= 0.10

Did my values for hbeag decrease?

I believe that you are dx'ed as chronic HBV since you have it for 4 yrs alr. You have +ve antigen. The important test that you need to do is DNA VL to check on your HBV virus count + liver test to find out the status of yr HBV. Do you do any of these before?
I am not sure what the value difference means.  Please consult your doctor.
The important test that you need to do is DNA VL to check on your HBV virus count + liver test to find out the status of yr HBV. Do you do any of these before?

>> Yes. These are my SGPT results:

Date                    Test                              Result                     Normal Ranges/value

5/22/04                ALT                              70.   U/L                             9. - 72.

12/20/04              ALT                         HI  85.    U/L                            9. - 72.

1/27/05                SGPT                           42.33                                 0 - 31  U/l

6/20/08            SGPT-ALT                           18                                  5.0 - 40.0 U/L

I had a test for my HBV- DNA only once.. that was just last month, 6/21/08. The result of my HBV-DNA was:   16,100 IU/ML (93, 702 COPIES/ML) What is the meaning of my result? Thank you for responding... i appreciate it so much..Thanks.
ok.. Thank you very much cajim.. I have not seen my doctor yet. She said she'll just call me if we will start my treatment. God bless to you and your family..
What is your e-antigen status?
It's reactive

and my anti-hbe is

Based on the data provided, I would say yr dr would choose to monitor you for a bit longer as yr ALT and DNA VL still consider below the treatment start level. Current limit for treatment ~ 20,000IU/ML with elevated ALT for a +ve antigen. How old are u? Do you currenly taking any medication/supplement?
>>>HBV-DNA was:   16,100 IU/ML (93, 702 COPIES/ML) What is the meaning of my result?

It meant there was some viral activity.  Your condition is manageable by antiviral drugs or IFN.  As long as you are under the care of your doctor, you will benefit from the appropriate treatment that modern medicine has to offer.

Best.
I am turning 23 this coming august.. I am taking herbal supplements just last month.. its active ingredient is reishi mushroom. I'm also taking other supplement w/c is complete with vitamins & minerals for the body, just started taking last last month,i think that was may 21. My doctor have seen already my hbv-dna result and she said that she'll just call me if we will start the treatment. I'll take either hepsera or baraclude she said..
thanks cajim.. i'll be monitoring my condition with my doctor.. take care..
That's what I suspected as yr ALT dropped so much......Pls do let yr dr knows about it as all these medication will affect the blood test especially yr ALT level. This is very tricky as it affects the judgement - treat vs no treat. Dr has to look at yr ALT+DNA VL to decide on the treatment effectiveness. You probably do not need treatment yet. If you do, you have to be clear on your HBV status w/o all these medication. Hepsera is not a good thing to start with....probably baraclude is better choice.
Yes.. I've shown my supplements to the doctor and she said its ok to take those for now but as soon as I'll be starting with the treatment I should stop taking those supplements, she said. As for my treatment, I still don't know which of the two( hepsera or baraclude ) will I be taking because I am enrolled in a study and she said the medicine that I'll be taking is randomly chosen. She said the two medicines are good ones and I shouldn't worry.
I would also ask my doctor regarding the medicine Hepsera and Baraclude.. which would be best to take.. Why did you say hepsera is not a good thing to start with for my treatment?
Since you are so young, drug resistance profile is very important. Hepsera having poor resistance profile, I don't think it is suitable for you. You have to worry about the emergence of resistence and rescue therapy. Of course, not everybody will have the similar issue. Current 1st line treatment call for Baraclude or Tenofovir or combo therapy. Where are u reside?
When you agree to be a subject of a study, you probably will be randomly assigned to Hepsera or Baraclude.  If you are not in a study:

1.  It is already known that Baraclude is much more potent and that Hepsera in larger dosage may hurt your kidney.

2.  Both medications don't cure, only suppress VL and stopping taking them involves many issues.

3.  As Ann8 indicated, you are very young and resistance is better planned for now than when it is here.

4.  There are four phases of chronic Hep B.  The best that can happen to you will be that of an inactive carrier for the rest of your life:

"Inactive carriers forms the largest group in chronic HBV infected patients. Around 300 million people are inactive carriers The inactive HBsAg carrier state is diagnosed by absence of HBeAg and presence of anti-HBe, undetectable or low levels of HBV DNA in PCR-based assays, repeatedly normal ALT levels, and minimal or no necroinflammation, slight fibrosis, or even normal histology on biopsy [3,4]. Inactive cirrhosis may be present in patients who had active liver disease during the replicative phase of infection. The prognosis of the inactive HBsAg carrier state is usually benign. Long-term follow- up (up to 18 years) of these carriers has indicated that the vast majority show sustained biochemical remission and very low risk of cirrhosis or hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) [40-42].
Since you are so young and e-antigen positive I would wait a while to see if you will naturally seroconvert the e-antigen.  It looks like you're almost there already.

How often will you have your blood drawn for panels?
I reside in Philippines..
Any reason given by yr Dd why she wants to treat you now? You need to know which stage you are in before considering treatment.....
>>>How often will you have your blood drawn for panels?

every  6 mos. but if my doctor would require me certain tests, i'll be doing it asap.

Actually I'm confused on what to do..to go on with the study or not.. I don't want to miss the chance of being a part of the study where I can avail the medicines for free because it's expensive and we can't afford it.. I'm afraid with the side effects of the medicines.. but i want to get well so that i'll be hired in a job that I'll be applying for. Last month the company that I am applying in failed me in my Physical exam because of my hbsag that is reactive even if I am classified as class B already..and so I was not hired.
Hopefully the designer of the study has also planned for the subjects in either group after the study in terms of the consequences of taking their specific medication.

As for the company not hiring you, what is the nature of the job?  Does it involve invasive procedures?
Actually she's my new doctor.I was referred to her by my previous doctor.. I brought all my test results during my check-up with her so that she can see it. Then she asked me to have an hbv-dna test.She said that if I'm positive of hbv-dna, I can be qualified for the treatment. I brought the test result for her to see and so i was enrolled in the study. She also asked me to have hbeag and anti-hbe tests which was not yet shown to her.

Maybe I'll just clarify some things with my doctor when we meet up again because I too also have questions..
>>>As for the company not hiring you, what is the nature of the job?  Does it involve invasive procedures?

I think it doesn't involve invasive procedures because the nature of the job is on research and development. position is associate engineer. Maybe they are so strict.
If the job only involves research and development, your status does not disqualify you at all.  Nor are you a health risk to your colleagues.  

Sadly discrimination like yours is common due to ignorance on the part of the employer and lack of fair law on the part of your residing country.

Best.
As what my previous doctor said, it depends on the policy of the company. I feel so discriminated. it's really unfair. So much I'd like to help my parents but I can't do anything. For now, i'm still depending on them.I'm just searching for online jobs and other opportunities here in the net...And I'm just hoping that I will get well soon having my hbsag non reactive..Thank you for being there.. god bless.
I've been a carrier of Hepatitis B 2years back and I don't even know how i acquired the said disease.  i've been living here in dubai for 8 years now and every time that i am renewing my residence visa and having my medical check up, the result will always be normal and not infected with any disease whatsoever.  But when I changed my job and had another medical check up for new visa i found out that I am Hepa-B positive.

These are my results for my lab examination and hope that you can explain this further:

Hepatitis B Surface Antigen      Positive Index    Negative   1.0
                                              4141                 Positive   1.0

Hepatitis B Surface Antibody   <5 mIU/mL          Negative           12

HBe Ag                                  Negative Index    Negative           0.10

Hepatitis B Core Total          >  10.0 U/mL           Negative         10.00