Hepatitis C: Post Treatment Issues Community
Any reddness/swelling in joints?

This forum is for those who have taken HCV treatment, and have been off treatment for at least 6 months, to discuss any lingering or new health issues that may have been caused by the Hepatitis C virus itself or may be related to treatment for Hepatitis C. Some examples are autoimmune conditions, previous medical conditions exacerbated by the virus or the treatment, liver damage, and inflammation of the joints.

Any reddness/swelling in joints?

Hello my friends, do any of you ,who hàve joints pain also have swelling and redness in those joints.? I am 7.5 months post 48wks triple  Tx ,have been having joints pain and tenderness to touch/mostly  in wrists,fingers ,shoulders,kness/ ;however,I have No swelling and No redness in any of those joints,which seems to make my rheumatologist think that I need to see him again only  if I have swelling and redness there.He ordered only some tests Pooh suggested. So far my ANA is positive/was negative pre tx /I never had these problems pre Tx.I know there needs to be more specific tests done since this is not arthritis with visible signs.
of all the joint pain I have the only redness I have is on my left pinky joint around the middle nuckle.  It is intermittent. before I had tx, that pinky would  catch and not bend.  Only happened when I was trying something tight with my fingers like a g chord on guitar and then going back to a c or d chord.  it couldnt bend back.  then after tx it started the flares of being sore and red on the joint on the inside of the joint . right now It is not giving me a problem.  
Hi Naya, so sorry to hear about the problems.
I wonder if the body could still be reacting to the tx.  I know the riba takes 6 months to leave the body but I wonder about the reactions of the body to the tx.
I am trying some anti inflammatory type supplements to see if they will help.
Bromelan from the pineapple is a good anti inflammatory and I am taking digestive enzymes as well with lots of fresh fruits and veggies.

Since suffering this pain from the frozen shoulder I realize much of my problem may be inactivity during and after tx.  I think I may be on the PC too much and I need to stretch.  My physical therapist suggest stretching every day.  At first it hurts but as the muscles start to stretch it feels better.

So...I am thinking that I am going to keep trying this for a bit longer.  Yoga is supposed to be good, I am just using some stretches I found on line.
Magnesium relaxes muscles, that might help.
I will try to think of other things.
Take care
Dee
Hi there, I wanted to mention that I started taking probiotics, eating yogurt and that helped me quite a bit.
I hope you can find some answers Dee
Hi Naya,

I have the same kind of joint pain that you have, with no redness and hardly any swelling, but mine started way back when I hadn't even been diagnosed with HCV much less treated. They eventually decided it was an autoimmune problem caused by the HCV. I've had the joint problems since1986, though they did gradually decrease a little after the first ten years - and they've plateaued since then. I'm still hoping they will improve further now that I'm finally SVR. I've gotten a small amount of help from taking both Plaquenil and Limbrel for years now, so you might consider asking about those. The Plaquenil is a pretty standard drug for autoimmune arthritis, but the Limbrel is unusual. It's very safe for the liver though, and it contributes (for me) about 10% as much anti-inflammatory effect as the heavy-duty NSAIDs that aren't liver-friendly. It's not a lot of effectiveness but its just enough to be worthwhile for me.

I've recently (2-3years) developed really severe osteoarthritis in my thumb joints and am having those surgically repaired, but I haven't had anyone even hint that that might be related to the other joint problems, so I think its just an unhappy coincidence.

Good luck with the rheumatologist. I know it can be difficult to get them to keep trying when they can't easily put a name on the problem.
Hi Dee, Thank you for your valuable suggestions.I am having similar problems ,my L shoulder and both wrists are giving me the most problems presently,in certain positions it feels like they popped out of the socket which causes sharp pain radiating down the arm .I cannot for example pull sweater over my head or comb my hair without this severe pain. I have 1st appointment with my physiotherapist next week and let you know what she suggests-I also eat healthy ,take natural antiinflamatory  like curcumin, I have bromelain  ,probiotics and joints supplements ,magnezium .But I need to do much better on increasing activity the right way ,That is why I need physiotherapist  to show me what I'can do without hurting myself even more                                                                                                          I try to be positive ,I am  still incredibly greatfull for being SVR  and hope things will get better soon.
I think stretching is great , I do it every day it helps me a lot,   keep doing it Dee,I wish you will feel much better soon.
Take care Naya

Thank you Ceanotus for your kind response  and suggestions.I will definitely mention these two meds  that you have been using to my rheumatologist.I want to avoid any NSAIDs, to give my liver chance to recover .I wish that your surgical provedure for your thumb will be success.I learned alot from your posts  over the time. Keep getting better and better. Naya
Thank you His for your response. From your previous post your age and your problems are very close  to mine,  I know how you feel. At this point I have no idea what kind of arthritis I have  ,I will do my part ,and let my dr. do his part,but I will not give up to look for my diagnosis and see if there is possible tx.. Stay positive ,,continue doing the right things ,we must get better soon. Naya
I have pain (and stiffness) in both knees, both hips, right shoulder, both wrists, both hands/fingers/thumbs, and sometimes elbows. I have no swelling, no warmth, and no redness in those joints. However, they are painful to the touch. While the X-rays of my wrists, hands, fingers, thumbs show osteoarthritis, my Rheumatologist said she is sure I have some inflammatory disease going on in them as well. She is basing this on the fact that they are so tender to the touch as well as on her physical exam of them.

I have had all of these joint pains and stiffness for years, since long before diagnosis and treatment.

I am seeing some positive effects from the Plaquenil even though I have been on it only since Sept. 22 (2.5 weeks). It is definitely helping.
Thank you Pooh ,I will ask for sure for Plaquenil my rheumatologist,and I ask him to do more autoimune tests if needed. I appreciate your support. Stay well!!
Thank you for mentioning your problem.  It is funny you mentioned the thumbs, I am having similar pain, thought maybe I was texting too much.  Then I found two Aunts have this problem where their joints collapse in the thumb joint.

I think I mentioned this once, after finishing my first tx I went for a follow up.  The Hep doc noticed my pinky was curled under (from cutting a tendon) and he panicked and asked me when this happened.  It was almost as if he knew it could have been caused by HCV, tx, both I am not sure.  Once I told him that I had cut a tendon he would not explain his reaction. It was the most reaction I received in the 2 years I was with him.
I did read about dupyens contracture..not spelling it right.  I will try to find it.

Naya, thank you so much for asking this question, I really appreciate it.
Dee
So glad you are getting some relief
Thank you so much for sharing, this is very helpful to me :)