Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C Treatment Recovery

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis C Treatment Recovery

Does Hepatitis C treatment kill normal cells?  
What treatment do you mean? Different treatments drugs work in different ways. Some boast the immune system that attacks the virus and newer treatment drugs stop the replication of the virus directly, DAAs.

Older indirect treatment drugs do have more side effect and can interfere on other body systems but they don't kill them per se. As will lower platelet counts, anemia etc. Interferon which boasts the immune system will trigger the immune system to attack other pathogens and diseases.

Body cell are always constantly dying and being created so it is not like normal body cell dying is something different then usual. For example the average lifespan of a platelet is normally just 5 to 9 days. Red Blood Cells live in blood circulation for about 100 to 120 days. Skin and hair being replaced daily.

Hector
I have been looking up this topic on the web.  Can you tell me how this treatment is different from chemotherapy?  Cancer drugs stop the cells
from splitting.  And new hepatitis c treatment stops the replication.
Now Interferon boosts the immune system while on treatment.  So is that why
when the interferon starts leaving your body - you get aches, swelling, pain
and illness due to a unprotected and run down immune system?  Does
Hepatitis C treatment damage cells?  I have read that chemotherapy does.
Best To You
Hi I have read that Interferon is used for cancer treatment but in a different way than we use it.
I know a woman who had breast cancer that used Interferon.  People with MS use it in much smaller amounts.
Funny, after I finished the Inf, riba, Incivek my hair started growing in very curly where it was straight before.  Another member on here told me it was called "chemo curls" and would, at some point, stop.  I am one year post tx and still have this odd curly hair in the middle of straight hair.  I lost about 80% of my hair, the sides and back of my head was bare.
My doctor told me that the tx is killing fast growing cells and can't tell the difference between the good and the bad so that is why we have problems with hair, skin, nails, mouth.  I am not a doctor, just sharing my experience and what my doctor told me.
Thank you
Dee
Dee, Did the triple treatment cure you?  I'm suppose to be, will find out after next bw f/u for 1 yr.  

Also, I have memory problems and cognitive issues that weren't there prior to treatment.  Familiar?