Hepatitis C Community
Trazodone as a sleep aid anyone?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Trazodone as a sleep aid anyone?

evening  folks.....  not getting  much sleep as of late...Doc  gave me a px  for
Trazodone ...25-50  mg  as needed for sleep...did  some  digging on   some of the side effects...   seem to echo that of the present state of affairs im enjoying ;)   well there was a  time the  possible  4  hour erection would  have been a deal   cincher....but thats another story.. lol
.doc is out of town till  Monday..so am wondering if i do   try to use this as a sleep aid..  can i just  use  nightly ..on  random   nights, ,  as required  or   as the   included  brochure  warns..continue  dosage once begun and   do not   stop  cold turkey without  consulting   dr.....

thnx for any input...my best to all
Onwards and Upwards
9  to go ;).
Well if the Trazodone works well as a sleep aid you can always roll over and use the 4  hour erection for a kick stand to prevent you from falling out of bed.
I was prescribed Trazodone as a sleep aid before, and was also told I could use it as needed.   I didn't take it every night and did not have any problems.  I think they put that warning on there because it is also used as an antidepressant.  

I would definitely check with the doc though, because I'm not one.

I can't give you any feedback on the other side effect - I had the wrong equipment for that experiment :)
I have used trazadone before as a sleep aid and it has worked quite well for me.  I believe there is less of a chance of developing an an addiction to it to than taking something like ambien.  The only issue I have run into is that it drys me out, I get cotton mouth the next day.  I also take 50-100mg so it may be cause I take a higher dose.  It also makes me sort of foggy the next day.
thanks   for the replies  folks   have a good weekend
As crude as it sounds, I agree with R Glass.  

Dr. warned me not to take ED drugs with Trazadone.  I took it w/o and ED drugs and was surprised at the "side effect".

Try Ambien, Lunesta. lorazepam instead.

best,

robo
The priapism side effect is rare. It can be taken sporadically as a sleeping aide. The primary indication for the medication is that of a seratonin targeted antidepressant but these days is used along with restoril as a cost effective, i.e., cheaper sleep aide. It does have anticholinergic side effects (drying) and some nonselective sedation (carries over through the day). d