Hepatitis C Community
1.0 on the screening test

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

1.0 on the screening test

To JmJm530.  I have a q for you.  On the screening test for hcv, <1 is non reactive and >1 is reactive.

What about a signal of 1.0?  This is probably a classic case of why the 'Riba' test is important, to resolve a 'weakly' reactive screening test as a true + for false +.
Really haven't studied up much on the antibody tests, but I do know that tests that measure viral load (PCR's, TMA's, etc) will give you a more definitive result as to whether or not you have the virus. The exception is in the beginning of the acute stage when viremia may be intermittent, meaning the viral count may one day be UND and the next day high and the next day UND. During that period, one has to rely on antibody testing, liver enzymes, and other clinical signs to help with the diagnosis.

All the best,

-- Jim
I believe the initial screening test has a high % of false pos signals.  The Riba test is very specific for antibody and a neg riba is a neg outcome for antibody.