Hepatitis C Community
10 years later

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

10 years later

Hello out there,

I did two treatments of the interferon/ribovarin 1998 and 2000.  It did work which I am thankful for. I do take milk thistle which is helpful to the liver. BUT I was wondering if anyone out there has had any post long term {as in 8 years after treatment} or longer mental problems.  I have severe depression and I used to be a person full of joy.  Now it seems I almost do not have any feelings.  Is any one else like this after such a long time?

Thank you for your time
pc
Hi.
Are you being treated for depression now? It you are it sounds like it isn't working.
How you tried various anti-depressants? Different meds work for different people. Only MAOIs worked for me. Strange but true. But at least something worked.

I wouldn't try to figure out the origin of your depression. From HCV treatment or from something else. Just like HCV, the thing that really matters is what you can due to cure it.

Give us some further details so we can help.

I had depression for decades but haven't been depressed for at least 10 years despite having ESLD and decompensating cirrhosis. I'll take cirrhosis any day over extreme depression even though liver disease may kill me, at least I feel alive and not like a zombie as when I was depressed.

Hang in there. Help is out there. But don't continue to suffer.
I and others will help you in anyway we can.
HectorSF
Hello

Thank you for your answer.  There must be some connection between the treatment and depression.  I am a different person {in my head} since I have done the treatment.  I don't regret it because it worked.  But even if it didn't I still would not regret it.  I am just trying to find out if any one else has the same thing going on. It's a mystery.  
Thanks again for taking the time
pc
Hi. Glad you are virus free. That is a great accomplishment.

If you are interested in getting help for your depression I am willing to share my experiences with you as you may find 20-30 years of experience dealing with major depression helpful in some small way.
And as I said. I no later suffer from depression which is something I thought I would never be able to say.

Best,
HectorSF
The documentation that comes with the meds states that it can cause depression. A lot of people seem to think that depression is something that can be reversed with will power. That is not true. The chemical balance in the brain is all out of whack and needs to be fixed. You won't feel right until you do that. Anti depressants are made to help get the balance back. Please ignore any stigma you may have heard about people on them, and get help. Your life can be full of joy again, but not until you get the help you need. 10 years is a long time to wait. It is spring time now... the perfect time for a new beginning. Go for it.
(NaturalNews) Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania have found that antidepressant drugs do little to nothing for people with mild to moderate depression. Countering the belief that medication helps everyone with depression, Robert DeRubeis and his colleagues found that only in very severe cases of depression do antidepressants offer any sort of perceived benefit.

http://www.naturalnews.com/028498_antidepressants_clinical_trials.html
Thank you for your answers. I started SAME this week and have been on different antidepressents for years.  I am hoping the SAME will do the trick. I also take B stress and valarein. I hope you all are doing well today and I hope your health returns. If anyone is on the hepc  treatment hang in there .
Take care
pc