Hepatitis C Community
19yo and Frequent Fever, Elevated Billirubin, and Constant Fatigue help...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

19yo and Frequent Fever, Elevated Billirubin, and Constant Fatigue help?

Hi everyone :D,

I'm new here and I hope someone can help me, I'm a 19 year old guy and for about 6 months I've been dealing with a lot of health problems. I've been passed from doctor to doctor since early September trying to figure out what could be wrong with me.

I guess I'll start off with my symptoms, since early September:

- Chronic fatigue.
- Low grade fever almost everyday of 99.8 or higher.
- General malaise and not feeling well like I have a flu all the time.
- Random pains in my back.
- Elevated Liver Enzymes. I've had an elevated level of billirubin since summer 2012 always greater than 2.3.
- A few episodes of dark colored urine but this has subsided.

Every doctor I went to was stumped as to why my liver enzymes are out of range. One doctor said my elevated bilirubin level could possibly be normal?

I was wondering if this sounds at all like chronic Hepatitis of some sort (I've never been tested)? Is a billirubin level this high normal? On my lab results it says it should be less than 1.1 and 2.3 isn't just a little out of range its a lot it seems :/. One doctor said that it could be Gilbert's syndrome, a harmless condition that raises bilirubin. But this doesn't shed any light on why I feel sick and am experiencing fevers, episodes of dark urine, and fatigue :(.

Anyway thank you all for reading this I'm just at a loss.
             it sounds enough like hep c, that  i would want a hep panel to test for hep A, B and C.
                                      barry    

It would be impossible for anyone here to diagnose what may be wrong given your symptoms however with a Bili reading of 2.3 ( normal ref. range (.2 -1.2 ng/d) and consistently elevated enzymes  your doctor should be running other tests to ascertain the cause.

ppmguy has given good advice on the Hep panels as a place to start.

best...

Will
  Hmmm, is there reason for you to believe you have been exposed to Hep C, because it is from blood-to-blood contacxt, specifically.  This could mean, getting a tattoo with a non-sterilized needle, or any unsterilized injections, etc.
   I have always had slightly elevated bilirubin (even now that I have cured my Hep C) but on the days where I feel like I may be sick, it is always higher.  So the fact that you are feeling sick, and have the elevated bilirubin, does make sense.
   Do get the Hep panel taken.  Since we didn't know much about Hep C, until 1992, many people your moms' age got Hep C, and there is a 5% chance of Maternal transmission. It's good to cover all the bases.
    I had the same thing at your age, and I thought it was Mono...has that been ruled out?  Avoid meds that are hard on the liver, and try to eat a liver friendly diet, like lots of veggies.
Have your doctor order a "fractionalized bilirubin".
This will determine whether your Direct Bilirubin (suggests a Liver elated issue) is elevated or your Indirect Bilirubin (suggests Gilbert's Syndrome or hemolytic anemia) is elevated.

I think I would start here in hopes that you can rule out a liver issue.
Of course, viral hepatitis tests are always a good idea when a liver issue is suspected.
And a hepatologist is also always the doctor to see when you are concerned with liver issues.

Good luck,
Mike
hi and welcome agree with above go see hep panel and get tested thats the only way to be certain if you have got it or not.Please let us all know good luck
Welcome to the forum.

There are many causes for increased bilirubin. You need a thorough examination and testing done to find out the cause of the increased bilirubin. With your symptoms, I am not sure why a Hepatitis panel has not already been run. Regardless, you need more tests in addition to the Hepatitis panel to figure out why you have increased bilirubin and the symptoms you have. You said you have been passed from doctor to doctor. What types of doctors were these doctors. If they were all primary care physicians or family practice physicians, it would be advisable to go to a doctor with more education, knowledge, and expertise in medicine, such as an internal medicine doctor. You could specialize further and see a gastroenterologist, a doctor who specializes in diseases of the digestive system. You need someone who is going to do the appropriate testing and figure out the cause.

Here is a list of some causes of elevated bilirubin and also a link to more information.

Alcohol abuse
Medications
Chronic hepatitis B
Chronic hepatitis C
Steatosis
Non-alcoholic steatosis
Autoimmune hepatitis
Haemochromatosis
Wilson's disease
Alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency
Celiac disease
Exercise
Vitamin K deficiency

http://symptoms.rightdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/increased-bilirubin/metabolic-causes-of-fever-and-malaise-desc.htm

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/sym/increased_bilirubin.htm

Let us know how things progress. Best of luck.
I see others have posted while I was typing. Just to avoid any confusion concerning the type of doctor to see, I agree with Mike about seeing a Hepatologist. A Hepatologist is usually a Gastroenterologist who specializes in diseases of the liver.