Hepatitis C Community
2 year post blood test? & Vit D

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

2 year post blood test? & Vit D

Hi, In March it will be 2 years since EOT.  I can not remember which PCR I should get.  I have LabCorps for my lab I need to go to.  My 1 year was the one that goes down to >2 and if I remember correcxtly I don't need that sensitive of a test or that expensive one.

The reason I am asking is because I am not going back to my gastro.  If needed I will find another but I am going to my primary care Doc for some blood work and I will just have him write the script.

I take 1,000units + 400 in with my calcium and my blood work just showed I am still low.  Obviously I need more.

Vit D, 25-hydroxy            33.1           ranges are.................32.0 - 100.0

I posted about vit D just so others might get theirs checked, they are finding out more and more how important it is.

Thank You
Denise

At least you are in range.  I'm in about the same spot, with D at 32 in a range of 30-80.  I'm trying the same as you, with about 900 units a day of D.  Did you see mikesimon's post "Vitamin D Has Benefits in Chronic HCV Infection"?  There was a lot of conversation about safe levels of D.  Don't forget vit. D fortified milk and sun exposure (not too easy to expose enough skin to work in the winter).

I don't have much experience with the other PCR tests.  Hope someone will chime in.
Thanks newleaf but I gotta correct my post.  Mine is low in spite of taking 1400 units per day

Vit D level at 31.1    and range is 32.0--100.0
Ouch!  How long have you been taking the 1400?  Might be worth looking into whether tanning salon lights can induce the body to manufacture it.
I think for the PCR you just need the qual test, not the quant, since all you need is a yes or no answer.

My vit D tested below 30 last time we checked,  I had been taking 1000 units but I upped to 2000 a while ago.  Have not tested for it since, but I hope it has increased.  My hep doc and oncologist both insist on it.

Perhaps we can get our doctors to prescribe a trip to the Caribbean for some of that sun exposure.  Think the insurance carrier would go for it?

jd
Are you taking D3? That's the one my endo has me on. I'm taking 2000 IU a day.
You might have to take more, up to 4000 IU (100mcg)

Here is an article

http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

Also, if I remember correctly, one should take it with a source of healthy fat.

I have been taking around 3000 or more per day for quite a while. It took me about 10 months  to get from around 30 tho 85. I am still not satisfied as the 'normal' range on the lab sheet is way below the 'optimal' .

It takes a long time for the body to react and build up the vitamin d threshold, so you need to be patient. But it is important to monitor it, as too high levels can equally be dangerous, though living in the northern hemisphere will make this quite unlikely.

There is some good advice on mercola.com. I know that some of his stuff might be controversial, but I believe he is right on the vit d. Check out his site and search for vitamin d.

Thank you all.  JD, the trip sounds like what the doctor ordered.....hahhehe

Yes I am taking D3 along with the vit D that is in my calcium.it    I found vit D & A and D3 in small gel type caps, it seems to me that it would absorb better?  I don't take the D & A one every day.

Marcia, I take it along with Flax oil, is that a fatty source?  

Denise
I think flaxseed oil should do it.
I bumped this post up because of the importance of Vit D levels in people with or without HCV. As this is being studied more it has shown so much promise in preventing diseases including cancer. The recommended amount and normal range on blood tests is way low and people should take extra to supplement. Most multi vitamins have only 400mg of Vit D which is no where near enough. In order to get your blood level of Vit D to a helpful amount you may need to take up to 7000 IU's to get it over 50 where everyone should be. Heck even my old school PCP added it to my last bloodtest so it must be something talked about within the medical community. You can research this on your own or I can provide links to some recent studies.
I've started taking 2,000 IU/day for about two weeks now.  My endocrinologist advised me to get on it.  Since then I've noticed a definite improvement in my joint pain and some improvement in my muscle pain.