Hepatitis C Community
40 years w/ hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

40 years w/ hep c

Well to make a long story longer, I probably accuried the hep c virus when I was around 20 years old, I am now 60 and in great shape. 10 years ago I had my frist biopsy and was stage 1, I just had another on 8/14/08 and it suggests that I've now reached a level 2 to 3 and rounded off to stage 3 my Dr. wants to start treatment. I'm a little leary of his wanting to start tx thinking that it is slow growing and @ my age I can probably go another 15 to 20 years before it takes me out. I have no symptoms and feel great. Anybody on the liv52 or the Colloidal Silver supplements and if so has it helped ?
First, forget colloidal silver. Rubbish. Can't comment on "liv52" because am unfamiliar, but of course it will not cure HCV not that it claims to. Really don't know.

As to your situation. You could take a chance and wait a bit until the new drugs come out of trial. These drugs promise better results with half the interferon exposure. Just keep in mind that age 65 or abouts seems the magic age where many develop cirrhosis so you would be playing it sort of close to the edge as I did. Or, you could treat now -- either conventional tx (SOC) or try to get into a PI trial such as Telaprevir.

Whatever you do, find yourself the best liver specialist (heptologist) possble. GI's simply don't cut it anymore in this fast changing field. And again, ax the colloidal silver.

Hey, I feel ya. I have had it 37 years and am now stage 3. My hepatolagist strongly suggested I treat as damage likely increases on a curve. I started treating w/ SOC/Alinia recently. I have used livertonics but think the silver is widely considered a scam. This is a great place for info. later, jerry
I am 62 and have had it about 40 years as well.  I have never had a biopsy and doubt I ever will.  I feel great and live a liver friendly lifestyle and do one hour on the treadmill every day to keep fit.  I have talked to many people who say the treatment is worse than the virus.  I kinda look at it like quality or quanity of life.  To each his own,  but to gain a few years so you can drink your food out of a straw at some old folks home is not for me.  Don't get me wrong, if I thought the odds were good to get rid of the virus without causing more harm than good I would go for it.  The way it stands now,  you here this 50% number thrown around.  However when you throw in your age the length of infection, geno type 1,  a high viral load,  liver damage,  maybe diabetes and you mix that into the odds I believe your chances to clear are very slim.  
                                                                                                                    Ron
Better not to mess with that colloidal silver krap.  I don't know about any of the other stuff.  Maybe it would be better just to get a good diuretic and potassium supplement.  Have you had an ultrasound to check for masses?  Sounds like, for the most part your body has handled the HepC at bay, up until your last bx.  That's two stages in 10 yrs.  Tx when you want, I haven't tx'ed yet and I've had HepC for over 35yrs.  However, I will tx as I am not that healthy and nobody knows enough to predict how fast stage 3 will turn into cirhosis and/or ESLD.  Good Luck  
Hi ric,

Welcome.Your decision to treat/not to treat is personal and this is a good Forum should you want support and information.

I have had hep c for over 35. I have declined treatment as well until now.Treatment protocols and side effects have changed since 1990 when I first found out. My decision to treat now comes after many years of taking care of myself, running 6 miles 3x week taking supplements and so forth.My genotype is 2 and stage is 1. According to statistics, there is an 80% chance os SVR with genotype 2.

Although the damage so far has been minimal ,without trying to clear the virus with a 24 week course the damage will continue. period.
With an 80% chance (genotype 2 stage 1) and a 4 year old son, I am willing to undergo treatment and the side effects.

There are many supplements availible to anyone willing to open their wallets. Liv52 is a supplement, not a cure. It may help in some way but there is no evidence whatsoever that it clears the virus.
One website offers links to many clinical trials but not one that substantiates anything close to a cure.
http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/researchpaper/liv52.htm

The best to you in your decision.

Shupeg
I felt the same way you do now, I am 56 years old and have been living with this virus for about 30 years maybe longer.  Up until March of last year, none of my liver functions we elevated, I exercise all the time, walk my dog 3 times a day and feel pretty good.  Within one year, three of my liver functions went off the chart, so I had a liver biopsy which showed stage 2-3, which was very quick, seeing a year prior to that none of my LFT's where above normal.

I've decided to treat, people are living a lot longer now, I'd rather go through one year with flu like symptoms then be placed on a list awaiting a liver transplant 15 years from now.  We always have the option of stopping if the side effects get too bad, not to mention that at 12 weeks we'll know whether or not we should continue with treatment of stop because the virus is still showing.  It is a personal choice, one I've struggled with for quite a while.  I have to do a year, my first shot will be September 26th, yes I'm scared but we have options, it's not a death sentence now but could be in the very near future.  Remember, it's a silent killer.

Good luck!
Linda
I'm 56 years old with stage 3.  Didn't have an option to wait. Liver disease does progress - the rate at which it progresses depends on the individual, but from what I've read 10 years seems to be a pretty good gauge when you start seeing a level or two of progression.  The more fibrosis, the harder to treat.  As mentioned, cirrhosis usually starts to appear around 60+ in most people but certainly not everyone.  Even though I'm a few years away from that age, I didn't want to take any chances.  I didn't want to wait until the disease takes me out.  I am giving myself the opportunity to extend my life.  It may not work, but at least I've tried.  I do wish now that I'd looked into a trial with the new protease inhibitors but you know what they say about hindsight. Good Luck.
Congrats for keeping yourself so healthy over the years.  I, too, have had Hep C for a very long time - 53 years.  I researched my old medical records back as far as the 70's and all my blood tests showed elevated liver functions way back then but not one of my doctors ever told me that.  My only risk factor was a blood transfusion as an infant.  I learned that I have Hep C in April of this year.  

I am 53, very healthy and don't have any obvious Hep C symptoms though, when I found out this past April that I have Hep C, it did explain a few oddities about myself that I thought were just a "me thing" (digestive things, etc. but nothing major).

I'm a genotype 1b, VL of 30,100, liver bx was 1/1 and I have decided to treat - I start in 2 days.  It was a very hard decision to come to because of how healthy I currently am but when I watched Dr. Dieterich's video, which has been referenced on this site, I knew I had to treat now.  He stated in the video that each year that passes gives a person 1-2% less chance of obtaining SVR.  So, if I wait another 10 years to treat, I figured I will have lost a huge percentage of my chance of obtaining SVR and my health might not be as good in 10 years.  I'm also concerned about the statements that age 65 is sort of a magic age for cirrhosis for some.

I am somewhat concerned about the affects of TX but I guess I'm more concerned about not doing something to help keep myself off a future transplant list. I pray that my good general pre-tx state of health, my very low viral load, my positive nature and God will carry me through TX to SVR.  Some days I wished I had the mental strength to wait it out without doing TX but something in me is telling me to TX now.  I have to go with my gut on this.

I wish you well whether you TX or not.  I can't believe how hard a decision that is to make.  I have heard that Liv52 is a good supplement (when not on TX) but I have not personally tried it. As far as the silver stuff, I can only say:  don't.

Liver damage is not linear.  That means that it doesn't take the same amount of years to advance from one stage to the next.  Damage usually advances faster in the last stages.  So if it took you 10 years to advance 2 stages (from stage 1 to stage 3), it may not take you 20 years to advance to stage 4.