Hepatitis C Community
8 week VL - Detected (Geno 3a)

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

8 week VL - Detected (Geno 3a)

I had my blood draw on on 3/18 and found out last week that the virus is still showing detected.  I also requested the IL28B test and just received the results which are "unfavorable" C/T and T/G.  My NP has requested a VL count since the test was a PCR Qual and only shows if virus is detected and not the count.
I am VERY disappointed and am having a hard time wrapping my head around this after committing myself to treatment and looking forward to living HCV free.  When I saw my hepatologist on 3/19, he recommended waiting for the new drugs if virus was detected at 8 weeks.  I'm continuing the meds until I receive final direction but that's the way it's looking for now.
Congrats to all who are doing well.  I've been reading the updates and there's been a lot of good news.
Rebecca
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Is-it-really-necessary/show/1924112

Hi Rebecca!  I am sorry with all that you are going through.  The above link has really interesting information on 2 and 3's.  You might want to take a look at it.

Wishing you the best!

Jules
Hey Rebecca, I'm a genotype 2 and did not test UND until week 12, and that is okay for g-2s. I have since passed the post six month period and I'm SVR. We see the g-1s clear by 4 weeks so it's kind of concerning when it doesn't happen, but all was well. I hope that is the case for you. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post more info for you like they did for me.
Fingers crossed, Faith
Hi there, it sounds as if they did not do the right test, you will always be detected but when the viral load is gone you will be UND.
I know it is upsetting when the wrong test is done however hang in there.  At least your doctor knew and has requested the correct test.
You are right there has been a lot of good news, I am sure you will get it as well.
Best wishes, Dee