Hepatitis C Community
A Basic Diet for Hepatitis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

A Basic Diet for Hepatitis

Sorry bout posting 3 times already today but i thought this link was a must see.

http://www.hepatitis-central.com/hcv/diet.htm
Thank you - I'm going through a really need food period and as my imagination has disappeared somewhere in the fog, I seem to be eating the same stuff every day.  (All the right stuff, but the portions are getting smaller because I'm getting sick of the monotony).
I can have a feast tomorrow (if I eva get to sleep :-)
Lots of opinions ("professional" and other) re diet/nutrition. What is working for me now, is a "South Beach/Zone" type of diet which is basically lean meat/fish and vegetables. Almost no starch (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc) and very little fruit -- maybe one portion three times a week. With this diet -- and copious amounts of exercise -- Ive lost ten pounds, brought my cholesterol down from 200 to 150 and normalized my bp from pre-hypertensive. All without statins and bp meds I took previously. From a liver point of view, a low carb, low sugar,  high protein (lean protein) type of diet, can help prevent and reduce "fatty" liver. Fatty liver can accelerate fibrosis worse than the virus itself.

Alternatively, a very low fat diet (like Prititkin or Ornish) potentially can do the same thing but very few people can stay on a diet that low in fats.

While both diets (Pritikin vs South Beach) seem at odds with each other, my take/opinion is that a South Beach/Zone type of diet (low carbs)  works its magic in spite of the higher fat content because it burns the fats by limiting the carbs. On the other hand, the Pritikin and Ornish diet have such low fat contents that the carbs don't do any harm. Two ways to get to the same place.

-- Jim
Should probably add that pre-treatment, the "Zone/S.Beach" type of diet did raise my liver enzymes slightly although that may have been due to increased exercise levels. On the other hand, the low-fat Pritkin type of diet always normalized my liver enzymes. Now that I'm SVR this is not an issue and my enzymes are staying normal with the lower carb diet.
Looks like Jim you got wise on the nutrition ...i told you you didnt need the statins...i also changed my food intake...i keep it real simple now...organic whey and a good green drink powder takes care of all my protien vitamin and minerals...thats just the basic foundation of my life source....inbetween this i eat tons of organic apples  ground flax...ditilled water..spearmint tea...veggie burgers...rye breads...organic yogourt...all kinds of organic veggies....i treat my self to some breaded fish on paydays too....a diet of the gods
Yeah, but you're the fat one now :)
Rocker, you might want to reduce your apple intake to 1 lb a day!!   3 lbs seems a bit much.  I would be spending most of my time on the can if I ate that many.
Trin
I know...i have to slow down i eat like Frier Tuck,anyone rememeber him from that cartoon series?my addiction now is pigging out on health foods...i really dont look fat..i guess the fat must beon the inside...like all over organs, my heart and liver .. i am pretty big boned too..ya cant really go by the BMI all the way either...ill go down to 190 be Friday

Yes, I remember the Frier Tuck.  That's revealing our age.  Please be careful, don't lose too much weight to fast.  It's not good for you and you're going to lose weight when you begin tx as well.  Now that I understand your sense of humor (which must have something to do with the fact you hail from Canada - LOL) I appreciate your posts and thoughts on things alll the more and I truly want you to be healthy for your upcoming tx.  You need the nutrients, especially in the beginning, so be careful.  I don't care if jmjm called you fat - I'll bet your adorable anyway.
Trin
Dont ya go worrying bout me but i thank you for your help and concern...im a big boy with a pretty good brain to go wth the pakage...i know i wont make it to 190 but i will be 200...im 213 as i speak...200 is my optium weight...i was gonna post pone tx till i go to 185 - 190...but 200 is ok...like i said ...i pretty big....and wide...sounds like im bragging again...im also doin a 2 day mini fast....its the "master cleanse"...its a lemon aid fast....do a google on this...quite interesting