A slight tingle/pain in my liver region.
I've been diagnosed with HCV  2 years ago. I'm also HIV 22 years.  I'm a 41 year old caucasian male. My HIV viral has gone back up since my liver specialist decided to let the liver rest from all meds .It is said that I can't be treated with interferon as long as my viral load is up.. . and then there's my liver panel enzymes which have crept back up.. Today I explained my frustration and am ready to surrender to a treatment plan and not just keep going back and forth. CT exams/MRIs and bloodwork. I'm researching other ways of detoxifying my liver.
   The question is. what are those semi-momentary-tingle of pains that make themselves known from time-to-time?
I had a liver biopsy last Sept. and cancer was ruled out. at Beth Israel Hospital.  I fear the doctors and their prudence will prove to them saying before long. "Oh now you've got cancer"  ..  Thanks for any feedback/suggestions. Mark
Hi Mark.

First and foremost...If you have a medical concern, consult with your doctor. We are not doctors here and can only share our knowledge and experience.

If you have chronic active HCV in order to prevent the advancement of liver disease you need to clear the virus permanently from your body. The only known treatment which can cure HCV currently is peg-interferon and ribavirin. Many on this forum can tell you about their experiences with treatment. Next year there may be new more effective "cocktail" antiviral treatments available. Consult with your Gastro or Hepatologist about this. By curing yourself of HCV before developing cirrhosis, you can avoid having to worry about developing liver cancer.

You say you had a liver biopsy recently. What stage was your liver? 1,2 3,3 4?

A liver biopsy is not used to detect liver cancer. A liver scan is used to diagnose liver cancer.

If you are NOT stage 4, cirrhosis, the chances of HCC, liver cancer, are the same as people in the general population. Even person with cirrhosis have only a small chance of getting HCC although it increases over time. Therefore people like myself with cirrhosis are monitored every 6 months with liver scans and AFP blood levels. The possibly of developing HCC is a well known issue for cirrhotics and is something that needs to be monitored for.

Among 100 patients with acute HCV infection, approximately 4 will develop HCC or liver failure. So I believe you are worrying about something that you have a very small chance of getting. Again your doctor is the expert on your health. Consult with her or him.

Early stages of HCC usually have no symptoms. Later stages include pain from abdomen to back to shoulder. Weight loss in common, as is server pain, fever and nausea.

If you are still worried have your doctor scan your liver for HCC. This is the only true test for HCC.

Best-
Hectorsf

A lot of us get those pains in the upper right quadrant from time to time. I've never gotten a good explanation from my doctor, but since I have gotten a biopsy I know I have grade 2 inflammation, and I know with inflammation comes swelling, so I figure that is what it is.

I don't know anything about co-infection, but others on here do, so maybe they can give you some advice about that.

Hang in there... and welcome to the forum.
The liver doesn't have nerves and therefore you don't actually feel pain IN your liver - technically.
The liver is contained in a fibrous sheathe named the Glisson's Capsule.
With HCV liver cell death occurs. Cell death is followed by a dispatch of inflammatory cells which causes liver swelling - hepatomegaly. When the liver is enlarged it stretches the Glisson's Capsule and that is what cause the URQ - upper right quadrant pain - often experienced with liver disease.
When I had this pain it was more of a dull ache than it was a sharp pain but I have heard others describe it as more of a sharp pain. I never experienced "semi-momentary-tingle of pains" but I don't think what you describe is suggestive or symptomatic of cirrhosis or liver cancer.

Regarding co-infection (HCV/HIV) management and treatment: I am posting a link to a Critical Care Option Site. To view the article requires registration but it is free and easy to register. It is well worth the time and effort.

See:    http://tinyurl.com/2bxnwb9

Good luck,
Mike