Hepatitis C Community
AFP Test

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

AFP Test

Because my Biopsy results were teetering on stage 4, the NP had ordered bloodwork that included an AFP. Saw Dr. today and asked that result, her first question was why was that ordered. Anyway the long and short of it was it came back 11. I also asked the Dr. for a prognosis and her answer was, I can't give you one at this time. It sounded like a good answer at the time, but now that I'm home it bugging me. Anyone have any first hand info on this.
the AFP test is a very important test with hep c and especially with F4 or cirrhosis. this is a tumor marker and should be included with every blood test to catch liver cancer early! my hepatologist has it checked off on everyone of my blood tests and i do not even have much liver damage. and what you should be worried about is why your doctor ask "why was this ordered". i would not want to treat with a doc that asked that question! a good hep doc would always include that test with an F4 especially.
the lab i use has the AFP as normal 0-6. so 11 is slightly high. but dont worry to much as i have heard tumor/cancer will be really high.
Thanks. I guess that is why it's good to have a team.
Ter
Good, solid advice from the previous posters. I don't come to this forum often but your post caught my eye. I wish to add that you should find out what your AFP lab range is. My lab is 0-15. If your 11 exceeds the high water mark you must get a CT Scan with Contrast to verify whether you have a lesion (tumor) or not. The Contrast fluid is a must. Without it there's a high probability the lesion will NOT appear in your scan and by catching it in its early, the lesion can be eliminated. Keep in mind tumors live off your blood and there is no better supply than your liver.
As indicated AFP is a means of identifying if HCC is developing and is often coupled with either an Ultrasound or CT Scan to monitor state of cirrohotic tissue to see if there is any advancement.

Likewise, although 11 is above normal, I've heard that numbers in the 40, 50, 60, or higher are often seen when HCC advancement is occurring.
Thanks, I have had an ultasound and Biopsy. I will ask the NP who ordered the test when I see her towards the end of the month.