Hepatitis C Community
AFP Tumor Marker Results In

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

AFP Tumor Marker Results In

I have not posted in a while so I'll summarize. New territory has me asking here.

Geno Type 2
24 and 48 week terms failed. I am now on mono therapy, half dosage and no Ribavirin. I am currently less than 10 as was in the previous terms but it will not hold without TX.

OK, now my enzymes are AST=95 ALT=146.
Doc says fatty liver and orders Ultrasound.
Ultrasound results in a Tumor marker blood lab and a Liver MRI.

Blood labs are back and I am a 7 ng/mL. The range is 1 - 6. So it's just a touch over. No word back on the MRI yet.

What do you guys know about the marker results?    
Hey there, I haven’t seen your name in here for quite a while now.

My rather limited understanding of AFP is that you’re fine. I was told by my GI doc once that if it’s like 500, I have some cancer going on. I do believe that viral hepatitis can cause it to elevate slightly; I wouldn’t worry about it at this point.

Best to you,

Bill
I can't tell you about AFP, but tumor markers such as CEA are not useful to diagnose new cancers, but rather are used to flag new tumor activity in a patient who is in remission.  I would not be surprised if HCV caused a mild elevation in the level

Good luck,
jd.
Thanks, I await the MRI report. I only got the blood report because I have my local PCP Dr.'s office in the habit of faxing it to the Gastro and me.

I'll report.

Yes the last time I visited here was when my appendix was raising hell after just starting neupo injections. It was just the appendix going out, nothing to do with TX.  
Like Bill said AFP results are usually in the 100's if cancer is present. If AFP is very high then it is a very good marker for cancer, especially the liver.
I would say you have nothing to worry about with that low #. Best of luck
Thanks guys. Fingers crossed on the image results too.
Yes, I don't think low AFP scores like yours are much to worry about, but do go in for periodic testing/ultrasounds if necessary.  My lab says that up to 15ng is acceptable; my AFP ranges from 11 to 22, usually they stay around 15 or 16ng but fluctuate slightly with no rhyme or reason (my dr. thinks it's partially related to my gallstones).
The MRI shown it was just fatty deposits. According to them thiss and the AFP reading of 7 are really good news.

Thanks, All  
Hey, thanks for taking the time to check back in. So glad you got good news; that rocks.

Take care--

Bill