Hepatitis C Community
ALT 980-400 Steroids and HCV

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

ALT 980-400 Steroids and HCV

My ALT peaked at 980 last summer after steroid treatment for back pain, my average before steriods was around 60. It seems to hover around 400 to 500 now...anyway my local NHS team in Brighton will only monitor me as I failed tx 4 years ago....I cant really accept this under my current raised levels......I have geno 2/3(Still dont know which one) and I responded well but relapsed after 6 months post treatment. I have found a new consultant in London who is alarmed by my ALT and will take me on and wants to do a load of tests i.e. geno type, auto-immune hep ect and probably re-treat for a year.I do feel like there is some hope now. I never saw my consultant in Brighton, its ironic that he cleared the steroid use for my back even though we never met!
My research shows that some steroids and HCV do not go well together.... the immune system can struggle with certain steroids and I believe this is what has happened ,....... while my immune system was suppressed the virus really got to work. The good news is my biopsy from last December shows and increase in inflammation but my overall score of 8 Ishak is still noty showing cirrhosis..... the thought of 12 months back on tx doesnt appeal but the alternative is a rapid deterioration of what is left of my liver.
Tags: steriod, alt
The Ishak system of fibrosis scoring runs from 1-6.there is no 8!
Perhaps you mean you scored 8 on the fibroscan which is an Ishak 3.
Which London hospital are you going to treat at?