ALT (GPT) + AST (GOT)
JZK
I just did a blood test last week and all the results were fine except my ALT (GPT) + AST (GOT).
ALT was slightly high (46 U/I), as was my AST (42 U/I).
When I asked my doctor, he mentioned something about enzymes in the liver, and said that it was ok.
Never the less, I would like to know more about what these reading mean and what I can do to improve them.

Thank you
don't drink, smoke, pot, drugs, avoid certain Rx's and OTC meds known to irritate the liver.
JZK
That's all fine, but I don't drink (except an occasional glass of wine with once or twice a week dinner), don't smoke, don't take any drugs or medications (except the occasional Paracetamol  when I have a headache or Tums when I have heartburn). S what does that say?
The ranges of normal AST and ALT vary a little by gender and age.  42/46 are probably both in the normal range for you, maybe on the high side or normal.   Often when someone has liver problems from various conditions ast/alt can zoom into the hundreds or thousands.  So, by comparison yours seem ok.   Did the doc suggest and following actions, or did he seem to be not so concerned?  If the later, don't lose any sleep over it.
You are probably "ok" like your doc says. On the other hand, the normal range on those two enzymes is often  in the teens or twenties. To be extra careful, ask your doctor for a hepatitis screening panel.

-- Jim
Do you take a cholesterol medication such as lipitor?  Something like that can increase your alt/ast slightly.

The normal range for ast for a male is up to 40 and normal alt is is up 50 or so.

Your ast is a little high, alt is 'high normal.'

Do you have a risk factor for hepatitis such a blood transfusion/Ivdu/high risk sex?
I should probably have clarfied my remarks better re "normal range". You are correct as to what the labs show as "normal". However, many of us have found that what is normal for "us" -- after becoming SVR -- is really closer to the low twenties and teens.
JZK
Thank you. In the meantime I will not be too concerned although I will mention it to my doctor again when I see him next, and ask him about a hepatitis screening panel.
I just watched a liver education video from UCA that Drofi posted and the Dr. says that ALT and AST levels are not a reliable indicator of liver damage as 50% of hep-C affected patients don't exhibit elevated levels.

The video was posted today in a thread called Video hep A-Z.

wyntre
Hi.
I am 23 years old and my AST/GOT is 47 and my ALT/GPT is 92. I don't drink alcohol i don't smoke i don't use drugs and i thing general i have one healthy diet. What happen?
Also i want to add that i am not a fat person my weight is 158.7 pounds and my height is 5.7 foot.
im 21 years old and went to the E.R.they  did blood work and  my a.t.l came   bk  a 98.im not  yellow or nothing,so  what  could it be.i have strep throat could  that be  the reason.i have took lorcets sometimes,can   that be  it  also.yours truly janet.
I havnt seen you say wether you have been tested for HCV. Do  you have HCV? I have had it for decades and my numbers are in the upper 30's.  If you havnt been tested you should be to rule it out
i discovered in my eighth month of pregnancy high liver enzymes in Alt and AST ,I had some fats on liver after delivery and its size was larger thn normal BUT after arround 8 months there were no fats at all and liver size returned normal.i did all liver tests including hepatitis,PCR,Cancer,i did every thing and all normal except ALT and AST.now i'm one year and two months after delivery and still have high ALT & AST.
don't know what to do
i never drink or have drug i even not usually drink tea and never coffee
i really need help
How about my GPT / ALT is too low as 19?