Hepatitis C Community
ALT levels and Acute Hepatitis C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

ALT levels and Acute Hepatitis C

I have a very simple question regarding Acute Hepatitis C.

From what I have read on the internet and what my doctor and specialists on the phone have said I believe the following to be true. Can people please correct me if wrong?

If suffering from acute Hepatitis C like around 30% of people do,  ALT levels and other liver function tests during this period would be higher than normal. ???
This is what causes the symptoms of Acute Hepatitis C. The reaction of the liver and body to the virus during this period causes these symptoms. Eg abdominal pain and swealling caused by liver swealling and reaction, juandice caused by reaction of liver, lack of appetitie vomiting and fever again caused by the bodys reaction and so on..

During the past 6 months due to having only one kidney due poor genetics any abdominal pain I alwys get checked out and have bloods done to make sure my kidney function is still okay.
The past 6 months I ahve had full liver function tests done three times. All three times they have been very normal.
Alt between 18 and 21 and all others like that.

I had not previously been worried about Hep c as the doctors on here and other experts as well as my doctor has said there is nothing to worry about. But I have been worried about a night were I had bloating, abdominal pain and a lack of appetitie for a few days. During which time I became constipated.

The aspect that they raised is the following.

If these were symptoms and I was suffering from Acute Hepatitis C the my liver function tests would show abnomalites, sometimes 10 times the normal level.
They did acknowledge that I could still have Hepatitis C but not be acute, and my liver fuction tests would show no abnomalities.

This is my fundamental question, if I was acute then my alt levels would be up.
I know I could have hep c and not be acute and have normal alt levels. This I understand.

BUT

If I was suffering Acute Hepatitis C symptoms then looking at all the studies online and listening to experts and doctors, the acute hep c symptoms are caused by liver damaage and the liver processing the virus and would cause a spike in liver function tests including ALT.

Am I correct?

Also if these were symptoms they would last longer than a couple of days correct?

Thank you all for listening to these questions?
In the acute stage the liver enzymes usually go way up. After a few months it would no longer be acute but chronic.If your so worried have a test done.
Thats what they told me.

If my symptoms were acute Hep c symptoms my liver enzymes would have been way up and then come down.
Not just down the whole time. If they were acute hep c symptoms then my levels would have been way up.

Thats a correct assumption?
That's correct but there are a number of other reasons for elevated enzymes.
Thats great I am sure if I had been experiencing Acute Hep C I would have had elevated enzymes and would have known about it.

all studies say acute hep c always has elevated liver enzymes, but if you don't experience acute stage then chances are lower liver enzymes
It doesn't sound like you have been tested for hepatitis C.  Is that correct?  If so, I suggest asking for the antibody test to be run.  I am not sure why you think you have hep C.
frijole
Hope you don't take this the wrong way but I think your efforts would be better rewarded seeking mental help for obsessive disorder. Good luck
I was diagnosed with Acute HCV last summer and my ALT/AST were10 times the norm and gradually went down after 6 months or so.  A test called HCV RNA by PCR will be a definitive answer.  If you have had this test and it was negative, then I would go on with my life

Good luck
I understand what you are all saying and appreciate what people are saying my doctor has told me I have no need to test as it is imposible to have got hep c from my exposure