Hepatitis C Community
ANA598 Demonstrates SVR12 In 100% Of First Group Of HCV Patients Random...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

ANA598 Demonstrates SVR12 In 100% Of First Group Of HCV Patients Randomized To Stop All Treatment At Week 24

There is an article about this, might be interesting:

"Anadys Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: ANDS) announced that six of six patients (100%) in the ANA598 200 mg twice daily (bid) arm who were randomized to stop all treatment at Week 24 in an ongoing Phase II trial maintained undetectable levels of virus 12 weeks after stopping treatment, referred to as Sustained Virological Response 12, or SVR12.
The Company also reported that all available patients from the ANA598 200 mg arm who were previously reported to have undetectable levels of virus at Week 24 and continued on pegylated interferon and ribavirin (current standard of care, or SOC) also maintained undetectable levels of virus at Week 36. In addition, all patients from the ANA598 400 mg arm who were previously reported to have undetectable levels of virus at Week 12 and continued on SOC maintained undetectable levels of virus at Week 24. ANA598, Anadys' direct-acting antiviral or DAA, is being developed to treat hepatitis C and is in an ongoing Phase II trial in combination with pegylated interferon and ribavirin.

"The SVR12 data reported today for ANA598 are highly encouraging," said Steve Worland, Ph.D., President and CEO of Anadys. "These data illustrate the potential for HCV patients to be successfully treated with shortened courses of treatment, reflecting the continuing benefit of ANA598 post-therapy. We believe these data, coupled with the excellent barrier to resistance demonstrated in this trial as well as the favorable safety and tolerability, confirm ANA598's position as one of the most attractive agents in Phase II HCV development today."

The six patients who stopped all treatment at Week 24 were part of an investigation of response-guided treatment duration for ANA598 in which patients who had achieved undetectable levels of virus (<15 IU/mL) at Weeks 4 and 12 were randomized 1:1 to stop all treatment at Week 24 or Week 48. In addition to the six patients who stopped treatment at Week 24, six patients in the 200 mg bid arm are continuing to receive SOC alone through Week 48 for comparison purposes. Additionally, 14 patients from the ANA598 400 mg bid arm and 4 patients from the control arm (receiving placebo plus SOC) met the stopping criteria and have been randomized to stop all treatment at Week 24 or 48. The initial post-treatment results from these latter arms are expected later this year for those patients who stopped therapy at Week 24.
Phase II Combination Study

In the ongoing Phase II study, approximately 90 treatment-naive genotype 1 HCV patients have received ANA598 or placebo in combination with Pegasys® (peginterferon alfa-2a) and Copegus® (ribavirin, USP) for 12 weeks at dose levels of 200 mg bid or 400 mg bid, each with a loading dose of 800 mg bid on day one. After week 12, patients are to continue receiving SOC. Patients who achieved undetectable levels of virus at weeks 4 and 12 were randomized to stop all treatment at week 24 or 48. The primary endpoint of the study is the proportion of patients who achieve undetectable levels of virus at week 12 (defined as complete Early Virological Response, or cEVR). Additional endpoints include safety and tolerability as well as the proportion of patients with undetectable levels of virus at week 4 (defined as Rapid Virological Response, or RVR). Patients will be followed for 24 weeks after stopping therapy to determine the rate of Sustained Virological Response, or SVR. Approximately 90 patients have been enrolled in this study with approximately 30 patients receiving ANA598 plus SOC at each dose level and 30 patients receiving placebo plus SOC. The study is being managed by the Duke Clinical Research Institute (DCRI) and is being conducted at a number of clinical sites in the United States."
Thanks for posting, I just keeps getting better! It won't be long before there is a real cure.
Thanks for the post, it keeps my hope up. I hope youre right spectda !
I hope they keep running more tests.  Six is a pretty darn small group but I sure like the sound of 100% SVR.  That has a nice ring to it.
As I pointed out before, this is six out of six patients who achieved RVR.  I.e., they are not counting the patients who did not achieve RVR.

SVR rates in patients who achieve RVR with other treatments are generally around 90%.  So in actuality six out of six is not by any means outside of that statistic.
Yes, thanks to everyone, it seems like a very good result, and encouriging. I think like this, well, i have to repeat a therapy. That will happend sometimes next year (the best ), then after one year of treatment and a watchfull waiting period, I guess, this Ana598 will be at the end of trial. Uff,,,that is too far to think wright?
In fact, I hope, that this Telapr., or Boc. will solve all our problems!
This time next year this forum will be very very busy.
Why will it be busy?
Seems that "eventually" this could be yet another treatment try for those who will fail upcoming PI's.

Magnum
A lot of people are waiting for the new PIs, they should be here by summer, so we will all be sharing a lot of information. Treat on trials are different from when treatment is being prescribed.  

that is good news, even with such a small sample.  
Results of this little study are just unbelievable. Hopefully, not only there will be REAL cure for HCV, but maybe using this approaches/data scientists will create the drugs to cure other deadly viruses.