AST & ALT getting higher.....normal?
Hi everyone...I have been out of touch,  busy and then computer broken, but have missed talking with you all.
My enzymes were in the normal range before treatment,  AST-33, ALT-35.  My first blood test after treating, they went down...AST- 26, ALT- 24.  That was Sept 3.  I thought.....cool!
Since then I have had two more blood tests and each time they have gone higher.  On Oct 6, AST- 30, ALT-29. Yesterday, Oct 17, had another test which showed AST- 41, ALT- 38.
Is this to be expected?  Anyone else experience the same thing  or anyone have any input as to why this is happening?
Heck, I hardly ever had raised enzymes for the past several years, if at all.  
Thanks!
They fluctuate. Yours are all within normal, looks good. I wouldn't worry at all.
Thanks James, but are you saying that they flucuate during treatment. or generally?  The last AST  of 41 is actually considered in the high level, albeit just a little. I find it just odd that they are going up at all.
As James says,  liver enzyme values do fluctuate (all the time).

Synthetic interferon sometimes has the side effect of causing a temporary rise in liver enzymes, not something to worry about.
Mine fluctuated wildly during treatment.  At one point ,each was well over 100 (they had never been anywhere near that high).  My study nurse and doctor were not concerned.  By the time I finished up they were 19 and 24.  All is good.
Mine went from 41 ALT at the beginning of tx to 165 after I started VIC and now 19 weeks of tx they are down to 12 ALT.   Been UND since week 7.  So don't worry, I think the PI's do this.  
Ok, I feel better now.  I wasn't worried, simply puzzled as I had not ever read any info on this subject, on this forum.  I have to say....if I had gotten back a level of 100  or 165 (as monkey did) , I WOULD have freaked, not knowing what I now know.  Gotta love this forum!!  
Mine are pretty stable but I have heard a lot of folks on the forum saying their enzymes have gone up.  I don't think there is anything to worry about.  I am glad you were having computer problems -- I mean I am glad that is ther reason I have not seen your posts.  I thought maybe you were having a really rough time, and I am glad it was the hardware.

How are you feeling?  Last PCR?

frijole
Hi just reading your question conerning the bouts of the jumping jacks Alt and Ast. Indeed they to fluctuate,, I haven't begun. see Dr. this Thurs. /and I've been keeping track of mine and I have one  the AST from this time of Last Year that was 75 and this year went down to 40 and the Alt of last year this time was 78 and this year went down to 39. that's with beginning the meds... mama mia... it's like whoa... then my tumor marker on my liver was last year (this exact same time) was 8.2 and now 5.2 ... so ,,, I don't know... hope I can hang in with beginning the medicines.. shortly... MY GLUCOSE right now is at 108 which should be according to standard range 65- 99,,,, hmmm.. so guess we're all fluctuaters in this part of the game.... nice to hear that your computer is back and on track.. do take care, deborah
welcome back lady!  Yes, we did miss you    I thought you were probably doing so good that you were just out and about   glad you got the computer fixed
I dont think you have anything to worry about, yours still look great.    I do know mine liver panels have always been normal ever since I contracted HCV.   After my 1st set of labs after I started TX w/ INC  they jumped, big time.   But my GI is not concerned and I just seen him again for my 6 week check up and he is still not concerned.   He did say it was not unusual for them to pan all over the place when your on treatment.  
Hi I am new and have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with. Back in 09 my AST was 35 and my ALT was 48.  Nothing was ever said or retesting done.  3 months ago I donated blood to the red cross and recevied letter I tested postive for Hep C. Since then I have been to my doc and had blood work done again with pos Hep C.  My AST is now at 36 with my ALT at 66 also Hep C Virus Ab  >11.0..   does this mean I will have to start medication?  Doc is setting up an appointment with the Liver Disease Clinic some time soon.  All help will be appreciated..
Hi you may want to ask this by clicking on post question at top of page so others can see this.
In the meantime don't panic, even if the first test indicates your body "reacted" the doc hopefully a hepatologist will see if you have a viral load and then you will know for sure if you have Hep C
Good luck
Dee