Hepatitis C Community
Acute hep c and skin cancer?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Acute hep c and skin cancer?

So this is weird and as doc describes it, this is a perfect storm...I did post this in skin cancer too

Been trying to have our 2nd kiddo and it had been over a year so went to see fertilty doc.  Had me run all sorts of test and infectious disease tests as well since it had been 2 years since I had it done as it is standard when you get pregnant.  Those were neg of course.  Well it came back I had HEP C antibodies.  I freaked.  Got further testing and it is not active.  My body cleared the virus itself.I had acute hepatitis c that they only place I could have gotten would have been at the hospital when I had my daughter.  Its a nice place too, not that that should matter.  Anyways, I get physicals every year and then were normal expect lymphocytes were a little high.  

Sept. 2011- normal physical except high lymphcytes. 46%
Jan. 2012 found out had hepatitis c antibodies...I am not contagious. As it was acute hepatitis c,
                lymphoctyes were down to 44 but still high.
Apirl 2012, lymphcyces still high but down to 42%

April and May 2012-miscarried around 5 weeks

may-went to destin and got super sunburned

sept 2012- diagnosed with melanoma in situ.  wide excision, no further treatment besides derm every 3 months.

nov. 2012-normal physical, lymphocytes normal...yeah and even on lower side of the normal scale.  

dec. 2012- small basal cell on arm, same side as melanoma that was on my back.

Question is, it is weird I am getting these skin cancers all of the sudden.  As doc said, its a "perfect" storm.  My immune system was down due to fighting off a harsh virus and then misacarrying back to back.  I did burn often as a kid, as sunscreen was not the thing at the time.  I do not use tanning beds.  I did for like a week 7 years ago for my wedding.  That was it.  I am just worried as to what could be causing this all of the sudden.  I am healthy though.  Not overweight, eat well, all that....I know skin cancer does not discriminate.

Just wondering if you happen to get more skin cancers with acute hep c
Skin cancer has no association with the hepatitis C virus. Unfortunately because we have hepatitis C we don't get a free pass on other diseases.
Skin cancer also has nothing to do with how you eat or being overweight or not.

Risk factors for non-melanoma and melanoma skin cancers include:

Unprotected and/or excessive exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation (sunlight or tanning booths)
Pale complexion (difficulty tanning, easily sunburned, natural red or blond hair color)
Occupational exposures to coal tar, pitch, creosote, arsenic compounds, or radium
You or other members of your family have had skin cancers
Multiple or unusual moles
Severe sunburns in the past

You don't mention which type of skin cancer you had. Without knowing I can't comment much beyond generalizations.

Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. More than 3.5 million skin cancers in over two million people are diagnosed annually.

Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon.

Good luck!
hector
oops that would be helpful

melanoma in situ
basal cell...my dad had had a lot of basal cells and 2 squamous cells.
I'm sorry, of course you said that.

Well that is great news as 'melanoma in situ" is stage 0 cancer and can not spread as it is only on the top layer of the skin. Probably the best best form of skin cancer there is if you have to have skin cancer. Although there is nothing good about any cancer any the word itself can strike fear and terror when you hear I doctor say those words to you.

The reason I thought I maybe could help is that in 2009 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer in my foot. Squamous sweat gland cancer. There are only a few hundred recorded cases and no known treatment because it is so rare. I was lucky enough to be referred to one of the top ortho cancer surgeons who devised a plan to cut out all of the tumors without crippling me permanently. I am happy to say that all of the cancer is gone and has never recurred and my foot is literally "as good as new". There is only a 1 1/2" scar on the bottom on my left foot but only if someone was looking for it would they even notice it. Like yourself I had about the best form of cancer and treatment possible. Of course I met many terminal patients during the months I was being seen at the cancer center and it made a lasting impression on me. It opened my eyes to how lucky I am and how thankful I should be for what could have been a far worse outcome.

Please get periodic cancer screenings to stay safe. I see my dermatologist every 6 months. Just make it part of you routine. I have a lovely woman who is my dermatologist and I just go and take off all my clothes and get checked out. I don't worry about embarrassment as cancer is serious and I don't want her to miss anything because of my shyness. After having two types of cancers I know that catching the disease early is The key to outcome. And since I will be having a liver transplant recipient very soon, I will be prone to cancers especially skin cancer, so it is and will be for the remainder of my life just part of my routine from now on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://news.cancerconnect.com/stage-0-melanoma-in-situ/

'Patients with melanoma in situ  (stage 0) have melanoma cells only in the outer layer of skin (epidermis). There is no invasion of the deeper layer (dermis) and therefore essentially no potential for spread.

Patients with melanoma in situ are treated by surgical removal of the lesion with the goal of obtaining minimal surgical margins that are free of any evidence of melanoma cells when examined under the microscope. Virtually all patients with melanoma in situ are cured following an adequate excision. The surgical guidelines for adequate excision are to remove the entire lesion (melanoma in situ) with a 0.5 cm margin of normal skin surrounding the lesion. This is confirmed by a pathologist who examines the removed specimen under the microscope. Inadequate excision of a melanoma in situ can lead to a recurrence of the lesion or progression in the area to a more advanced melanoma.

For example, in one clinical study involving 121 patients with stage 0 melanoma, there were only 6 local recurrences (5%). Moreover, all local recurrences were treated successfully with more extensive surgery.

Cure rates are so high with melanoma in situ that there are essentially no outstanding treatment issues. However, there are outstanding issues for the prevention of the development of additional melanomas. The diagnosis of melanoma in situ, which is believed to be a precursor for invasive melanoma, may be an indication that genetic and environmental influences may be present in an individual that place them at increased risk for developing other in situ or melanomas in the future. Individuals with melanoma in situ should have routine skin evaluations performed by dermatologists bi-annually.

Avoiding the major cause of cutaneous melanoma, sun exposure, is of crucial importance in preventing new melanomas. The guidelines from the American Academy of Dermatology include:

Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a SPF of at least 15 on all exposed skin, including the lips, even on cloudy days.
If exposed to water, either through swimming or sweating, a water-resistant sunscreen should be used.
Reapply sunscreen frequently.
Wear a broad-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
Sit in the shade whenever possible.
Wear protective, tightly-woven clothing.
Plan outdoor activities early or late in the day to avoid peak sunlight hours between 10 am and 4 pm."

Be well and get a regular dermatologist who you will see to have your skin checked.
I am very happy you are alright. :-)

Hector

'
Hector, is there anything you don't know about?  You're such a huge source of information and support here.