Acute vs. Chronic Hepatitis C?
In 2002 I went to the hospital because I was extremely jaudice, vomiting, and abdominal cramping. After a blood test I was quickly diagnosed with Hepatitis C, and sent on my way. I contracted the virus through intravenous drug use. I did not follow up for several months, but when I did I was treated horribly. I was already terrified (as I was only 16, and thought my life was over because of this), because of the way the Dr. acted I chose not to follow up again for another year. All of my symptoms went away.
In 2004 I started seeing a Dr. on a regular basis about having hepatits and since then have had no viral load. I have had "qualitative" and "quantitative" tests. The test detected levels to 10. I have been undetectable on every test since. I get tested every 6 to 12 months. I do show positive for anti-bodies. My liver tests have always come back perfectly healthy except during the period of time when I was jaundice. I do see a specialist, and she says that I have most likely spontaneously cleared the virus from my body, my regular MD says that just because its not detectable doesnt mean I dont have the virus, it just means that its very low. I have never recieved any treatments.
I've searched the internet everywhere, and cant seem to find anything about this. I was wondering what exactly does "undetected" means? If I have cleared the virus from my body, how can I find out/ what tests should I ask for? Can I still pass this virus on to other people? Does it mean that I no longer have Hep C, if my body has cleared the virus?
The only thing I can find that sounds similiar to my situation, is reguarding Acute HCV, and Chronic HCV. How do I find out which one I have? Everything about this is gets so complicated after a while. I'm frustrated.
I apologize for going on for so long, I just wanted to be clear, and I'm so tired of searching for answers and not finding any. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
If your RNA/PCR tests come back negative, then you cleared the virus. You will always test positive for antibody once you've been exposed...but no discernable virus, or no genotype detecticle means you have only the antibody, not the virus.

go here;

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/LINKS-forum-members-find-helpful/show/52?cid=64

middle of page go to janis7...you'll learn a bunch there.

mb
Your doctor is wrong. You do not have Hepatitis C, but as stated above, you will probably carry the antibodies for life. "Acute HCV" means within six months of being infected. That most probably was when you were jaundiced. Chronic is beyond that. In your case, your neither because again you don't have it.

-- Jim