Hepatitis C Community
Acute vs. Chronic in Hep C ??
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Acute vs. Chronic in Hep C ??

I actually posed this question in Rick444's earlier post.  This may be a dumb question, but if a person tests posibve for HCV and has a VL how could that be diagnosed as Acute?  What test would confirm this?  
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
87972_tn?1322664839
Not a dumb question at all. The diagnosis of acute HCV is a tricky one, I believe. It involves the diagnosis of HCV with a positive RNA result, along with patient stated risk factors. The patient can also have certain characteristics; fever, jaundice, and *extremely* high liver enzymes *may* be present. In other words, the patient *might* present with symptoms, where with chronic HCV, the disease is essentially asymptomatic. The acute phase only lasts up to six months after exposure; after that, it’s considered chronic. There is no actual test, other than an HCV RNA that will diagnose acute HCV; that’s why it’s unusual to find.

Bill
Blank
Acute stage is a time period of approximately six months after being infected. Because the majority of people have an asymptomatic acute phase, most end up being diagnosed in the chronic stage after a routine blood test or perhaps trying to donate blood. Some, however -- I include myself-- had a symptomatic acute stage (fever, jaundice, etc) -- so the diagnosis was easy. The acute stage is also characterized by sky high liver enzmes (could be in the thousands) and often intermittent viremia meaning that the viral count can go from UND to detectible to UND and so on. 40% of women and around 15-20% of men will clear the virus naturally during the acute stage.
Blank
691935_tn?1282008141
Thanks - interesting.

So, Rick4444, must have been infected within the last 6 months as he stated the diagnosis is acute ?

And, Jim you also were acute?

Blank
And, Jim you also were acute?
----------------------------------------------
Everyone with Hep C is acute during the first six months. In my case, I had a symptomatic acute stage while most have an asymptomatic acute stage. The difference with Rick is that he has an opportunity to treat during the acute stage while I didn't because Hepatitis C wasn't "discovered" back then. For that reason I ended up treating close to 40 years later in of course the chronic stage.

-- Jim
Blank
691935_tn?1282008141
I see - thanks again.

-Stacie
Blank
Probably should modify my first sentence somewhat to read that everyone who has chronic Hep C had an acute stage during the first six months. There are also some who clear the virus naturally during the first six months and therefore once they clear they no longer have Hepatitis C. Also, at least one study shows that more people than previously thought actually clear the virus naturally *after* the acute stage and possibly even years later although statistically still quite a minority.

-- Jim
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank