Hepatitis C Community
Age and treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Age and treatment

If somebody is 69 y old,and the fibrosis is f2 , can be treated for hepatitis C ?
If they have no other health issues then sure. One would be wise to see a Hepatologist... Knowing what genotype they are would be a help as there should be easier treatments for genotype 2 and 3's after the first of the year.

Good luck
There is no age limited on the treatment of hepatitis C. Whether someone can treat or not is based of their current overall health status.

Studies have shown that HCV treatment generally was well tolerated by the elderly and there was little or no significant difference in SVR as well as therapy discontinuation rates secondary to adverse effects compared with younger age groups. However, there is a need for prospective randomized controlled trials to be conducted in HCV patients older than 65 years of age to better evaluate the safety and efficacy of HCV treatment in this age group.

There are many excellent hepatitis C and Liver disease clinics in NYC.
Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York University Medical Center
The Presbyterian Hospital in New York City

Good luck!
Hector
Thank you Hector.I choose my question randomly but thinking about myself. I know I have hepatitis C since 1985 .Of course I knew I had a non A non B hepatitis .My overall tests were good many years .Still I have good results ,,and a small amount of viruses as in my profile ,(6500) ,and F0-F1.A1.I would like to wait until they have an interferon free treatment  but still afraid of everything -becasue I feel OK I would like to live fearless a couple of more years .Thank again for answering Hector .
Thank you for your time can-do-man ,I do not know my genotype ,It is 1 for sure ,or almost sure ,but as I see ,it is important to know if it is a or b?
You're very fortunate to only have F0-F1 damage.  When was your most recent liver biopsy?
Advocate1955
No Biopsy ,I had only a so called fibromax score which looks at the different things :like fibrosis ,inflammation of liver,how advanced is the deposit of fat in liver and if somebody has  alcohol problems (scoreH)I will not do a biopsy if it is not a must .As I read here ,one will never know how fast will pass from F1 to F4 ,is this true? As I see when people approach 40 y from infection things can go bad .So I am concerned although I would like to wait the new line of medication ,without so many side effects.Thanks for your interest advocate1955
I am 79 and just finished a clinical trial for Hep C.  So far I am UND.  The damage had just started into cirrhosis after 47 years.  Great new treatments without interferon are available and more are on the way

Teschoa
I am genotype 4, almost 64, but healthy. Have started Sovaldi, Pegasys, Copegus 8 days ago. Go to Sovaldi website, click on Full Perscription Information and you will see that studies were done on  older people.