Alcohol
  Does anyone know what Alcohol consumption ( >30 g/day in males, >20 g/day in females) is.
I have seen this posted before and was curious how many drinks this 30 g/.day equates to.

Bobby
28 g = 1 oz
30 g of alcohol ~ 2.3 oz of vodka ~ 8-9 oz of wine.

As I recall from biochemistry, 30 g of alcohol can be detoxified by a healthy liver in 1 hr without obvious intoxication effect (the same effect for which alcohol is consumed in the 1st place).  The emphasis should be given to the term of a "healthy" liver.

Interestingly, a few studies I read lately suggest that heavier consumption for "healthy" livers is a safe and sound practice... for whatever reasons the think it is appropriate.... This makes me wonder...if  they paid attention in school (or just were partying).

All the best!!
In the United States there is 14 grams of pure alcohol in a "standard" drink. So 30 grams of alcohol would equal approx two standard drinks.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_drink
http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Practitioner/pocketguide/pocket_guide2.htm
Jim,

Not if you pour them the way I do!  ;)
LOL but I assume you mean "did" instead of "do", unless things have changed. Personally, I'm off beer completely for the time being, as I'm trying to eliminate carbs and lose that belly tire. Hope this finds you well these days.

-- Jim
Bob,

If you are pos for hep b or c, please do not drink alcohol.  That is like pouring

gasoline on a fire.
Yes, Jakied is right. But if you're going to insist on drinking, try making a Greek Tragedy. One part Ouzo, one part Metaxa and one part Grand Marnier over crushed ice. You will find out why they call it a Greek Tragedy.

Another very interesting summer drink if that one doesn't do the trick, is two ounces of overproof (190 proof) Jamaican rum, and Coke over crushed ice. We'll come visit you in the emergency ward...

Magnum
If you are pos for hep b or c, please do not drink alcohol.  
That is like pouring gasoline on a fire
-----------------------------------------------
Here is what AASLD and NIH have to say on Alcohol.

From the AASLD PRACTICE GUIDELINE
Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment of Hepatitis C
HEPATOLOGY, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2004

General Management Issues
An important adjunct to the therapy of HCV is to advise chronically affected persons of measures that might be helpful in reducing or even preventing further fibrosis progression, independent of treatment. Most important is the issue of the potential deleterious effect of alcohol.

There are numerous studies that have reported a strong association between the use of excess alcohol and the development or progression of liver fibrosis and even the development of HCC.57,58,201–204
Moreover, excess alcohol intake may increase HCV RNA replication and interfere with response to treatment.205,206

Controversy exists, however, about the level of alcohol intake that is clearly harmful to the HCV-infected person. It is widely believed that the daily consumption of more than 50 grams of alcohol has a high likelihood of worsening the fibrosis, but there are reports of levels of alcohol intake of less than that amount having a deleterious effect on the liver disease.207
Clearly, for heavy alcohol users, efforts should be undertaken to treat the alcohol abuse and dependence before starting treatment, but treatment is not contraindicated for persons who have an occasional drink of alcohol or who have a history of alcoholism.
Although no consensus opinion exists, it seems reasonable to recommend either the complete suspension of alcohol intake while on treatment or to restrict the use of alcohol to an occasional drink during the course of the treatment.

Obesity and its accompaniment, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, are believed to play a role in the progression of fibrosis in HCV-infected individuals.208,209 It is therefore appropriate to counsel those who are overweight (defined by a raised body mass index of _25 kg/m2) to attempt to lose weight. This is sound advice for its potentially positive impact not only on the liver disease but also on the other conditions associated with being overweight.

From the NIH Consensus statement 2002

What Are the Effects of Alcohol Consumption on Treatment of Hepatitis C?
Alcohol can affect the outcome of therapy in decreasing adherence or interfering with the antiviral actions of interferon or combination therapy. Virtually all large trials of therapy of hepatitis C have excluded persons who have a recent history of alcohol abuse, requiring a one- to two-year period of abstinence before therapy is initiated. However, the need for a period of abstinence has never been shown. Among patients treated for hepatitis C, a proportion continued drinking, and the ultimate response rate correlated inversely with the level of alcohol intake during therapy. The mechanism of the decreased response rate in patients drinking alcohol has not been defined. Some studies have shown that alcohol intake is associated with higher levels of HCV RNA(1,5) but other studies have not,(2,3,10) and the increase in HCV RNA levels with drinking alcohol has been modest. Thus, continued alcohol intake during therapy is likely to adversely affect the response to treatment, and both counseling and monitoring before and during therapy is recommended.

Conclusions
While the effects of heavy daily alcohol intake on the course of chronic hepatitis C appear to be incontrovertible, lesser amounts of alcohol may not be harmful.
On the other hand, abstinence appears to be prudent for the patient with chronic hepatitis C, particularly while receiving a course of alpha interferon or combination therapy.

Patients with a history of alcohol abuse or dependence should be asked to be abstinent for a period before starting therapy and need to be supported by professional counseling and monitoring during therapy.
Better studies using validated instruments to measure alcohol intake in larger numbers of patients, followed for longer periods and with careful histological documentation, are needed to better define the effects of moderate alcohol intake on chronic hepatitis C and the need for abstinence before and during therapy.

At the present time, there is no reason to withhold antiviral therapy of chronic hepatitis C from the patient with a history of alcoholism as long as adequate support can be provided during the period of therapy.

CS
Guys, sorry I'm butting into this thread, but I just felt like bringing some perspective into this thread, as I'm sure that we don't want to end up with one of these frustrating pro con alcohol threads again.

Bobby was only asking a technical question:

'Does anyone know what Alcohol consumption ( >30 g/day in males, >20 g/day in females) is.
I have seen this posted before and was curious how many drinks this 30 g/.day equates to.'

He is not implying he is drinking, nor that he wants to drink. So please lets leave it at that.

So let us just let this thread die.... I feel like I'm gonna cry, if this turns into another alcohol drama.  ;-(

Marcia

In Australia, the term standard drink is any drink containing 10 grams of alcohol .
One standard drink always contains the same amount of alcohol regardless of container size or alcohol type (ie, beer, wine, or spirit).

How are standard drinks calculated?
The formula for calculating standard drinks:
Volume of container in litres X % alcohol by volume X 0.789* = No standard drinks

*The specific gravity of ethyl alcohol is 0.789

You will need to convert fl oz to ml.
To convert from fluid oz (US) to ml multiply by 29.5735
12 fl oz = 12 * 29.5735 = 354.882 the round it 354.882 = 355

a 22 fl oz bottle of Arrogant ******* Ale Is
22 x 29.5735 = 650.617 = 651 rounded.
651 ml = .651 of a liter

So here is the Clac.
.651 x 7.2 x 0.789 = 3.698 standard drinks in 1 bottle

The calc for a 12 fl oz = 2.016 standards drinks. Strong stuff

Don’t know if that helps you, but at least I understand it now.

CS