Hepatitis C Community
Alinia (Nitazoxanide) Sources
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Alinia (Nitazoxanide) Sources

Hi, fellow medhelpers! At the risk of becoming a pest and annoying those who don't love me (yes, such people do seem to exist and they're not all doctors, I fear), I'm posting again. However, this is not a "give me" post, but a "giving back" post.

I spent some time recently searching for info on and sources of Alinia (one brand name), or nitazoxanide (the chemical name). I thought I'd share some of the information with you.

First, names. Nitazoxanide comes in so many different brand names that I can only list a few. Alinia was the first, and is the drug name given to nitazoxanide by its discoverer, Dr. Jean-Francois Rossignol, who works at the Pasteur Institute in Paris. The Pasteur Institute is where the AIDS virus was first isolated and identified (despite claims to the contrary by certain less-than-forthright persons at the National Institute of Health in Washington). Dr. Rossignol is part of a company called Romark Laboratories, in Tampa, Florida, which manufactures Alinia and is running the current trials for its use as an adjunct therapy with SOC.

Romark has licensed certain other manufacturers to produce nitazoxanide. These are the less-expensive equivalents that can be found, for example, in Europe and Canada and a few other places that still respect patents and copyrights. In places that don't, nitazoxanide is produced by a plethora of small-ish pharmaceutical companies under a myriad of brand names. A few of them are: Daxon, Dexidex, Pacovanton, Paramix, Nitax, Zox, Nitazox, Toza, Zóntricon, Celectan, Nixoran, Dexidex, Kidonax, Nitanid, Colufase, Nodik, Paraxin, Rosanil, Nitaxom, Noxolin, Uniplus7, Nitaxin, Nitapax, Zoxanid, Nitarid, Bionit, Rosanil, Parsenida, Zotanixin.

Who thinks up all these silly names? It makes you wonder...

Anyway, these are all nitazoxanide, or pretend to be. The ones that are manufactured in places where there isn't much control over pharmaceuticals might not be exactly the same formula as the nitazoxanide used in Alinia. On the other hand, it isn't a very complex chemical so there's really not much point in them using anything else (unless it's sugar or talc).

One point about the chemical contents that could be important, though, is that Romark appears to be using a time-release formulation of nitazoxanide in the Alinia used in their trials. I sincerely doubt that any of these other nitazoxanides are time-release.

Prices vary widely, as one would imagine. And since the Internet has spawned huge industries of online wholesalers, retailers, and geographically-unidentifiable resellers of everything under the sun including pharmaceuticals, there are places (I use this term in its broadest virtual sense) where you can buy nitazoxanide, or something that looks very much like it, for a small fraction of what the name brand companies sell it for. Here's a list of the ones I've had time to look at, together with price data:

===========================================

http://www.wisemeds.net/buy_online/Nitarid.shtml
***@****

Nitarid
Glenmark Ltd.
500mg x 60 Tablets  $55.42  ($0.92/tablet)

http://www.brandprescriptiondrugs.com/Nitazoxanide.htm   (Int'l comparison site)

Nitarid

Cipla Ltd. (India)

2 x 60 tabs x 500mg  $ 99.65  ($0.83/tablet)

http://www.generics.ws/shopping_carts/show/

(India)

Nizonide
Lupin Pharm.

12 x 2 = 24 for $18.96  =  ($0.79/tablet)

OnlinePharmaciesCanada.com

(Canada)

Generic 500mg 60 Tablets $73.79  ($1.23/tablet)

http://www.farmasana.com.mx/productos.pdf

(Mexico)

Kidonax

65 pesos = 5USD /bottle of 6 x 500mg   ($0.83/tablet)

Nitaxin - Qualifarm SA in Guatemala

(Guatemala)

6 tablets x 500mg  69 Quetzals = 8 USD ($1.33/tablet)

Teléfono: 2414 4242
Fax: 23371560
4ta. Avenida 19-33, zona 14
Guatemala, Guatemala

http://patientindia.com/resultDetails.php?searchC=1&genId=1047&brandId=10880

(India)

NIZONIDE   6  x  ? 45.36   Lupin Laboratories

http://chemistparadise.com/Nizonide_500_mg-d-32183.html

(India)

Nizonide 500 mg
Name:   Nizonide
Manufacturer:   Lupin Laboratories Ltd. (Pinnacle)
Form:   Tablet
Dosage:   500 mg
Packing:   10
Chemical name:   Nitazoxanide
Price:   3.50 ($1.67/tablet)

Others:

Brand:   Manufacturer:   Dosage:   Price:  

Zimdax DT   US Vitamins Limited   200 mg   2.50
Mehulox   Heal All Pharmaceuticals (P) Ltd.   500mg   3.50
Mehulox DT   Heal All Pharmaceuticals (P) Ltd.   200mg   2.50
Nitacure   Alembic Chemical Works Co Ltd   200mg   3.67
Nitarid   Cipla Limited   500mg   6.25
Nitarid DT   Cipla Limited   200mg   4.42
Nitcol   Rexcel Pharmaceuticals   500mg   5.83
Nitcol DT   Rexcel Pharmaceuticals   200mg   4.17
Zstop   Svizera Healthcare (Sigma Division)   200mg   4.42
Nizonide   Lupin Laboratories Ltd. (Pinnacle)   500 mg   3.50
Nizonide DT   Lupin Laboratories Ltd. (Pinnacle)   200 mg   7.50
Zimdax DT (500 mg)   US Vitamins Limited   500 mg   3.50
Zoxakind   Mankind Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.   500 mg   5.0

Chemical4u Ltd.
26 Parkridge Road
Ward Hill, Mumbai 01835 India
Catalog sales: +91-800-343-0660 or 978-521-6300
Bulk/Specialty Sales: +91-888-343-8025
***@****
FAX:           +91 101 889 9898

http://www.mexmeds4you.com/productdetails.asp?pid=1886

(Mexico)

Nitazoxinide Generic - 500 mg
Package Size: 6 tabs
Price: $10  ($1.67/tablet)

http://www.progressiverx.com/store/search.php?mode=search&page=1

(Canada)

Alinia (Nitazoxanide)

60 Pills x 500 mg  $71.99   ($1.20/tablet)

Whew! There sure is a lot of nitazoxanide around. And it seems to be getting cheaper by the minute.

Now, some of these companies (I use the term loosely) may require a prescription, or say they do. Others don't. Still others make believe they do but give you unusual ways of showing you've got one, like emailing a scan of a prescribed bottle label! People need to investigate these details and deal with them individually (like most other things in this sad, strange world).

I hope this info is of some use. I personally believe that nitazoxanide has been shown to work and that it beats doing SOC alone, especially for us gt1 infectees. Being gt1, 65 years old, and having a high viral load and low platelets, I figure my chances of SVRing with SOC are around 20%. So I'm not going to Tx with just SOC, I'll add nitazoxanide. It makes sense.

Cheers!

Mike

Related Discussions
71 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
I stand corrected by one of the Romark people about the time-release (Controlled Release) Alinia:

"The tablets in use clinically and our U.S. trials is the standard immediate-release tablet. The CR tablet has undergone only a small phase 2a study in Egypt."

M.
Blank
I would not consider doing SOC without  nitazoxanide. Why would you ?(after doing one's OWN research.)  The web is a life saver. jerry
Blank
If its a pharmacy in Canada and it really is in Canada, I would think about it.

As for some of the other places, I am not so sure. Can you get it tesedt to see if the first batch is the real thin?
Blank
Sorry. I forgot to say thank you for the info. I know you spent some time on doing all this research and Idid not mean to be unappreciative.
I am just not familiar with on line pharmacies.

Blank
thanks Mike, that is really useful information. I was just about to start looking for myself
Blank
476246_tn?1310999221
Just wanted to say that I'm NOT one of those people who don't love you.

Good research there!

Hugs my friend, Marcia
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
I have not checked out any of these sources or their products, so I have no first-hand knowledge of their quality or purity.

There is a certain amount of scamming going on in the world of pharmaceuticals (no, I am not making jokes). For example, there was recently an awful case here in Argentina, in which a union official in cahoots with a drug falsifier was supplying his union's health plan with phony medicines (unfortunately all too typical in Argentina.) I'm sure the same thing goes on in many countries.

OTOH, just because a pharmaceutical manufacturer or re-seller is known only in one country, even when it's a 3rd-world country, doesn't mean they aren't legit. I've been using all sorts of Argentine generic drugs from recognized local labs for years with no complaints. However, caveat emptor are the key words here.

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to have a pow-wow about this subject with my local pharmacist, a very knowledgable guy who sells a lot of generic drugs. However, in my case, here in Argentina, there is an important local manufacturer selling nitazoxanide under a proprietary licensed brand name - Nixoran - at a reasonable price. Still, since a full 48 weeks supply at two tablets a day comes to 672 tablets, every dollar saved per tablet is a big total saving.

Mike
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
For the ultimate do-it-yourselfer, it seems you can buy bulk nitazoxanide in 25 kg drums from a Chinese manufacturer. They don't give any prices online, but it must be super cheap. Here's what I copied off the website:

Nitazoxanide
Molecular Formula: C12H9N3O5S [55981-09-4]
Molecular Mass: 307.3
Specification:
Appearance: Light Yellowish Powder
Purity:(HPLC): ≥99.5%
Main Impurity: (HPLC) ≤0.1%
Packing: 25kg/drum

KINGLAND CHEMICALS CO.,LTD.
HEAD OFFICE: ROOM 1806-1808 JINFENG MANSION,NO.281 ZHONG HE ZHONG ROAD,HANGZHOU,CHINA.
Post Code: 310003
TEL: +86-571-87218261
FAX: +86-571-87218279
FACTORY: HANGZHOU GULF FINE CHEMICAL ZONE,SHANGYU,ZHEJIANG,CHINA
Post Code: 312369
E-mail: ***@****
URL: http://www.kinglandchemicals.com

I hope I'm not breaking any laws by posting all this info. In case I am, here's my disclaimer:

I am not a health care professional and am not recommending any of these medications to anyone for anything. I am also not in any business related to medicine or pharmacy, and I do not buy any pharmaceutical products for other than personal medical reasons.

Cheers!

Mike
Blank
25 kg Drums?...order  me 2  barrels while your at it.
                                                                               .
@(^_^)@

Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
Hey Mike,

Looks like you got them all. WOW , I did not know there were so many different

Nitazoxanide manufacturers. I decided to stick with the original and lucky me the

insurance so far is even paying for it which I did not expect in a million years since

it is off label use. I learned in case of a dought do not call them and ask but just have

your pharmacist order it with a rx from your physician.

I started out reading the articles about it in Gastro March 2009 . Any Hepatologist

I spoke to said I was crazy and would never give me rx because it was not SOC.

After many hours,days,weeks and months I got the Chief of Hepatology @ Romark

to talk to my GP and convinced him of safety of Alinia. Finally got my rx and

went to pharmacy. Voila , they ordered and I got it for  $60 /month 60 tabs.

I garantee you if I would call my insurance and asked they would tell me it is not

covered !

By the way I am taking it for a month now and I am also doing the Dr. Berkson protocoll.

Just got new labs today. My ALT is now 44 (was 64) and my AST 19 (was 31)

If this keeps going a VL test is coming soon.

Bali05
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Do you know anyone who´s got a pill-making machine?

M.
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Gee, good for you! You are a real sticker. I like your history with Romark. I have heard from others, and have experienced myself, how helpful they are. Im going to start very soon doing the same´as you: trying to convince the hep MDs I know to give me an Rx. If they won´t, I may just self-prescribe. While I´m waiting to get into a PI trial, I want to do everything possible to stop the fibrosis.

I´ll be VERY interested to learn if it gets your viral load down, so please message me when you do that VL.

Cheers!

Mike
Blank
Thanks for your information.

I ordered from the first website, but until now, it has been 16 days, I haven't received it. And I wrote a letter to them (yesterday), they haven't replyed to me. Although they gave me an order tracking number and Order number, I don't know where I should input them in and get some information, no delivery company information. And on their website, no where I can input Order number. I called them, but nobody answered. It's really really unreliable.

And I also tried http://www.generics.ws/shopping_carts/show/ , they haven't given me any responce, are they cheaters? How can I protect myself?

Does anybody have similar experience?

Looking forward to your reply.  Thanks

Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
first my gp told me i could get alinia rx from him
than after calling some hepdoc friends he chickened out
so i ordered nizonide from india , after a few days i called
the online pharmacy and challenged them  for proving  authenticity
they chose to never charge my cc and i got 2 months supply anyway
than i got in touch with romark , had the chief of hepatology over there
talk to and convince my gp about safety for off label use, went with rx
to pharmacy and it turned out insurance is paying, this was 4 months ago.
today i am about to add SOC and I can get rx from my treating hepdoc as
well.
what once seemed unobtainable is no more an issue for the time being.
still have 120 tabs of nizonide in my closet in case insurance stops
paying ect.... showed to my GP , says looks totally authentic packaging and all
Nizonide by Lupin Pharm.
I would stick with canadian online pharmacy today.
not sure who you are dealing with

Blank
Actually I am a HBV patient, I want to try alinia.

First I ordered from archepelogosupply, it has been 15 days, I can't get it.

Then I ordered from this website, http://www.buy-pharma.com/. And they thought I withdraw payment a lot, so they asked me to show some personal documents, I think it's too dangerous since those are very important persomal information. So, we have to cancel the order.

Canadian online pharmacy requires prescription, I don't have one, so, I am still trying to buy from India.

Thanks for your information.
Blank
It's wierd, cause I never cancel a charge from credit card.

I haven't gotten the order from that archepelogosupply, but they replied me, enhanced my confidence.
Blank
233616_tn?1312790796
I'm glad you are adding the Alinia Mike, I was impressed by it also, and had the same fight getting it, but eventually my doc went along, wrote the script and the ins. paid, no questions....maybe they just assumed I has some parasite, since the guy writing the script is a GI guy, don't know..but hey...I took it.

It didn't help me, and it's too early to say it will help all genotypes, but it definitely makes a dent for some...and the price coming down finally is good news...it was 1000 bucks a month when I took it.

BTW, look at the monotherapy results....something is definitely up with this drug and HCV:
A phase II, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of nitazoxanide treatment for 24 weeks in 50 patients with chronic hepatitis C genotype 4 was conducted to evaluate safety with prolonged administration and to determine the antiviral efficacy of nitazoxanide monotherapy.5 In this study, 7 of 23 patients (30.4%) treated with nitazoxanide achieved undetectable serum HCV RNA compared with 0 of 24 in the placebo group at the end of treatment, and 4 patients (17.4% of 23 treated) had a sustained virologic response (SVR).5 All responders had baseline serum HCV RNA levels of 400,000 IU/mL or less. This monotherapy study was followed by an initial pilot experience showing increased virologic response rates with nitazoxanide plus peginterferon and greater efficacy if nitazoxanide was administered initially as monotherapy during a lead-in phase before beginning combination therapy with peginterferon.

30% went UND, and several SVR'd without any other drug...that says volumes!
Good luck to you!
mb
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Hi, Merry. Nice to hear from you again. Actually, I have not started Tx yet. But when and if I do, I plan to take Nitazoxanide. Don't know whether or not I can talk an MD into scripting me for it, but I can get it over-the-counter here probably without a scrip (for the time being, anyway). There's an Argentine company (Roemmers) producing it. And it's relatively cheap.

I'm watching for new Romark test results. Should be interesting.

Cheers!

Mike
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting nitazoxanide. I have not yet tried to buy it, and all that info was posted from online sources that I haven't tested, myself. It was just a prelim research project, so to speak.

I think you're right to cancel out as soon as soon as there's trouble. You can't trust online stuff. I'd be pretty leery of giving my card number to a company I didn't know, especially one in Asia or Latin America.

That said, numerous medhelpers have bought nitazoxanide off-scrip from some of these places, and it seems to have worked out. So don't give up.

I would certainly take Bali05's suggestion, if I were you, and get in touch with Romark. They seem to have a very liberal policy about providing Alinia to people.

Good luck

Mike
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Hey, I like your procurement methods. You wouldn't be a relative of Looey "Shorty" Tavalino, would ya?

M.
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
yes, he is a distant cousin of mine!
Blank
Thanks for your reply!
I am a HBV patient, so I don't know if Romark will help me. But I will try my best to get it.
Blank
Yesterday I got my first order from the first website provided by Mike716, thanks, Mike.
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
I'm very glad to hear that. Was that Nitarid, from Glenmark Ltd.?

M.
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Thought so [wink].
Blank
488823_tn?1218374167
really dont know much about what I'm reading or how I fit into this, because I really dont know how bad I am. I've had hep c for at least 45 years and went through 3 treatments and the last for a year with interferon and ribo and the pill for the platelets (electrobopag) or what ever its called and of course my virus came back only 2 months after treatment.My VL was in the millions and my platelets are around 70, also got a bad case of lynchin planis which seems to be getting better although not sure if it was the treatment or getting better on its own.I'm reading about this "alinia " drug and wondering if it would be good for me, although my doctor from Miami told me he was going to start me on inform 1 but now its postponed until the end of the year. You guys Know alot more then I'm capable of understanding and need some input if you dont mind and I wont hold you to it for sure.Even some of these abbreviations make me go nuts but I try to google them to find out what they mean, so any input would be fine. Thanks
Blank

brand alinia from romark can be bought from here:
http://www.merlonipharma.ch/eng_frm_presentazione.htm

this is a real pharmacy with real shop, address and phone number but you can call or email to buy drugs online too.it is not an online indian generic pharmacy but only brand drugs but it is very big so you can call or email to have any drug.
it is in swiss so it allows to get drugs by courrier in 24hr in european countries without getting thrugh customs
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
What´s the advantage in buying it from this Swiss pharmacy, the price?
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Hi, Salvo. Sorry to hear about your sad experiences with Tx.

I am no expert on Nitazoxanide (Alinia). I just did some research on it and where to buy it. I have never taken it, myself. Not yet, anyway.

However, there are some people in this forum who have taken it or are taking it presently, and who have more information. You can read their posts (and get their Medhelp names) by doing a search with the keyword "Alinia" (just above and to the right of the top of this thsearch this community").

Cheers!

Mike
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
there is no Alinia expert for Hep C. It was discovered to have antiviral
properties and is currently in trials for HepC.

with the difference that it already on the market for a dfferent use

you are pretty much on your own when you take it

to me anything that has minimal side effects and works against HCV is great.

what geno are you ?
Blank
488823_tn?1218374167
Although I'm not positive and it states on my record "unknown" I am a type 1, I'm sure.
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
if you are geno 1 non responder wait for Telapevir (approx 12mo.) to be available.

If you absolutely can not wait , I would take Alinia , Predose Riba, Doubledose Peg

first 4 weeks.(do not know your situation so you need to check this with your doc}

Very important : Are you insulin resistant ? Please check fasting glucose and fasting

insulin (same blood draw) calculate homa score. Insulin resistance is one of THE

reasons people do not respond well. It can be caused by the virus without you

having symptoms , so do this very important simple test.
Blank
488823_tn?1218374167
I have never been told this but have been told I'm boarder line diabetic. I sometimes get the cold sweats, nervous  and have to eat a piece of chocolate to get rid of this feeling. I have taken my test several times with wife's tester and I most of the time come up with a reading of less then 90 and have had a couple on the 101 to 103 readings.When ever this feeling happens I check and it shows low as 82, so I dont know if its related or not and no one ever told me this. Thanks
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
you need to test fasting insulin and glucose at the same time

and calculate homa score.

glucose alone only tells you if your are diabetic
Blank
Is it wise to take this compound without it having completed trials for use in HVC?
Blank
What´s the advantage in buying it from this Swiss pharmacy, the price?

no the price is the same as a real pharmacy, the advantage is for who is not concerned about the price at all and wants 100% romark product in a very short time and without customs in europe

i have ordered nizonide on progressive since on website the name is alinia but i received the generic by lupin (the swiss pharmacy is out of stock for tablets now and will take 3-4 weeks for the order), but since i am in cirrhois stage i am not sure if to risk the indian product, i only know cipla from india that has fda approval for aids antivirals and don't know anything about lupin.i should have been more carefull on ordering and should have takes nitarid from cipla

did anyone tried nizonide marketed by lupin and manuf by ind-swift ltd, is it nitazoxanide and safe 100%?
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
what , you want !00% safety ?
Don`t you know NOTHING is 100% with Hep C ?
Or wait I think that fact in itself is 100% propably the only thing

Many drugstores like for example Wahlgreens have their store brand
drugs made in India even by Lupin I believe.
It is enough that the facility was once inspected by FDA
and it`s declared FDA approved faclity anywhere in the world.

the only difference between Alinia and Nizonide are the inative ingredients
like fillers ect.... that is was the online pharmacist says.

You should call Romark and ask for their pharmacist or dr. to tell you if Alinia
is safe with cirrhosis and go from there.
Blank

already checked they did trials with compensated cirrhosis too patients

by the way i am with other posters on hbv not hcv, it is very different since hbv is much more weaker than hcv and alinia at the time had the highest svr rates.

the tablets i got are marketed lupin but manuf ind-swift that's the main issue,
and i haven't found much about ind-swift
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239

Nothing comes up ?

http://indswiftltd.com/index.html

Registered & Corporate Office:

781, Industrial Area - Phase II,
Chandigarh-160 002 (India)
Phone 91-172-2638781, 2638782, 2638786, 3092001
Fax: 91-172 - 2652242

E-mail :
***@****

they list nizonide

I would call them and check lot# and manufacturing date

I got the stuff you are talking about in my closet and showed it to my GP

he says it looks legit.

Blank

thank you very much, i have started taking them yesterday

they sent without box, but there s a number on blister so i will email that to ind-swift (but i would say 90% they don't even answer, let's see)

on the website nizonide is not present, there is a formulation of nizoxanide plus an antibiotic in the same pill, name is similar but it is not nizonide 500

i think lupin makes nizonide 500 and has ind-swift to make some nizonide for them so the product is not on ind-swift website
Blank

99,9% it is legit LUPIN product, i found articles about agrement with ind-swift for production of the drug
Blank
I am from India and using Nizonide since nov 2009. Tolerating well but my viral load has gone up after I added SOC 3 months into it. Lupin is a firly reliable company
Blank
Anyone know anything about this site:

http://www.noprescriptioneeded.com/buy-online.php?drug=Alinia&st=2d

Also, I'm an American currently without prescription for Alinia.  In case I can't get a doctor to prescribe Alinia, can someone recommend the best place to buy from?
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Hi! I'm the one who started the thread. I checked out that URL, and it seems to be legit. The domain name is operating out of Dallas, so at least it doesn't appear to be overseas (alhtough domain name registration locale is no proof). Note that you have to pay a membership to use their service. I didn't register, but I saw that they do claim to sell no -scrip Alinia for $0.43 per 500mg cap. Probably the Indian product.

There are lots of sources, many of which I listed in my original post (above). I can't recommend them, though. And it depends what you mean by "best". Best price? Best quality? Best service?

Sorry I can't help more.

Mike
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
Hey Mike,

Let me know when you find the 625mg time release version.

Cheers
Bali
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
I don't think anyone is selling it yet. Romark has been very ambiguous about it. I queried them directly about its use in their trials, and they told me they were not trialing it. But somewhere (I can't recall where) I read they were. They're probably giving it to some arm in some trial, but they don't seem to want to give out the info. Probably because it conflicts with their sales of the already-marketed 500mg caps. And none of the other manufacturers is making the time-release version. At least, this is the extent of my information. If you know something I don't, please tell me.

The time-release sounds like an awfully good idea, not only to keep the blood level constant but to cut down on the digestive system side effects. I've read a bunch of reports on the use of Alinia for its original purpose - knocking out parasitic diarrhea - that say it can cause severe digestive problems when taken on an enpty stomache, but, as we all know, taking any medication with food reduces its uptake by about 50%. So, time-release sure seems the way to go.

M.
Blank
I just wanted to tell you I am with you on understanding or shall I say NOT understanding all the abbreviations.Somewhere omn here is a post that someone put the meaning of them all on for us.These are some very well educated people on here and I feel very lucky to have them!!!
Blank
My husband has been on the peg-intron/riba combo for 19 weeks think its ok to start taking in the middle of SOC.I read your disclaimer.No worries from me jusst trying to learn.I doubt I could get him to add another pill to all his meds anyway.You know the deal SOC comes with 10 more meds to controll all the sides.
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
I agree that starting Alinia in the middle of SOC doesn't sound like a good idea. Too many drugs already floating around. They start to have cross-reactions. And Alinia is supposed to work best when it's done with a lead-in.

Mike
Blank
Thanks.,It would be nice if they would start all the drugs that control the sides 1st.For sure the ZOLOFT
Blank

http://www.lupinpharmaceuticals.com/adrsub.htm#product_t

on hbv nitazoxanide is dynamite, our group is using nizonide500 from lupin officil distributors, we have also checked purity and it is 99,9655% which is a good value although not 100%

we haven't checked nitarid from cipla purity but i have found some docs online about it and it ooks little less than nizonide500
Blank

forgot to say we are using 1,5-2g daily no sides and using probiotics to prevent diarrea (diarrhea) or in case of diarrea (diarrhea)
the 2g daily dose every 12hr looks much more potent than 1g

Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
"the 2g daily dose every 12hr looks much more potent than 1g"

How does it look more potent ?
Blank

well we re on hbv so it doesn't correlate to hcv, virus are different universe

you might check for hcv trials with slow release tablet 2700mg daily, 100% got hbvrna <12iu/ml by 16h week i believe it was genotype 4

as to hbv 2g result i will check tomorrow but it is only 3 weeks on 2g, i hope the hbsag got very low (first 4 weeks it got down 2600iu/ml at 1-1,5 staggered dose, no other drug can lower hbsag so fast and only interferon lowers it a little)

i have also found a trial of ntz+reuteri baccillus to regress cirrhosis encephalopathy and tried it instead of the other probiotics to prevent diarrea (diarrhea) and it is working very well, yesterday i went to bathroom 4-5times solid stools (i also have a fiber rich diet), today i went 2 times and stools were super solid
Blank

as to ntz quality if you know drug makers in other countries than indian that might make a better ntz please let us know so that we check if 100% purity can be reached
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
slow release is not available

HCV is what I am interested in not HBV
Blank
good to hear about the solid progress!

BTW - how are you assessing NTZ purity? is there a lab running HPLCs?
Blank
1113735_tn?1273178030
Hello stefano,

do you have any informations , if Lupin Pharmaceuticals, have distributors ,in Italy, or in Swiss, or in Europe, any country. I see that you are from Italy, I am very close too, Belgrade,Serbia. Greetings, and >I am happy for you that you have started taking it.
Blank
979080_tn?1323437239
anybody with HCV taking 3x 500mg of NTZ ?
Blank
Thanks for your hard work in compiling this info.
Blank
More than enough sources here to find Alinia.  Great Information.

Would it be helpful to take for a genotype 1 hepatitis c patient?  If so, why and are there any studies or evidence to show this from a reliable website?

Again, thanks for the information Mike.
Blank
I will leave the studies for someone else but I can tell you that my husband used Alinia for 16 months on his 3rd TX try.  He predosed one month.  It gave him diarrhea but it only gives that special gift to some people.  I don't know how Joe gets so lucky. :>)
He still did not achieve SVR but he came much closer to it than he ever had prior.  With Alinia, he at least had the 2 log drop in 12 weeks but it wasn't enough of a boost for Joe.  His viral load got stuck in the low 100's and after 15 months, we had to give it up.  If he didn't have cirrhosis, we would nave needed to stop much sooner but we threw everything we had at it and still came up short.  For someone that is more responsive to the interferon than Joe, it might be just the kick you need to get you an SVR.  Bali has taken lots of Alinia and never had the diarrhea issue.  He also has cleared his geno4 early which can also be a hard genotype.  Well, that is my two cents.  I would want to use it if you can get it.  Because of Joe's desperate status, Joe's insurance covered it after Romark sent them a ream of study info they had at the time.  I don't think it has performed well enough to become common protocol but I personally would look for every edge I could get.
Ev
Blank
Several valued attemtps :) You're husband used Alinia for 16 months, that's a long time.  It sounds as if Joe had a 2 log reduction at the 12 week marker, and didn't clear, is that correct?  Bali is diong very well with his treatment.  Forgot to ask, what genotype was Joe, who told him to take it, and why?  I'm in the process of deciding whether I should take it or not.  I need studies or hard scientific evidence from reliable and trusted websites in order to take it first.  Cory.  
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
If you put "Alinia" and/or "nitazoxanide" into the Medhelp search engine, you should come up with a lot of threads and messages containing personal stories and links to studies and websites.

Mike
Blank
So far I've only been able to find that it significantly increased sustained response rates for Geno 4's.

Here's a nice link you might want to take a look at.  

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Alinia/show/338944
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Your link is for a thread from 2007. Kinda old news, no?

Here are three Alinia trial links I was sent a coupla months ago, can't remember by whom:

http://www.kenes.com/easl2010/Posters/Abstract130.htm
http://www.kenes.com/easl2010/Posters/Abstract1.htm
http://www.kenes.com/easl2010/Orals/296.htm

M.
Blank
You are correct, it is an older thread.  I think the context of the information is still good though.  Are you basing your decision to take Alinia Mike on these three links provided?

At an initial glance the FIRST link looks good, I'm not doubting the reliability of the data contained there in , I'd like to know more about it.  Where it came from , who provided the link , and most importantly is this data good enough?

I'm wondering if this study was done at the Columbia University Medical Center by Basa P?  If K. Rayapudi was from the Vassar Brothers Hospital, in Poughkeepsie New York, or if N.J. Shah, T Pacana , N. Krishnaswamy , or R. Brown Jr. at the North Shore University Hospital at Forest HIlls, NY , USA had anything to do with it?  I've not yet sent an email to ***@**** yet, but intend to do so at some point.  

The poster presentation data is dated April 15, 2010.  The TITLE, reads presenting data in terms of , effects of high dose ribavirin , alinia , and pegylated interferon alfa-2a in attaining SVR in tx of chronic hep c.  Alinia is an interferon inducer that may increase SVR in combination with PegINT and Riba.  They are assessing Alinia in this open-label, pilot study of naive hepatitis c GT1 patients.  All received NTZ 500 mg bid - during the first 2 weeks.  Riba 800 mg AM , 600 mg PM , added to NTZ for 2 weeks , PegIFN alfa-2a 180 mcg weekly added to Riba and NTZ at same dose.  The Predictive values during VRVR, RVR, EVR, ETR, and SVR were assessed.  Now, The patients.  23 total.  39% Caucasian , 17% Hispanic , 21% African-American , and 21% Asian.  The average Body Mass Index was 27.9.  The average HCV RNA - 600,000 IU/ml, fibrosis or scarring F2 57%.  It did increase the SVR rate.  The results were that 56.5% achieved SVR compared to the standard global 46% for GT1 patients.  

I will review the second and third link when I get more time :)  Cory.  
Blank

sorry i answer late, of course i am on the hbv community and rarely read here

i haven t found no sources in europe for cheap generics that can be very reliable, only thw swiss pharmacy which orders from romark but they are very very expensive
i am still buying from canada (but they are in india and send from india) progressiverx

i am also trying daxon from an online mexican pharmacy since HR suggested daxon in mexico (which is lincensed by romrk rather than indian ntz)

we are lucky we have somebody in the group who can check ntz quality.
my only concern is that we might get some fake pills or expired ones mixed with the others so i'd prefer to find real pharmacies, not online.

we have only US lupin pharmacies ditributors so the best way is to have a friend who can buy in US and a prescription
Blank
It's a Good news., is Alinia (Nitazoxanide) available in the Philippines? i'm desperate for a cure (HbsAg clear)
Blank
92903_tn?1309908311
Just because you spend nights and days spinning the dance floors with buxom Agentine women in skimpy dresses and strappy heels? Really, Mike. What's not to love?
Blank
475555_tn?1303617674
Hey, how are you? Long time no see (or something like that).

I´m going to let you into a well-kept secret about these buxom Argentine women at the dance halls. Their chests are made of plastic and it´s really hard to dance with them because their embrace is painful. Really. And they lose their balance easily. ´cause silicone weighs a ton.

It´s true that they wear skimpy dresses, but after dancing for three hours I would rather they covered up.

As to those high spike heels, have you ever had one come down onto your metatarsal with the weight of a siliconed-up six-foot broad behind it?

Not all is what it seems, believe me.

M.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703