Alpha Protein
I have cirrhosis of the liver. I have had it since 1991. Recently I have been told that my Alpha Protein numbers were too elevated. What is this, how does one get it and what can one do to keep these numbers low?

I was treated with interferon when my Hepatitis C was first discovered, but, it didnt work on me.

Now I am told I have to go on interferon again with a lower dosage to keep the numbers under control.

I do not understand all these technical terms. Can u explain it to me in "plain English"?

Thank you very much for yor help.
Alpha-fetoprotein is a protein that can be seen in elevated levels as a result of cirrhosis or viral hepatitis.

It is also used as a tumor marker - elevation may mean there is a tumor.

It isn't something you can "get" or something you can control with a multi-vitamin or diet.

If you were treated for Hepatitis C in the early 90's, you've missed a couple of big leaps in treatment, the use of Ribavirin in conjunction with interferon and the advent of pegylated interferons (long acting). Also it is more common to treat someone with cirrhosis than in the past.

Treatment can take a couple of forms, to try and eradicate the virus or a maintenance mode. Recent studies suggest that liver damage may be somewhat reversable under treatment.

I hope this helps to answer your questions! God bless.  -Michael

I was just diagnosed last week with HepC and this board has been wonderful.  I was given some great sites that are posted under 12/23/03 to HELP....by eyehavegreatlife.
Here is one that seemed to help me the most with my lab result numbers:>>www.janis7hepc.com/labs.htm if this isn't correct, please go to the post I mentioned above and look at about 17 website I was given!  Hope this helps.