Hepatitis C Community
Alternatives to Ativan (Lorazepam)?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Alternatives to Ativan (Lorazepam)?

From the beginning of tx my Doc has told me not to be a hero, meaning if I need something for the sides he'll help.

Someone once posted here that they feel like a "wounded animal" by the end of a day.  After a grueling work day that's how I feel and my family gets the brunt of it.

On first tx I smoked some pot after work & the 2-3 hours of family time was fine.  Prove 3 won't allow this & I won't jepordize my participation in the trial.

My doc prescribed Ativan (Lorazepam) 0.5 mg to take the edge off.  The first 10 minutes are fine but then I go to sleep.

Two things on the table so don't get on me: 1.) I haven't smoked pot since High School  2.) Before tx all I took was an occasional Clartin D.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for an alternative that won't make you crash?

course, I'm no expert, but why don't you just cut your ativan down with a pill cutter? When I've ever had to take them, I cut it in fourths, and I can still feel it, though I'm drug sensitive. But I know others who do this too, and they can still feel it. Might be worth a try. Also, just take it on an "as needed" basis, not everyday. One thing that's confusing to me though, you said you smoked pot on your last tx, and it was fine, then you said you hadn't smoked pot since you were in high school? Ha, maybe I'm confused. Also, there's xanax, that might be so "crashing" for you, again, if it is, try cutting it down, and only take it as needed. hope this helps.
Let me restate that....Until my last tx I haven't smoked pot since High School :-)
I take .5 mg of ativan to sleep at night. What is your mg per tablet? You might want to take one benedryl. It may make you drousy, but not fall a sleep.
Prozac has been a life saver for me to date. 17 weeks in and I'm tired but happy.
Just had my primary care physician change my meds from Ativan to Xanax and Lexapro to Prozac, I have used this combination twice before and it worked just fine for me.  On some nights I do cut my Xanax in half.  Just depends on how much anxiety I have.  They last longer that way too, if you cut them in half and they work. Only have to pay for a prescription every other month instead of every month.  Good Luck with getting a balance.

Cajun
I used a child's dose of Phenegran.  I could take anywhere from 1/2  a tablet at a time to 2 tablets at a time.  Hence, I was able to control how much I needed and how drowsy I got.   Unfortunately, most anit-nauseants will make you drowsy.  One has to be careful with Phenegran, it cannot be used on people with ESLD.  I'm a 3/3 and my doc had no problem with prescribing it for me.

Mouse
genotype 1a, Stage 3, Grade 3
Finished 48 weeks of tx on 4/13/07
Hoping for SVR on September 20, 2007
My hepatologist recommended pot (the medical sort I presume) for me during treatment to help combat nausea and increase my appetite. If there was any chance it would reduce my chances of SVR, I doubt he would have recommended it. Pot doesn't agree with me at all, so I declined. Valium is similar to Ativan but it might put you to sleep as well. As suggested, try half a dose. Many people here seem to take ADs like Lexipro to keep from kicking the dog. I didn't but my doc also prescribes that for treatment related agitation.

-- Jim
Valium has a longer half life than Ativan, so is a bit longer lasting, and not as many peaks and valleys--
However, Benzo's are very addictive- be careful.
Personally, I have my medical marijuana, and take think that it is the superior way to deal with these issues (if you have no aversion or addiction issues with cannabis). It is supplied through a dispensary.
I am having injection 22 Sunday, of 24. UD at week 4. Type 2--
I have been very low energy lately, and am looking forward to number 24.
Try xanax.... Works like a charm and I never felt sleepy on them.

Meki
I was prescribes lorazepam for anxiety and panic attacks and I got hooked. ,Everyone can cut the benzo'z into pieces and take them as needed, YOU'RE STILL GONNA GET HOOKED , there is no way around it! Benzo's make people feel better fast, and is as acceptable today as alcohol! I took them just as I needed them, like I was told. It is so addictive, and harder to get off of then heroin. Now doctor's are being told to just keep patients on it for two months and then find an alternative. Valium works so-so, but can be really dangerous for someone having an addictive personality, cause once that so-called feeling is gone, and you believe it has worn off, you can take one more and overdose just like that! Xanex is much stronger than lorazepam. People are way too dependent on taking a pill to ease symptoms instead of finding the root of the problem with their anxiety & panic problems. What actually is the pill doing for the problem in the long run? It is temporarily calming one down, maskiing and numbing the root of the problems, whatever they are, and they are turning people into addicts. And they have two choices: Remain on the benzo's, live in a fantasy world & pretend you are not othe kind of person who gets addicted to drugs,  or go to treatment, detox, and get off benzo's. Whatever the choice, the root of the anxiety/panic has not been dealt with, and so the problem remains. Breathing has alot to do with anxiety and panic problems. Because when we have anxiety and panic attacks our breathing is affected. How we  breathe can actually bring on an attack or ease an attack. I honestly believe that we, ourselves, are responsible for our own anxiety and panic attacks!  It is all about how our brain copes with life and life's situations. Anxiety and panic is our brain's way of dealing with pain, uncomfortable situations, anger, fear, things we feel we have no control over. The thing is, if we want to be free of addiction, anxiety, and panic attacks, then we need to confront people, situations, our childhoods, our pasts, our demons etc. Don't do what's easy and take the pill, instead deal with reality, it really won't kill! By the way, this is not intended to judge, or offend. Both my parents were severely mentally ill, as were the majority of family on both sides. I had no chance in hell of not being mentally ill. I am not just writing what I got off the net. What you read here is from experience!
First I would like to bring to your attention this thread is about 3.5 years old and most of the posters are no longer here.

Even though you made some good points, this is a HCV forum. For most of us that suffer from Panic/Anxiety Attacks, it was created by the Treatment we went through. All we can hope for is that one-day our bodies will overcome this. In the mean time, we do what we have to do, to cope with life. I’ve had them wake me up from a deep sleep to the point of chest pains. I thank God for my Xanax

I don’t think you understand the Side Effects and Post Side Effects of this treatment. Maybe your post would be more helpful on one or more of Medhelp’s Forums.