Hepatitis C Community
Am I the only one all hyped up on grapefruit?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I read the article from Science Daily Feb. 08 and the articles on Hepatitis Central, Liver Foundation and Hepatitis Foundation International. They seem real positive about grapefruit. They also list a few drugs which can't be taken with grapefruit. Just came back from my doctor and he said I could have it. He says he has grapefruit everyday. Well, I had already started eating and drinking it. Thought I would be the guinea pig! Maybe I should change my name to the Grape Fruit! Going to be shot 17 tomorrow and feel good today! UND at 12 week and doc says I have a 60-65% chance of clearing. Thanks to all of you for helping to keep me positive. So, see what you think about grapefruit!!
Tags: drugs
Grapefruit or grapefruit supplements are a no no on tx from everythng I have read.  Other will echo this as well.
Trin
He says he has grapefruit everyday.

Does your doctor have hepatitis?  Everything I've ever read and heard said no grapefruit as well.
I was always under the impression that it should be avoided while on tx. Someone asked Dr. D. on the Expert Forum and this is what he replied.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/574506

Marcia
I drank GF juice while on tx.  I just did not take it with the Riba......I thought its interference with absorbtion was the issue just like not taking antacids or fiber pills with the riba.

I'm sure others will know more....oooops!
No I won't drink or eat it with the drugs. I am doing it at lunch and with food. Yea, I can go over board because I did go to buy supplements and a friend who works there told me not to till I found out more. What I was about to buy would have cleaned my stomach out. Not good! She also suggested diluting the juice with water. Its suppose to be the bitter part which has the benefits. The article also said  it would cause the drugs to absorb quickly into your blood. Not good for people on heart meds. My friend at the health food store has two friends with Hep C. One who has done nothing so far and one who just came off tx and did not respond. So, both of them should be able to drink it no problem or take supplements.  I don't think this alone will rid Hep C, but who knows. The article is suggesting taking the grapefruit supplement with the tx as a possible help. My doctor does not have Hep C as far as I know, but says the benefits of grapefruit are tremendous.
Ok if one day you don't hear from me, you'll know I'm in the hospital from toxic grapefruit overdoss! I'll be careful and keep ya'll updated. Don't plan on supplements yet! Just the fruit and juice. But did anyone read the articles?
I don't think this alone will rid Hep C, but who knows.

Who knows?  I know Cindy, and it's never going to happen.  Good for you, probably, cure never in a million years.  
I'm sure it was unintentional, but Marcia's post could  give the impression that Dr. Dieterich is opposed to grapefruit juice on treatment, which he is not.
------------------------------

Dr. Dieterich:

I think as long as you are not taking any drugs that are metabolized in the p450 system, and you can look them up as Marcia suggested above you can take it. Interferon and ribavirin are not metabolized there so if that is all you are taking go ahead, at the recommended dose. I would not turn down help from any quarter in beating this virus! DTD

--------------------------------

Personally, I haven't researched it out, but if I were about to treat it seems a topic worthwhile putting some time into.

-- Jim
Your probably right not in a million years, but its worth a try. Before finding out I had Hep C and thinking I was suffering just from old age, I bought every stinking kind of supplement there was. Then when I found out I looked for everything for the liver and bought that too. If I didn't already have it. I have 17 just here in my shop! I was active and tried to keep myself healthy with food and excerise. Then I kind of just got tired. Dropped off taking stuff and doing what I know to be good. NOT a cure, just a help. I know too much is not good and just got to the point of didn't know what to take. So, I haven't taken hardly anything since I started tx, just trying to eat right. What got me going on the supplements and food to start with was watch my Mother fight emphysema for many years. When she began watching what she was eating and taking supplements I saw an increase in the health. Still a terminal thing and she died in 2000. But shef ought it for many years and actually felt good several of them. Inteferon is a natural substance. Don't know about the riba! Its from hell as far as I know! But hopefully it works. I'm not claiming to know everything but I have to look. That's the reason I'm here. And I do want your opinon or I wouldn't ask. Just thinking the whole thing out and trying not to just sit here. Read the damn article! Please. And tell me what you think, again. I don't read so well!
Love,
Cindy
I don't know if I've read that exact article or not but I have read about the helpful qualities of grapefruit juice for Hep C.  I, too, know it's NOT a cure but if it helps keep the monsters at bay even for an extra second, I will try it.  I do currently drink grapefruit juice every day because I don't take any medications that will have interaction problems.  
When I start treatment in two weeks I intend to ask my doc if it's okay to continue drinking a glass a day but, so far, the only things my doc has told me to avoid are alcohol and iron in the form of supplements/vitamins.

After reading Dr. Dieterich's response to the grapefruit question a few weeks ago, I was reassured that it will not be a problem to drink a glass of grapefruit juice a day while on treatment.  I'll most likely take it at a time that is right in the middle of the two riba doses - as long as my GI doc doesn't have a problem with it.  As Dr. Dieterich said:  "I would not turn down help from any quarter in beating this virus."
Oh this is meant to be a cure for hepc?

With all the data we've heard contrary to taking it with meds - I wouldn't do it in a million years.  But then I wouldn't expect it to cure hep in a million years either.

Juicer Anybody?
Confused now........seems you are on treatment.  Just be careful.  Grapefruit juice isn't going to do anything about curing you or keeping the critters at bay really but if you like it have a glass once in a while.
I can't understand how your stomach can manage it though my God even water gave me heartburn and without antacides....ouch.
If your on other meds, make sure they do not conflict. There is a sample list on hepfi.org. Some anti-depressants and a few others don't do well with grapefruit. I am taking Cymbalta and we'll just see what happens. It wasn't listed and my doctor said it would be ok. We will see. If I understood correctly, grapefruit will enhance or build up the drugs in your blood. So, if your on high blood pressure meds for instance, it could cause it to go down too much. If your on a high dose of anti dep. you could get too much. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The one thing I did get from the articles is, the bad cholesterol which the virus attaches itself to, is eliminated out of the body with grapefruit.
Yea, watching the build up! I'm not big on acid either. But so far so good. I have always liked it in salads and other things. I am drinking lots of water. I started my first shot May 3. Tomorrow will be 17. And the damn white cell shot along with a few more. I checked as well as possible on the drug conflict. Its been up and down! This stuff really *****! My language has become very colorful again and I am glad to have you guys to talk to and understand this ****. I have learned more from this forum than from the Pegasys folks. Bragging to my doctor about this place this morning. I will be sure and let everyone know the first time I have a problem with Grape Fruit. No I'm not a Juicer, but I could start. My relative bought one of those Jack LaLane ones and isn't using it. I'm going to talk her out of it! It really does make good juice. But I'm not a juicer in the "Juicer" terms. Now, I'm the "Grape Fruit".
Thanks for you help,
Cindy
Oh, I do need to watch my words! Just saw my letters x out! I'm sorry! I've been using a new one I saw on here and thought it was ok. Rat Bxxxxt! Used it on the scamers who almost gave my Old Dad another heart attack last night. Texted him on his phone and told him he had a problem with his checking account. Almost went Riba on them! Used that word several times. Monkey Suit #%$#%% and a few others. You know what the best medicine is? Laughter. "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine".
Thanks for verifying that. I should have written that I had always been under the impression that one shouldn't have it while on tx, until I read Dr. D's reply.

I think the problem would be though, that many ppl are taking more than just Riba and Peg when on tx... So every drug and / or vitamin should be checked, before taking it.

I personally stopped the grapefruit about 1 month before tx. And I'm NOT intending to have any while txing.
grapefruit juice is supposed to lower viral load.....but you're already clear.
What grapefruit Juice does is lower your Viral Load. It will not cure HepC but may make Tx more likely to work if taken prior to Tx. Less of the damn things to kill off.

There are other Fruit Juices such as Pomegranate and Cranberry that may also do the same thing only not as well as Grapefruit.

All these Juices inhibit CYP3A4 and HCV doesnt seem to like low levels of this enzyme.
However apx 60% of drugs are metabolised by 3A4.

Another downside is that even though it is bitter GF also has plenty of sugar which wont help with Insulin Resistance.
GF also has some pro oxidant potential see link below
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/498814 - HR, your views on Naringenin?
Large amounts of GF may not be a good thing

Taking Grapefruit in the months just prior to Tx seems like a good idea to me.
Just not sure about during Tx yet.

CS
- MedHeadlines - http://medheadlines.com -

Grapefruit, Other Juices Block Drug Absorbency Rate

Posted By MedHeadlines On 21 August, 2008 @ 8:13 In Prevention | 2 Comments

It’s been almost 20 years since Canadian David G. Bailey, PhD, reported his surprising finding that taking certain medications, including commonly prescribed blood pressure medications, with grapefruit juice increases the body’s absorbency rate of these particular drugs, causing the drugs to be absorbed in such quantities that the therapeutic effect can be heightened to the point of threatened overdose.  Earlier today, Bailey reported to the American Chemical Society that further research has proven that grapefruit juice has just the opposite effect on other drugs, hindering their absorption in ways that render them useless in many cases.

Bailey, professor of clinical pharmacology at the University of Western Ontario, presented his findings at the 236th national meeting of the chemical society, where he reported similar absorbency-blocking effects in orange and apple juices, too.  It is Bailey’s recommendation that, unless directed otherwise, anyone taking prescription medications of any kind do so with water only for the safest and most beneficial outcome.

Bailey’s research team studied three groups of individuals taking fexofenadine, an antihistamine.  One group took the antihistamine with grapefruit juice; another with water laced with naringin, the substance that makes grapefruit juice taste bitter; and the third group took the antihistamine with just water.

Analysis revealed that the grapefruit juice hindered absorption by as much as half over the group taking the medication with water alone.  The difference is said to be enough to generate a critical difference in the treatment of many serious medical problems.

Calling his findings merely the “tip of the iceberg,” Bailey expressed confidence that more research will reveal more interactions between drugs and the liquids they are taken with.  For the moment, however, some of the drugs that are known to be not fully absorbed when taken with grapefruit, orange, and apple juices include:

the anticancer agent etoposide;
beta blockers atenolol, celiprolol, and talinolol, frequently prescribed for hypertension and to prevent heart attacks;
cyclosporine, the drug that helps prevent organ rejection after transplants; and
the antibiotics ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and itraconazole.
Source: American Chemical Society

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from MedHeadlines: http://medheadlines.com

URL to article: http://medheadlines.com/2008/08/21/grapefruit-other-juices-block-drug-absorbency-rate/

Click here to print.

Copyright © 2008 MedHeadlines. All rights reserved.
IFN and Ribavirin arent metbolised by the same enzymes that Grapefruit inhibits.
Therefore it should not be an issue unless you are taking other drugs that are

CS
I am in follow up for a trial for a PI and took peg & riba also, am still on soc tx.  One of the restrictions during the trial was no grapefruit or grapefruit products as it interferes with the absorption of the drugs, whether for better or worse no-one mentioned. Since finishing the study drug I have adhered to the restrictions and I am still UND at 14 weeks.

This is my second tx and I was a non-responder in my first tx, during which I drank grapefruit juice all the time as I love it and have a grapefruit tree in the garden.

I am not saying it was because of the grapefruit that I didn't respond last time but I made a decision this time I was going to do things differently and consider grapefruit as a no no.  To the point that I won't even use shampoo or lotions with it in.  I also used those sorts of products last time as many organic shampoos have grapefruit extract in them.  I read a lot of finely printed labels before I buy anything!

I think the key thing with it is that is DOES alter absorption but you can not be too sure whether it will increase or inhibit.  My mother is also not allowed to have grapefruit or grapefruit products because she is on a blood thinner for her heart.

Of course this is just my opinion based on my experience.  Everyone is different and has to do what they think is right.

All the best
M :)
I eat an avacado every day in Pam Anderson's honor, along with a nice big juicy steak... ;)
http://****.***

Do I have to give up grapefruit completely if it interacts with my medicine?Not necessarily. There are several factors to consider. Some people are resistant to the grapefruit effectbecause they have lower levels of CYP 3A4. Unfortunately, this is not something most clinicallaboratories are likely to measure. An occasional half grapefruit or glass of juice may not raise bloodlevels enough to cause serious problems, but before doing this experiment, check with your doctor

A Complete List of Drugs That Interact with Grapefruit Juice

http://****.***

Anthelmintic: albendazole Antibiotics: clarithromycin, erythromycin, troleandomycin Antiarrhythmics: amiodarone, quinidine Anticoagulant: warfarin Antiepileptic: carbamazepine Antifungal: itraconazole Antihistamine: fexofenadine Antineoplastics: cyclophosphamide, etoposide, ifosfamide, tamoxifen, vinblastine, vincristine Antitussive: dextromethorphan Antivirals: amprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir Anxiolytics: alprazolam, buspirone, midazolam, triazolam Benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment: finasteride Beta-blockers: carvedilol Calcium channel blockers: diltiazem, felodipine, nicardipine, nifedipine, nimodipine, nisoldipine, verapamil Erectile dysfunction drugs: sildenafil, tadalafil Hormone replacement: cortisol, estradiol, methylprednisolone, progesterone, testosterone Immunosuppressants: cyclosporine, sirolimus, tacrolimus HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors: atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin Opioids: alfentanil, fentanyl, sufentanil Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: fluvoxamine, sertraline Xanthine: theophylline
Personally, I think far too much energy, time and concern are being generated over 'grapefruit' juice.  Its not a wonder drug, or a cure for anything, except maybe a big thirst, and it may at times cause either over or under-absorption of various drugs.  I don't think that the juice is going to do anything more for someone drinking it than most good 'placebos' would do, and in some cases may cause some problems with medications.  Why even bother with it.

I really am amazed at the confidence we all can sometimes invest in some everyday food or herbal substance (me included), all the while down deep really knowing that any of the stuff has minimal impact on anything.  If you want action for HCV, the only thing that has any significant effect is still, unfortunately, good old Interferon in all its wonderful forms, and Ribavirin....and now several inhibitor class drugs.   The magic potion, new age, herbal/ natural remedy proposition  provides great health, ...chiefly for those that sell the stuff, and write books about it.  Now there's good health for you!

DoubleDose
Foods wont rid you of hep,BUT...they do help the liver function better.....who ever claims herbs or foods can kill the virus are not all there.
The best fruit for the live is lemons....and mangosteen.
I knew I would get a good balance perspective on this!
Thanks for all your info. Please add if you have any more.
Love you all,
Cindy
I didn't read every post on this thread, but the most important answer you have is the one from Dr. Dietrich.  Tx drugs are not metabolized in the p450 system and the grapefruit is, so not only is it ok, but it may be beneficial.  God Bless
I started buying grapefruit juice after reading things on this forum. I put a little steviaside in it to sweeten it up(another "might be beneficial" substance). Not on treatment, not holding my breath waiting for grapefruit. I think grapefruit also has something to help the memory. Now what was this thread about? . . . . .
Yes, I cleared at 12 week, test just said <50. From Quest Lab. Not sure how sensitive. But I am going 48 weeks. The virus is still hiding in the tissues, correct. I think thats what I was told.
Cindy

The sensitivity is  50 IU/ml

Correct, even though UND, the virus is still in hiding and thus you need to treat for 48 weeks.

Marcia
Maybe this is a repeat..if so..apologies.

You might want to consider taking citrus bioflavonoids which contains naringenin.
Haven't found that flavanoid alone so far.
Like said in the article...it would probably need to be taken by injection for it to be very affective.

Aren't there more sensitive tests?...5 IU/ml?

Grapefruit Compound Inhibits Hepatitis C Virus
Flavonoid called naringenin silences infection pathway, hints of new disease treatments
-- Robert Preidt

TUESDAY, May 6 (HealthDay News) -- The grapefruit flavonoid naringenin inhibits the secretion of Hepatitis C virus (HCV) in infected cells and could offer a new approach for treating the disease, according to a Harvard Medical School study.

About 3 percent of the global population is infected with HCV, which can lead to cirrhosis and liver cancer. The current standard therapy of interferon and ribavirin is only effective in about 50 percent of cases and can cause major side effects, according to background information in the study.

Recent research suggests that HVC may be "hitching a ride" along the lipoprotein life cycle, and that compounds and dietary supplements that influence lipoprotein metabolism may also affect HCV.

In this new study, researchers demonstrated that HCV is actively secreted by infected cells while bound to a very low-density lipoprotein.

"Silencing apolipoprotein B (Apo-B) mRNA in infected cells causes a 70 percent reduction in the secretion of both ApoB-100 and HCV. This ApoB-dependent HCV secretion pathway suggests a novel therapeutic approach for the treatment of HCV infection," the researchers wrote.

They then tested the grapefruit flavonoid naringenin and found it reduced HCV secretion in infected cells by 80 percent.

"The concept of supplementing HCV patients' diets with naringenin is appealing," the researchers wrote.
*But they noted the intestinal wall doesn't absorb naringenin well, which means therapeutic doses of the flavonoid would have to be given by injection or combined with other compounds to boost its absorption by the intestines.

The researchers also noted that naringenin and several other compounds in grapefruit have significant drug-drug interactions.

"Future studies would focus on long-term ability of naringenin and perhaps other citrus flavonoids to reduce viral load in animal models and long-term cultures of primary human hepatocytes," the researchers concluded.

The study was published in the May issue of Hepatology.

More information

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more about hepatitis C.

content by:

SOURCE: Hepatology, news release, April 29, 2008
Everything I have found, agrees with Cocksparrow's information.  We have purchased naringenin capsules very affordably from Swansons vitamins on the web.  Just check and double check your other meds with a pharmacist before taking it.  I bothered several pharmacists before I was satisfied that we were ok.  HR recommended taking other good antioxidants if you were trying naringenin to help counterbalance the oxidation possibility.  He didn't advise using it.  He just laid out cautions if you decided to use it.  
We have chosen to take some calculated risks with this being Joe's 3rd attempt and him being at stage 4.
Go with caution,
Ev
DelMonte Fruit Naturals come in a box. These are red grapefruit cups that are delicious and don't make you pucker as slicing into a defenseless grapefruit does. They are available at Costco and grocery stores.

I also drink one small glass daily of pure pomogranate juice by Lander's, also available at Costco and other stores. The combination of these two has helped bring down the viral load according to my last blood work. The Hepatologist and Gastroenterologist both know I have this daily regiment and did not warn me about any adverse effects or potential trauma to my body or liver....Otherwise, it's up to you...

Magnum
Wow! I got a very nice note from FreeandClear. She ate lots of fat to absorb the drugs with her treatment of Pegatron ?spelling. Said her beginning viral was 5 mil. but couldn't be sure it wasn't higher. She has been clear for 5 years. Since 2002. And she was a 1a. She warned me about adding things to the treatment. If I can figure out how to post her note up here I will. I'm a late bloomer computer wise.
I believe in eating healthy. And the grapefruit study sounds hopeful. A little confussed! Her experience said a lot and something everyone needs to hear.
Cindy

My take on treatment is that it doesn't make sense to add things that even have the remotest possibility of causing problems with absorption of the treatment drugs.  Also, the study that people are following states that naringinen would need to be given by injection to be effective.  Also, the study clearly states that there was a reduction, not an eradication of the virus in the cells of whatever model they were studying, just for anyone who thought the flavonoid might provide a cure (I know there probably isn't anyone hanging on for grapefruit as a cure, but people get strange ideas sometimes).

So it just seems like a lot of risk to me for people to fool around with drinking it while treating when any real benefits would need to be via injection anyway.  On the other hand, everyone has to do what they're comfortable with.
Heres an update on the Grapefruit. I believe it was causing at least one of the 7 drugs I was on to absorb more into my system. I would feel bad and have more skin issues when I would drink it. I just finished treatment and will not be able to say I helped with any major break through on Grapefruit Juice!
I have some fermented juice still in the frig. if anyone is interested!
Finished tx on March 28th! Hopeing for Non-detect on 4 month in July! Appetite is off the chart but not for Grapefruit! I prefer Burger King Whoppers right now. Not the organic veggie diet I have been on for 3 years.
Thanks for the update.  I am planning on drinking it after tx and getting my daughter on it pre-tx. Don't want to even think about it on tx....all I want is lettuce, or ice cream, lol!
why do they call it Grapefruit when it is not made of grapes?  
In the same vein, why do they call it hamburger when it’s not made of ham?