Hepatitis C Community
Ammonia level in body

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Ammonia level in body

My brother has HEP C and he verifying whether or not he can be put on the transplant list.  My brother also has Aids.  He has been in and out of the hospital for the fluid filling up in his stomach and they have to drain it.  He has been back and forth to the hospital because his ammonia levels get high and he gets very disoriented.  He is on Cobra now because he has to be on SS disability for 2 years before he gets medicaid.  But we're afraid that he's reached is max on his insurance now and people are telling us if he does there's no way they'll do a transplant if you don't have insurance?  Is that true?  ANd also is it really bad that the ammonia level keeps going up and his stomach keeps filling up with fluid?
Hi there;

So sorry to hear about your brother
Thank you for your response.  He was on the transplant list, but they took him off it.  They had to take him off his aids meds last month - and he went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and the doctor told him that he could no longer get the transplant and that he had 2 or more weeks to live.  He is in a hospice hospital in Fl.  we went last week and he was out of it, we started talking to him and he became aware that we were there and he started picking up last week, but this week it seems to be getting slowly worst - throwing up black stuff (I'm assuming dried blood) because he also has a problem with his espofsgus-I don't no how to spell it - he had surgery a couple of times on it because it was getting holes in it - but they couldn't do anything else - he has constant hic cups - but he tries to eat to get stronger, he still thinks he getting the liver transplant - he blocked everything the doctor told him - but who knows how anyone would react in the same situation.  The doctor said that he had a strong will that is why everything he had gone through before this he pulled out of - but I don't think he will this time.  Its scary - but I don't want him to suffer.  The nurses say that last week they call it "Rallying" because everyone was around - I really thought the doctor was wrong and he was getting stronger, but now I don't no.