Hepatitis C Community
Anal Pain

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Anal Pain

I'm new to this blogging network. I'm finishing week 2 of triple therapy. Started with anal pain, itching where you can't reach, burning and pure agony at end of week1.  My Dr said to "avoid spicy foods"..really?!???! No appetite let alone consider eating a spicy food..what's wrong with him???  I am using my ice stick that USED to go in my water bottle to chill things out and wipe with Pampers soft baby wipes and toss in trash can, also, warm showers, anusol suppository at  bedtime. These seem to keep the head rush of pain to a minimum.  Anyone else having this issue.  I know the metabolites of the Incivek are the culprit. I drink 2 liters of water/day eat my 20gms fat with each dose (ugh) and  
I had the same discomfort during my 12 week run of incivek.  I called it "the wiggles" to make light of it, but it was no fun.

Of course, everything I ate was chosen with the outcome in mind.  I made cool compresses out of tucks that helped.  Annusol and prepH helped somewhat, but my doctor finally gave me an rx for ProctoFoam.  That helped me the best-along with the Tucks.

For me it started almost immediately, but the good news is that it ended just as abruptly.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this issue.  Just remember, in the end (no pun intended) hearing SVR will make this all seem worth it.

All the best,

Isobella
staying focused  on only having 10w to go sounds like the best remedy.. all the best on a speedy journey.

I opted for Vic over Inci in part because I didn't want to deal with this, however the tradeoff  is having to endure PI sx for longer. 12w weeks of  Inci seems near the limit of human endurance : Vertex only tried one arm with P+R + and more than 12w of Tela (in Prove 3) and the discontinuation rate there was 50%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558488
im on 10th week of incivek....i had that burning fun for first 8 weeks its not fun!...but it has mellowed out now thank God....be glad to stop those pills in 3 weeks....they say 29% get the " *** on fire sx "      14 more weeks and i'm FREEEEEEE.....
I'm curious, because even though I jumped into the telaprevir pool eagerly for the phase 3 trials, I am more cautious now that my daughter is facing tx.

In the link to the abstract you posted, it said.."The average dropout rate in Phase 3 trials as a result of adverse effects was 13%"

Did you read the entire text?  I was going to, but at $25 for a one time peek, it seemed kinda steep.  But I'd love to know how the 50% figure you stated would break down by sx.

definitely not worth $25 - it's simply a review of already published studies. However their Table 1 does conveniently gather in one place all results from Tela phase2 and 3 trials. If you PM a place to copy/send the pdf I'll forward it, The 50% discontinuation for the T24PR48 arm of PROVE 3 was much higher than  in any other tela trial. Overall, Phase III discontinuation rates were considerably lower than for Phase II. From the Vertex FDA submission it seems this was in part due  to better management and quicker intervention of rash. Limiting tela to 12w also likely helped since the two arms with highest discontinuation rates applied tela for 24w (and there was no SVR benefit from the longer exposure).

All the best with a tough decision. My hunch is that with kids  briefer will be easier, even if more intense.
What did you eat with your incivek?