Hepatitis C Community
Anemia During Treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Anemia During Treatment

Is there a newly FDA approved drug for anemia, that requires just one injection a month?
"Its also for chemotherapy patients.  This is chemotherapy"

Increased mortality and/or increased risk of tumor progression or recurrence in patients with cancer: The safety and efficacy of OMONTYS have not been established for use in patients with anemia due to cancer chemotherapy. OMONTYS is not indicated in patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy.

http://www.omontys.com/
Yes.

Affymax developed a drug they named "Omontys".

I don't know anything about it other that Affymax claims it can be injected once a month and that it works in a similar fashion as Epogen(Procrit).

I think it is targeted primarily to the dialysis population.

Mike
Its also for chemotherapy patients.  This is chemotherapy.
Oh boy.

Mike
No this is not chemotherapy. It is a chemical therapy but not chemo. Ask anyone who has done both they will strongly argue it is not.

And whats the big deal I did procrit twice a week.........no biggie.
I've done both and this is chemotherapy.  I've had many shots of procrit.
What I did find out is that FDA only approved the new drug for dialysis.  To bad!!!  Ask your doctor what the medical term is for this treatment.

Thought there was hope for some of you having to deal with anemia.
Have a great day
Rut Roo
To quote a famous quote "oh boy" why did I know this was coming?

You are incorrect.

I speak English but I'm not from England.
You don't need to be rude.
No not the same.

The chemotherapy that you'd get for cancer isn't used to treat hepatitis C. But Bacon sayshepatitis C treatment can have side effects "that are akin to what patients experience when they receive cancer chemotherapy." That includes temporary hair loss.
The peginterferon-ribavirin combination is "sometimes loosely called chemotherapy," says Bacon. "I don't like to give it that negative connotation, to try to keep things positive for patients. So I call it treatment for their viral infection or antiviral therapy."

http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/news/20080910/natalie-cole-hepatitis-c-faq?page=2
Thats why its not called cancer chemotherapy.  This shouldn't be
seen as negative.  But its really interesting its being taken there.
Chemotherapy is the use of drugs to kill bacteria, viruses, fungi and
cancer cells.  
Have a great week-end
Chemotherapy is the use of drugs to kill bacteria, viruses, fungi, and cancer cells. Most commonly, the term is used to refer to cancer-killing drugs.

The rest of the definition

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002324.htm

Chemotherapy
Definition
Chemotherapy is treatment of cancer with anticancer drugs.
Purpose
The main purpose of chemotherapy is to kill cancer cells. It usually is used to treat patients with cancer that has spread from the place in the body where it started (metastasized). Chemotherapy destroys cancer cells anywhere in the body. It even kills cells that have broken off from the main tumor and traveled through the blood or lymph systems to other parts of the body.
Chemotherapy can cure some types of cancer. In some cases, it is used to slow the growth of cancer cells or to keep the cancer from spreading to other parts of the body. When a cancer has been removed by surgery, chemotherapy may be used to keep the cancer from coming back (adjuvant therapy). Chemotherapy also can ease the symptoms of cancer, helping some patients have a better quality of life.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/chemotherapy
Most commonly, the term is used to refer to cancer-killing drug.
Its Chemotherapy that is targeting the hep c virus in your body.  If
it is a common term or not its chemotherapy.  Thanks hrsepwrguy

PEGASYS is an antiviral indicated for:
Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C (CHC) in patients 5 years of age and older
with compensated liver disease not previously treated with interferon alpha, in patients with histological evidence of cirrhosis and compensated liver disease.

http://www.gene.com/gene/products/information/pegasys/pdf/pi.pdf

COPEGUS is a nucleoside analogue indicated for the treatment of chronic
hepatitis C

http://www.gene.com/gene/products/information/pegasys/pdf/copegus_pi.pdf

Nucleoside analogues are a range of antiviral products used to prevent viral replication in infected cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleoside_analogue

12 CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
12.1 Mechanism of Action
Telaprevir is a direct-acting antiviral agent (DAA) against the hepatitis C virus

http://pi.vrtx.com/files/uspi_telaprevir.pdf

12 CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
12.1 Mechanism of Action
VICTRELIS is a direct acting antiviral drug against the hepatitis C virus

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/victrelis/victrelis_pi.pdf

Chemotherapy definition - Cancer Information (Cancers, Symptoms,
Treatment) on MedicineNet.com
Treatment)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for confirming that Pegasys/Riba tx for HCV is not a cancer treatment and therefore not defined as chemotherapy.  Glad we cleared that up.
Definition of CHEMOTHERAPY

: the use of chemical agents in the treatment or control of disease or mental disorder

From the Websters Medical Dictionary
for what's its worth my doctor said it was a form of chemo. I went on line for the last hour at least and this debut has been going for several years, and right here on this forum - back in May 2009.  There was someone taking this treatment for melonoma and has been used in rare cases of leukimia.  Someone taking microbiology had this question on a test - the answer was they are the same.Chemothepy was developed for cancer and people assume that  it is the only use for it..  so the debut goes on!!! (but does it really matter?)
I was in a very serious accident and a doctor told me I would need Chemotherapy to fight a bad infection from a compound elbow break. I was young at the time and said "I thought that was for cancer" He explained that Chemo is any Chemo and Therapy was any therapy regardless of what it is for.

So by definition everyone taking AD's or any drug for that matter is on chemotherapy ?

Main Entry: 1an·ti·vi·ral
Pronunciation: -vi-rl
Variant(s): also an·ti·vi·rus /-rs/
Function: adjective
: acting, effective, or directed against viruses  

Main Entry: 2antiviral
Function: noun
: an antiviral agent and especially a drug

http://www2.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwmedsamp
When I was a new member, I made the same mistake. It's kind of a common one. But, I learned a lot since 2005 and have no problem admitting I was wrong and learning from those who know more than me.

That is the purpose of this forum after all.
I don't understand why you posed the title of this post as a question:
" Is there a new FDA approved drug for anemia, that just requires one injection a month"
Only to proceed to tell us this drug is for chemotherapy.
If you want to discuss this drug fine, but to present it as a question, and argue about the answer seems like you're baiting people simply to argue.
Not the best way to share information, in my opinion.

http://www.omontys.com/
OH, your exactly right. That was the whole purpose.
I am not sure about once a month anti anemia drug in just a case your Hg gets too high. If too high it can cause high blood pressure even stroke. I work in hemodialysis and our doctors are hesitant to prescribe this drug for the reasons above.
What" ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in "What"

good analogy nygirl

chemo or not; it sux. the funny thing is that Procrit is not FDA approved for Hep C treatment....well not too funny, what do those knuckleheads know.
I find it very odd that the chosen best answer did not apply to your question about this new drug at all.
Hmmm, what is your motive dear ?
No need to reply to me, I point this out to help you take a better look at yourself.
I have no motive other to help others.  What does concern me is your
not seeing it as helping others.  
Mikesimon answered your question, and  instead of thanking him, you immediately switch the topic onto whether or not we call interferon tx chemotherapy.
Is that your motive of helping others ?

It's fine to discuss semantics however it has nothing to do with the topic of your post.

I realize while doing tx it's hard not to react with emotions and it's easy to digress.
Try to keep on topic, just saying :)
The question and best answer had everything to do with the topic of the
post.   I sorry you didn't like my question or the answer.  We can agree
to not agree.  
I find this thread interesting.....
It's not about agreement. Its about logic and intent.
I thought the post was about a new drug for anemia.
If it was about whether hep C is considered chemotherapy, you should have stated it as such.
Clarity helps everyone.

Good day~I've got a busy one, gotta go.
This is why I said "Oh boy".

This invariably turns into what we see here. And the most remarkable thing is it makes no difference whatsoever what you call it. It can be chemo if that suits you. It sounds wrong to me but what do I know? I merely tried to respond to the question presented.

Mike
So why is everyone so worked up about it?
There are more serious issues to debate, or better yet howzabout putting some energy into support and phrasing replies a little more respectfully?
but seriously folks, anemia is a big problem for us. if there is a new drug (better than procrit) that would be great....i'll be sure to ask my white coats next time around....getting back on topic i am...

sidenote: i just flew in from France, and boy are my arms tired....wah wah..ahhh French Maid?
Actually mikesimon deserves the credit, I copy and pasted the name of the drug from his post, entered it in to search engine and waa laa, the prescribing info, imagine that.

Larry
You deserve the credit.  Thank You Again
This thread is closed.  

Emily

*************************  CLOSED THREAD  *****************************
                          NO MORE POSTS, PLEASE