Hepatitis C Community
Ankle/Feet Swelling with HepC

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Ankle/Feet Swelling with HepC

I've had ankle and feet swelling prior to learning I have HepC. Can anyone recommend a water pill that would be less toxic for my liver?  I have read that Dyazide can be harmful and am looking for alternatives.  Thanks!
Sorry, don't know anything about water pills but stay away from salt as much as possible and elevate your legs when laying down.
  You need to make an appt with a Hepatologist. I know my Doctor does prescribe many of the people in my Hep C support group a water-pill, and that it is very important to keep that fluid down.
  There are many new treatments for Hep C coming out next year. Have you had your liver biopsied yet?
You should see a hepatologist (liver specialist) which are found at liver transplant centers to find out the cause of the swelling and the extent of your liver disease (stage). Edema (swelling) of the lower legs, ankles and feet can be a complications of cirrhosis (scaring) of the liver which can be caused by decades of being chronically infected with hepatitis C as well as other serious illnesses.

You should NEVER self medicate. Edema is a symptom of a underlying disease not a disease itself. If you have cirrhosis as many medications are toxic to the liver and can make your liver disease worse. Patients with edema usually have portal hypertension which results in varices (enlarged veins) and an enlarged spleen which can be diagnosed by any hepatologist Their are dietary changes and diuretics that cirrhotics should take to manage fluid accumulations. Cirrhosis of the liver is a very serious illness and needs a specialist in liver disease to properly manage it.

You should at a minimum have I liver biopsy to stage your liver disease to find out if you have stage 4 liver disease. Cirrhosis.

Good luck.
Hector
An alternative for Dyazide? Dyazide treats high blood pressure and water retention. I agree with what has been said
I agree with Hector...see your doctor.  I had same problem and my hepatologist prescribed meds that work great.  Also start drinking more water, reducing your salt/sodium and sugar intake.  Here is what I just posted for someone else:

You'll get differing opinions here but drink as much water as you can. You are flushing your system which is good. You don't want to drink gallon upon gallon but 1 - 2 liters is a good start.  My hepatologist recommends at least 3 liters a day. A gallon is 3.78 liters ...most liters sold are 1.05 so it takes 4 liters to make a gallon. I drink water from a bottle, it is just easier, I have a Brita and a Pur, make my own, fill up the bottles, use pint bottles...add a few squeezes of lemon juice and off I go. The colder the better.  The more I drink water the better I off I am.  Good luck getting use to it.  I am still struggling with giving up cokes.  You can drink tea or coffee too. People think if I drink water I will hold it...that just not normally true...but if you have edema or like I did my legs were getting leaden and my feet started looking like the 10 little piggies went to market and my ankles swelled, I asked him and he took one look and prescribed meds.
Almost instantly was better.

Also try to reduce your salt/sodium intake.  The recommended daily intake of 2,300 mg. (1 tsp.) per day.  People with health issue should reduce their salt/sodium intake to 1,150 mg a day (1/2 tsp.).  The average American consumes 6# pounds of salt a year.  Approximately 80% of daily sodium intake is in processed foods.  Start reading labels. You'll be surprised.

Reduce sugar intake.  Average American yearly intake is 70 - 80 pounds. Again a lot of that sugar is in processed foods.  If it says no fat you can be sure it is carbohydrate loaded.  

Every one need a rounded balance of fruits, vegetables, fat, protein and dairy in their diets as long as you can tolerate them.  You can make alterations but you want to keep your body hydrated because your body has to have a certain percentage of water to maintain...when I was an EMT and worked the mini-marathon, runners would have awful leg cramps from lack of potassium and water.  Your muscles need water just like your skin does too. Water is good for you.

Call your hepatologist as soon as possible.
Oh and p.s. the meds he prescribed where very inexpensive, probably less than over the counter junk.
I was diagnosed in September of 2010 with HCV and have had a liver biopsy and many other tests.  I'm Geno 1A with Stage 2 Fibrosis and do see a Hepatologist every 3-4 months.  I called my Hepatologist yesterday and he said to try salt restriction and if that doesn't work he will prescribe something but since I don't really have any other health issues and don't take other meds he does not want me to take anything unless it's absolutely necessary so we'll wait and see.  I have gotten swelling in my feet and ankles when the humidity is high and when on airplanes for years before I was diagnosed and my primary care doctor just suggested more walking and exercise.  

Thanks for your input.  I don't post much but do follow this thread and your opinion is valued.
Thanks to everyone for their post!  I called my Hepatologist yesterday and was advised to try extreme salt reduction first.  The less meds in my body at this time the better.  He implied there may be more new clinical trials/studies coming out this summer and I'm hoping to get into one that doesn't use interferon.  I missed the last one by 1/10th of a number on my bilirubin :(
dear fellow Michiganer...I know I had complained over phone to my doc and got the same result and then went to appointment and had on sandals and put my bare feet out in front of him and said what is wrong with this picture.  But my swelling was getting so bad that from calf to ankle I would feel numb by day's end and I swear my toes were start to look like nubs.  He said why didn't you tell me your feet were this swollen.  Sometimes I think you have to be right in front of them.  I am Stage 4 ESLD with decompensated liver so my hepatologist is extremely careful to what he prescribes for me.  

Read my paragraph on the salt/sodium intake. It is hard. Today I was in a rush and out at my mom's and had a can of tomato basil soup and used up half of my sodium daily intake.  I am a salt alcoholic so this has been a trial for me but I am getting there.

Remember there are natural diuretic's like asparagus and cranberries and I bet there are others.  Good luck....
Thanks for your response.  My hepatologist did recommend that I monitor my salt intake and so that is what I shall do and hope for the best.  He did say if that did not help he would prescribe something for me but since I have not yet ever been treated and there is a possibility of another clinical trial coming out this summer, the less meds I am on, the better.  This disease is definitely a cloud hanging over but I also refuse to live in a bubble!  Thanks again for your response.