Antibiotics for ear ache & swollen outer ear
I am on  peginterferon-riba and my question is, will antibiotics for the possible ear infection , if given, adversely my peg-riba treatment?  I am at week 8 to tx.

My ears itched for at least 10 months before tx.  Strangely, when I began tx, the itching ear stopped for about the first 4 weeks.
I have had a trobbing ear ache for 2 days, outer ear is swollen.  My ears began itching about 2 weeks ago & I self medicated & used qtips in  attempt to  relieve itching.   will go to MD tomorrow or Urgent care.

Any info on itching ears during HCV tx would be greatly appreciated.

I was using Floxin ear drops and taking an antibiotic called SMZ-TMP  for an ear infection when I started peg-riba treatment 6 weeks ago. Neither is listed in the drug interaction guides as being contra-indicated with the hep C drugs. However, I am under the impression that the SMZ-TMP made it even harder to stay hydrated than it is already on TX. Just had my first viral load test since starting TX today; I'll let you know if I flunked!

As always, just tell your Doctor what medications you are taking when he is going to prescribe something new for you. My GP carries a palm pilot in his lab coat that he looks up drug interactions on. Best of luck to you!
Thank you for the info.  I will mention the Floxin and SMZ-TMP to the MD.  That is great your MD carries the palm pilot to check out the interactions on the spot.  I will definitely notice if my Doc is that efficient!

Very best wishes  to you with your first viral load.  I  know it is difficult to wait for results.  I don't think we flunk on the first!  We have many more to go.  
Have had three ear/sinus infections and used two different antibiotics .....this was from week 11-17 or so of treatment.  was a RVR at two weeks and am still UND in week 21.

so no problems with antibiotics.

Ears and other stuff is itchy because everything is dry. use nasal saline and it will help your ears as well.

deb
I have gotten the Floxin eardrops,  The already seem to help and I am  positive it will get better each day!  Thanks again for your help.
I took out half an ear drum 10 years ago so I'm prone to ear infections but one of the worse I ever had was in April, 5 months after starting TX.

My PCP irrigated one ear but couldn't see through the junk in the other to clean it out.

I went to an ENT and he had to literally drill through the left ear to clear the infection.

Although the PCP had given me cipro drops, the ENT said that if I hadn't had the ear drained by him, the drops never would have reached the infection.

It lasted for over a month and then recurred in JUly.

this time I was put on oral antibiotics along with the ciprodex drops and so far it hasn't come back.

Good luck,

wyntre
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
jimgreg on now 400 mg of lamctal,,a... Comment
Track your weight over time